Notices

Can someone please verify this.. I want fact. Is white smoke out of exhaust lean or rich. I keep h

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 04:50 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone please verify this.. I want fact. Is white smoke out of exhaust lean or rich. I keep h

I have heard both.. I was always under the impression that white meant lean and black meant rich.. I am hearing alot of conflicting views. Even that what smoke at low idle means rich but at full throttle means lean.. Please give me the facts... or maybe they are both possible. thanks
Old 09-12-2001, 05:05 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Can someone please verify this.. I want fact. Is white smoke out of exhaust lean or rich. I ke

haveing a little white smoke when cold start is normal. However... if its continues or lot of it came out under acceleration, you are burning coolant.

Rich= black smoke
burn oil= blue
burn coolant= white
Old 09-12-2001, 05:29 PM
New User

Default Re: Can someone please verify this.. I want fact. Is white smoke out of exhaust lean or rich. I ke

If you are seing white smoke, it is very possible you have a blown head gasket. It is no indication of air fuel ratio.
Old 09-12-2001, 05:43 PM
New User

i thought the same thing. blown head gasket.. but i had no bubbles in my radiator, no oil in coolant....
Old 09-13-2001, 06:14 AM
New User

As I stated in a previous post. Mine will start giving out white smoke when I get my fuel pressure to high. If I back off on the pressure, the smoke goes away. I have no blown head gasket or anything like that. Otherwise, it it would keep smoking after I turned down the fuel pressure, and I would be smelling coolant.

Pull the plugs and see what color they are when this happens, that will be the finale judge.

Never heard of white smoke being a lean condition tho. Since there is only to much oxygen left after combustion, and that is invisiable. Unless it is a cold engine, like mentioned above, and you are seeing condensation.

Just becuase something has not happened to you, does not mean, it does not happen at all.
Old 09-13-2001, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excess fuel burns black, always has. Oil burns blueish and white is water/coolant. As for running lean with white smoke, never heard of such a thing unless it's water/coolant seeping through the headgasket.
Old 09-13-2001, 07:44 AM
New User

So if that is true what your saying about running rich is always black. Then please explain to me what is happeing to mine from the above post, and how it relates to me changeing my pressure?
Old 09-13-2001, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey I have the same damn prob right now, I have every possible new part on my motor from ground up. NEW gaskets, seals, after market pistons, rods etc. My car Blows white smoke A LOT of it, I dont have a blown head gasket, busted rings, bent valves. I was told it was a fuel prob. I have tried new map sensors, messing with the fuel pressure, changing ECU's, nothing has solved this. I hate and it is embarrasing to have someone beside me or behind me as I sufficate them. I can smell the fuel out of the back of the exhaust.... ANYONE HAVE ANY SOLUTIONS... AT regular to low idle the car blows, when the car is heated up it goes away till I down shift... I have to constantly stay in 5th so I dont create a smoke screen...
Old 09-13-2001, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you messed with your Catalytic Convertor?
I hollowed mine out and when I'm at a light, all the heat builds in it
and when I gas it to take off, a nice cloud shoots out.. we found out it has to do with the hollowed cat.
And its a white cloud.
Old 09-13-2001, 05:03 PM
New User

Have you checked your fuel pressure regulator itself? That was one of the things that was causing my car to run rich, and get the white smoke, before I added all my fuel system stuff.

Never have messed around with my cat...

[Modified by 88_SC_CRX_Si, 6:05 PM 9/13/2001]