Notices

Can you have a super rich A/F ratio and still ping (detonate) w/ too much timing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you have a super rich A/F ratio and still ping (detonate) w/ too much timing?

because if your wideband is telling you you're fine, can you still blow your motor w/ too much advance? Or is A/F ratio also a measure of correct timing...I doubt it...
Old 01-01-2003, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Can you have a super rich A/F ratio and still ping (detonate) w/ too much timing? (D16A6Turbo)

This is a very good question.... I want to know the answer to this one too. I belive you are right tho. If your AR is find but you advance too much you can still detonate. But for some reason, I also know that timing also affects if your air/fuel mixture burns slower or quicker between the power stroke and the exhaust stroke, so if timing is set so that not all the fuel burns up, you'd get a richer (lower) reading on the sensor cuz more fuel is in the exhaust pipe. It's a weird thing. Also, keep in mind that timing also affects exhaust temp and some people say they can tune with a exhaust temp guage just as well as having a wideband. I think this would be false due to the temp also changing with timing. So now it's 2 variables affecting the exhaust temp.

I definatly want to know the answer to this one... Common tuners... show us!
Old 01-01-2003, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Can you have a super rich A/F ratio and still ping (JRSCCivic98)

the reason I ask is because to safeguard yourself against any kind of engine failure would not exclusively be to analyze A/F ratio via a wideband, but also tuning w/ a knock sensor as well...

hey, that brings up another point...could you primarily safeguard yourself w/ only a knock sensor because it would detect detonation whether it is in the form of:

1. Lean A/F
2. Too much timing (could a wideband pick this up?)
3. Bad octane (could a wideband pick this up?)
4. Too hot a plug (could a wideband pick this up?)

If this is the case, wideband tuning leads me to think that you're only halfway there...hope I'm wrong...
Old 01-01-2003, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can you have a super rich A/F ratio and still ping (D16A6Turbo)

the reason I ask is because to safeguard yourself against any kind of engine failure would not exclusively be to analyze A/F ratio via a wideband, but also tuning w/ a knock sensor as well...

hey, that brings up another point...could you primarily safeguard yourself w/ only a knock sensor because it would detect detonation whether it is in the form of:

1. Lean A/F
2. Too much timing (could a wideband pick this up?)
3. Bad octane (could a wideband pick this up?)
4. Too hot a plug (could a wideband pick this up?)

If this is the case, wideband tuning leads me to think that you're only halfway there...hope I'm wrong...

When I bought the Link ECU from my tuner, he said that I must buy these two additional meters as a safety precaution in the event that the injector(s) fail or my engine starts pinging badly... They may be ugly, but I must admit, there have been several occasions when either my A/F has been in the red zone (lean) under WOT or the huge red high-intensity LED on my knocklink meter has flashed at me letting me know that i've been pinging and that something's not quite right..

I praise the KnockLink meter the most though.. since I still have my EGT gauge to look at if my AF meter (LambdaLink) isn't working properly (which it never has)
Old 01-01-2003, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Can you have a super rich A/F ratio and still ping (detonate) w/ too much timing? (D16A6Turbo)

because if your wideband is telling you you're fine, can you still blow your motor w/ too much advance?
Yes, you absolutely can.

Or is A/F ratio also a measure of correct timing...I doubt it...
You are right, it is NOT. The wideband doesn't tell you anything about weather your timing is right, you need a 4gas exhaust analyzer for that.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Can you have a super rich A/F ratio and still ping (turbopanda)

anymore info on the knock sensor system

-price
-installation
-etc.

thanks...
Old 01-01-2003, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Can you have a super rich A/F ratio and still ping (D16A6Turbo)

found this for ya. http://sandstallion.com/link.html
didn't see any pricing
Old 01-01-2003, 12:19 PM
New User

Default Re: Can you have a super rich A/F ratio and still ping (ModAddict)

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/proj...jectspage.html