Notices

can the wrong radiator cap pressure make car overheat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can the wrong radiator cap pressure make car overheat?

I installed a civic Koyo aluminum radiator in my DA and bled the air out several times but car overheats after boost or ascending a gradual hill (under load). I used the radiator cap off my oem radiator because the Koyo didn't include thier cap. Thier cap was $30 so I tried to save money by using the oem one, but I just may go out and buy it if it's the reason my car's overheating. I used the origional fan in a puller config but it covers about 75 percent of the radiator because the compressor housing doesn't allow me to. Does anyone think the higher pressure Koyo rad cap will eliminate the overheating under load or boost?
Old 03-29-2004, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: can the wrong radiator cap pressure make car overheat? (calib17a)

as far as i know of , yes it can . i got a 1.3 bar one i think off hand . works fine soo far. this is with a single lenght civic radiator on my teg too
Old 03-29-2004, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can the wrong radiator cap pressure make car overheat? (itr206)

thanks, do you happen to know the mechanics of that?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually now that i think of it , if you have too stiff of a cap it will cause it to overheat. if its not stiff enuff, it will blow the coolant into the overflow tank . all it really is is a spring actuatated coolant release . at the set spring pressure it opens up and bleeds off the coolant under pressure. kiinda like how a wategate works.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can the wrong radiator cap pressure make car overheat? (itr206)

Well, I bought the Koyo radiator cap for $30. It's rated at 1.3 bar. It's still overheating though, got to bleed all the air out of the cooling system. Should I just take the cap off when cool and let the car run till all the bubbles come out or open the bleed valve next to the thermostat housing. I've been trying to do this for a while now. I'll try again tonight.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by calib17a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I bought the Koyo radiator cap for $30. It's rated at 1.3 bar. It's still overheating though, got to bleed all the air out of the cooling system. Should I just take the cap off when cool and let the car run till all the bubbles come out or open the bleed valve next to the thermostat housing. I've been trying to do this for a while now. I'll try again tonight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, you should let the car sits with the cap off, and let it sits for about 30 minutes or so, at least until you get about 2-3 fan cycles.

Wrong cap do causes an overheating. The lower the spring pressure, the weaker the ability for the cap to push down on the coolant as it pressurized, causing it to overflow a lot to the reservoir tank.

Have you check that ?

stan
Old 03-29-2004, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can the wrong radiator cap pressure make car overheat? (Flamenco-T)

Check your thermostat, even its brand new...It may be defective...but air will cause your temperature gauge to read high...do as the man says and let the water reach temperature while the cap is off, it should get the air to escape...
Old 06-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can the wrong radiator cap pressure make car overheat? (Sunrise City Rider)

GOOD INFO..!!

i never thought i'd run into this problem, but i'm experiencing it too now.. i looked at my crappy radiator cap and its rated at .9 bar .. I need to get a new cap w/ a higher pressure rating cuz my car is overheating when cruising at about 3 k rpm and coolant is overflowing into the resiviour tank..