Notices

can a turbo honda road race?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can a turbo honda road race?

I want to get into autoX/ road racing with my 95 teg with the b18b but I dont have the money to make it all motor and still go fast so I want to go turbo, but ive heard the turbo lag makes it hard exiting corners and the added weight up front doesnt help either, thoughts?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: can a turbo honda road race? (teg racer 877)

u need to make sure everything is being properly cooled, u got a very good tune (as with any other car), if your worried about the lag, u can just properly size ur turbo for ur goals, smaller turbos spool faster...u wouldnt want a big turbo to give u **** loads of power anyways, u would want one that gives u a good powerband with decent power..
Old 12-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont have to worry about lag if its somthing like a t3 super 60. weight is probably no more than 50 lbs total with a small setup.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can a turbo honda road race? (Boostage)

Done much racing so far? If not best to learn first mod later.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can a turbo honda road race? (turbozxi)

no I havent been to my local track yet I was going to go up there but its so expensive, 65 bucks for like 4 hours, but as soon as its summer im goin up there, Im just debating the turbo because I want to drag race too, and a small turbo will be good for autox and road race but not good to go fast in the quarter mile

also how much hotter will the turbo make it run? would I have to get a bigger radiator , or just some high flow fans or something?
Old 12-16-2005, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: can a turbo honda road race? (turbozxi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Done much racing so far? If not best to learn first mod later.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ding Ding! I know you are going to totally disregard what we are saying (because evreyone does) but you will be much faster in autox and road course lapping if you start with a slow car and build your way up from there.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hit a search and look for austrian type-R... I am very impressed with his setup and how well the car runs lap after lap on a road course. We are talking about 4th to 5th gear pulls one after another Oh, and how it eats Porsches at the track too
Old 12-16-2005, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teg racer 877 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no I havent been to my local track yet I was going to go up there but its so expensive, 65 bucks for like 4 hours, but as soon as its summer im goin up there, Im just debating the turbo because I want to drag race too, and a small turbo will be good for autox and road race but not good to go fast in the quarter mile

also how much hotter will the turbo make it run? would I have to get a bigger radiator , or just some high flow fans or something?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you think thats expensive (sounds like a test/tune, ie: no corner workers and fairly uncontrolled environment...) then you had better rethink Turbo or even any real track time for that matter.

Track is NOT cheap. Even on a budget it becomes expensive. You have to consider that a real track day will range from 75 (large groups) - 250 ("real" tracks) per DAY just to drive. Then you have Tires, Brake pads, Brake fluid, Oil (motor/trans), GAS... it all adds up very quickly... and don't forget safety gear... either a rental helmet (ew) or your own M/SA rated helmet (50-500 bucks).

Seriously though... look at what you CAN spend... and then decide if its worth thinking about right now. But if you think 65 is expensive... you most definitly shouldn't be really thinking about Turbo and Roadcourse in the same sentence... those setups require more planning and money to be bulletproof.

Also.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Done much racing so far? If not best to learn first mod later.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's right... I started in a fairly modded/swapped EG... and I wish I hadn't. It drastically increased the learning curve. Learn on a slower/normal car... and go from there. It will make a MUCH better driver out of you... and when you do add power later on.. you be that much faster.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:28 AM

Dude, listen to splittime- If 65 bucks is a lot of money for you, you are in the wrong game. You are even on the wrong website. Don't even start ******* with your car. Keep it stock. This **** gets expensive real fast. I've got several thousand into my next project and I dont even have a car for the motor I built. Maybe trade that teg for an auto camry.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:50 AM

Default Re: can a turbo honda road race? (JoeD427)

interesting point about the learning curve. I was thinking of changing my setup for road race next year because it sounds more fun then drag... just something about waiting in line for 80% of the day at the track for only a few seconds of fun, and just way too many dudes in one spot for me.

I want to detune maybe get smaller turbo and try it on the road race track... am I better off taking my DD stock 98' DX coupe for road course lessons instead? the thing is annoyingly slow...
Old 12-16-2005, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can a turbo honda road race? (turbosi03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nikolai. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ding Ding! I know you are going to totally disregard what we are saying (because evreyone does) but you will be much faster in autox and road course lapping if you start with a slow car and build your way up from there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is very true. But i do confess i do not go totrack events yet, there arent any here so i half to drive far away to get close to even a shitty track. Start with a slow car perferably something with no PS and ABS, the feedback your body will recieve from the car is a must in the first learning of racing. Also if the car has weak/old suspension the car's limit will be lower. This is bennifical in learning weight-shifting, braking etc. Personally i drive around in a 1977 honda accord Stock everything. no ABS no PS, hell the heat barely works. Because the car is old and slow and un-responsive it has taught me many thing's. I can make alot of cars look bad on a curvy road in that car...

Keep at it but as stated above, make sure this is something you really want to invest into because this sport costs $$$$$$.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can a turbo honda road race? (splitime)

$65 is cheap! Splittime is right you better rethink this thing if you don't have $65.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:24 AM

Default Re: can a turbo honda road race? (Importordomestic)

Yeah a very efficent cooling system is a must, your going to be in high rpms and boost for about 1 min straight, and your tune is going to be extremeley on point, Might want to go a little on the rich side to keep cylinder temps low and a T28 turbo would be good
Old 12-16-2005, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i wish our track prices were like that, im used to 150-250 for the day. Have you considered a supercharger since you want to road race?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can a turbo honda road race? (turbosi03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosi03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I want to detune maybe get smaller turbo and try it on the road race track... am I better off taking my DD stock 98' DX coupe for road course lessons instead? the thing is annoyingly slow... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Flush its brake fluid, put some cheap(but upgraded) pads on it and drive the stocker. You'll find that the cool thing about "slower" cars is that you brake less and can carry alot of speeds through turns. Then its all about the driving and being able to carry speed... instead of just stomping on the gas.

I'm really not kidding anyone... i WISH i had started on a slower/simpler car. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my car and its setup. But I'd be much faster if I had started slower...
Old 12-16-2005, 10:13 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

true story.

having done several track days with my turbo civic, and never having a problem yet, i can vouch that it is possible. i never overheated, etc... and lag hasnt been a "problem" for me, not that i would care, etc.

its more about having fun, and building a well thought out/well tuned setup. splitime and myself have tuned my car to be pig rich, and low-and-behold, it didnt blow up. the setup is conservative, and the only problems i've had are with the rest of the car.

but...

i would be way faster, IMO, if i had done several track days with a slower-than-poo stock sohc setup with the rest of the car overbuilt... now the rest of my car plays catch-up with my powerplant (faster straight speeds= hard on brakes, tires, susp. components, etc)
Old 12-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

Hey thanks for the advice, I wasnt sure If 65 bucks was alot or not, because ive heard of tracks alot cheaper than that, i dident know it was that big of deal to start with a slow car, but yea il keep my car somewhat stock so I can learn.

yea I know tuning is very expensive, but I dont have a good job yet so I cant pour money into my car like most you guys can, im only 17, I know im going to be into hondas for my whole life so dont bitch at me for being on the wrong site.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

if you want to go turbo go with the EVO 3 turbo you can pick one up for $600-700 off http://www.slowboyracing.com my friend had one on his AWD Talon he could get 20 PSI at 2000-2500 RPM and you will get plenty of power even with him being AWD he could spin the tires threw 1st gear he ran a 12.6 (in utah) with full interior and nothing to tune with so you can make plenty of power another thing you might want to considder is a supercharger they cost about the same or even less then a turbo kit and can be tuned with just bigger injectors
Old 12-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chrisluda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chrisluda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you want to go turbo go with the EVO 3 turbo you can pick one up for $600-700 off http://www.slowboyracing.com my friend had one on his AWD Talon he could get 20 PSI at 2000-2500 RPM and you will get plenty of power even with him being AWD he could spin the tires threw 1st gear he ran a 12.6 (in utah) with full interior and nothing to tune with so you can make plenty of power another thing you might want to considder is a supercharger they cost about the same or even less then a turbo kit and can be tuned with just bigger injectors </TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly, he can find cheaper that will work well. Also, the DSM is a very different platform to build on. If he wants to look at turbo B18b setups for down the road, there is a very long thread in this forum about peoples setups/results etc....

There is also nothing wrong with turbo for roadcourse... it just requires being pickier with the setup. Also... if you really suggest tuning by just installing injectors for a SC ... then you might want to look a little more into proper setups. Management will be REQUIRED for anything turbo or SC for a track car. They take alot more abuse, considering that they are in full boost for much longer than any little trips down the drag strip.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (splitime)

yup I have my turbo kit for sale and it almost the same as Chris on the ITR forum used to run on his car. greddy kits aren't great for drag racing but will still make 300whp and have super fast spool(I make boost at 1500rpms and full boost by 3500 or so)