Notices

can too much oil be harmful for turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can too much oil be harmful for turbo?

i'm using 15w-20 semi-synthetic oil. i know it's a bit thick but the average temperature from where i live is about 32 C or 86 F.

when i finished installing the turbo about 5 days ago, i poured all 4-liters (4.23quart U.S. quart liguid) of it in my engine and i'm using new oil filter. i checked my oil level in the morning before i start the engine and the oil level is covering the top hole of the dipstick where in the manual it says to fill it between the top and bottom hole of the dipstick.

will this be harmful to the engine or the turbo itself? will it hurt the oil seal of the turbo?

i'm asking this because 4 days after i installed the turbo, i drive the car with boost(7psi) up to about 6500rpm. when i stop at my driveway to open the gate i saw smoke coming out under the sides of the car and under the engine.

it is quite a huge smoke, imagine someone's burning some dried leaves on the street then you intentionally parked over it, so the smoke will come out from underneath. BUT the whole car is not engulf in smoke. i panic and quickly parked the car inside to check it but upon letting it idle for a while the smoke subsided and there was no trace of smoke to be seen. by the way, i didn't get to see what color of smoke it was coz it was dark it was 11pm already.

i tried to rev it a few times and still no smoke. i haven't tried boosting again coz i'm afraid it might happen again but during normal driving up to 3k rpm there was no trace of smoke. even before that incident happened i don't see any smoke during normal driving only that instance when i til 6500rpm with boost.

could it be my oil level is high and the excess oil is coming out of the turbo oil seal hence the smoke? will filling oil to the top hole of the dipstick cause the oil pan to be full to prevent oil return properly? btw, i'm using 3/4 inch oil return hose oil already and i think that's big enough.

any thoughts?
Old 04-25-2003, 09:23 PM

Default Re: can too much oil be harmful for turbo? (_Endless_)

good thing..same thing happens to me..... first iwas too low..now i'm too high..but it smoked alot worse before..and i'm running open downpipe so thats why the smokes coming up through engine bay..just happens once in a while and i'd like to know too..so bump
Old 04-25-2003, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you overfill an engine with oil, the oil capacity of the engine is surpassed. This means that the pressure of the oil pump is now increased, putting more pressure onto the valve stem seals, oil rings and headgasket sealing areas. The engine was designed to operate within a certain pressure range. When the pressure is increase with the case of to much oil, the oil trys to find atmospheric pressure and the seal areas are the first areas it will try to "squeeze" its way out of. Its very common to experience smoking when you overfill an engine, the oil was to go somewhere.

As far as your turbo goes it wont hurt a thing. The reason the turbo uses oil is to lubricate the bearings. The pressure is increased, but the hydrodynamic properties of the bearings can take more pressure in the terms of oil. If you ran infinite oil pressure into the turbo, the turbo's efficiency would go down due to frictional losses. This is the most extreme case, and its completely theoritical. The turbo will be ok, but dont overfill your engine or your valve stem seals will most likely start to leak on you.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:37 PM

Default Re: can too much oil be harmful for turbo? (boosted hybrid)

I always fill my oil to the top hole on the dipstick and it is fine. As long as it is not over the top hole and just even with it, I don't think your engine is over filled.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you mean the extra oil won't try to exit off the turbo oil seal? any idea where the smoke is coming from?
Old 04-25-2003, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The turbo oil seals could go under extreme pressure, but its very doubtful that you blew out the oil seals. You will leave a nice billow of blue smoke everywhere you go if the oil seals went bad. Without being there I really cannot tell you where you were smoking from. You might want to check the crank case breather area, I have had smoke come out from there before when I toasted a set of main bearings.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks man. i guess i need to drive around high rpm again to find out if it'll smoke again and where it is coming from.

by the way, if i want to reduce my oil level what's the proper method of doing it? by the oilpan bolt?
Old 04-25-2003, 10:23 PM

the blue smoke... grey with a tint of blue??or dark *** blue/black??? and would it harm if the oil level is over the 2nd hole in the honda dipstick?
Old 04-25-2003, 10:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as your turbo goes it wont hurt a thing. The reason the turbo uses oil is to lubricate the bearings. The pressure is increased, but the hydrodynamic properties of the bearings can take more pressure in the terms of oil. If you ran infinite oil pressure into the turbo, the turbo's efficiency would go down due to frictional losses. This is the most extreme case, and its completely theoritical. The turbo will be ok, but dont overfill your engine or your valve stem seals will most likely start to leak on you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This isn't theoretical, it's been proven that feeding a turbocharger more oil than it needs will slow spool up time, and that spool time can be slightly increased with a lighter weight, and a synthetic oil.

Boosted Knows his **** !
Old 04-26-2003, 01:52 AM

Default Re: can too much oil be harmful for turbo? (lazerus)

i was watching a supra dyno video today and noticed it did the same smoking after a dyno pull that we are experiencing.... who knows what its from
Old 04-26-2003, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can too much oil be harmful for turbo? (GOLDBERG)

i guess i have to drive hard again to see where the hell the smoke is coming from. it's the first time i experienced it and it's not just smoke from heat coz it's a bit huge although at idle and driving to 3-3.5k rpm there's no visible smoke. i can still recall how it smoked that night. damn i hope it's normal and nothing serious.

by the way, is there a proper way of reducing my oil level? can i just loosen the oil pan bolt a bit to let oil out or should i wait til the next oil change?
Old 04-26-2003, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can too much oil be harmful for turbo? (lazerus)

You say that too much oil can slow spool time. Has anyone seen a diffrerence in spool time because of running a 4AN as compared to a 3AN feed?
Old 04-26-2003, 07:04 AM
I live under a rock

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you overfill an engine with oil, the oil capacity of the engine is surpassed. This means that the pressure of the oil pump is now increased, putting more pressure onto the valve stem seals, oil rings and headgasket sealing areas. The engine was designed to operate within a certain pressure range. When the pressure is increase with the case of to much oil, the oil trys to find atmospheric pressure and the seal areas are the first areas it will try to "squeeze" its way out of. Its very common to experience smoking when you overfill an engine, the oil was to go somewhere.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, thanks boosted, the same thing was happening to my car... the dipstick wouldn't give me a accurate reading so i drained the oil and filled back up to specs, i was almost a quart high!!!, i kept adding oil because when we did my turbo install we should of replaced the oil pan gasket and didn't, so i was leaking oil...apparently not as much as i thought, so now its not smoking as bad, but i still have to replace that gasket today or tommorrow, either way....thanks, i wouldn't have considered that otherwise