Notices

can you run a o-ringed block without the orings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you run a o-ringed block without the orings?

Visually what does the cometic head gasket look like that i would run on a o-ringed block? Is the center piece one part or is it 2 pieces?
Old 01-22-2003, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: can you run a o-ringed block without the orings? (turboex)

I don't understand your question. Does not match the title
Old 01-22-2003, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can you run a o-ringed block without the orings? (earl)

ok sorry 2 questions. First what is the visual diffrence between the 2 gaskets made my cometic. and second can you run a sleeved o-ringed block without the o-rings? or will it leak. See when we ran a cometic gasket with the o-rings in the block (not the gasket) it leaked instantly. The cyl's filled up with coolant. But when i pulled the o-rings out it sealed and the car ran but still burnt a good bit of water.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: can you run a o-ringed block without the orings? (turboex)

ok sorry 2 questions. First what is the visual diffrence between the 2 gaskets made my cometic. and second can you run a sleeved o-ringed block without the o-rings? or will it leak. See when we ran a cometic gasket with the o-rings in the block (not the gasket) it leaked instantly. The cyl's filled up with coolant. But when i pulled the o-rings out it sealed and the car ran but still burnt a good bit of water.
#1 - Not sure
#2 - They make a "fire ring" gasket that is thicker around the bores than the rest of the gasket. It's kind of a poor man's stepped deck equivalent. They also make their "standard" gasket that is the same thickness everywhere. Cometic told me that the "fire ring" gasket is recommended as a race-only gasket because it has caused coolant leaks in some engines. I used their standard gasket.

Sonny

[Modified by Sonny, 3:31 PM 1/22/2003]
Old 01-22-2003, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: can you run a o-ringed block without the orings? (Sonny)

I use regular Cometic gaskets with no problems. I would not use the HP gasket if they say it causes coolant leaks whether in a race app or for the street.

Never tried this, but I don't see why you could not run a sleeved o-ring block without the o-ring. This is assuming that the sleeve is level with the deck. The top of the sleeve on both sides of the o--ring groove should seal against the gasket. However, if the sleeve has dropped below the deck of the block, it would not seal.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can you run a o-ringed block without the orings? (earl)

yeah the top of the block is level with the sleeves. But the gaskets we keep getting have a 2 piece inner part. And the part around the clys seems to be thinner than the rest of the center piece. I was just a 3 piece gasket with a one piece center section