Notices

can someone please have a look at my setup and offer input/advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can someone please have a look at my setup and offer input/advice.

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this post. Please keep in mind i'm a beginner and this is my first turbo build, please forgive my ignorance. I am currently bolting on a 1998 integra LS greddy complete turbo kit with internally w'gated 18G turbo on my D16Z6 along with the provided 310CC injectors..everything fits except the exhaust manifold which i'm currently waiting on which is one from the edelbrock kit thats T25/28 flanged. Because I'm using the integra kit, the blue box is going in the garbage and I will be using a manual boost controller with a VAFC for tuning. I'm only looking to boost between 6-8PSI on stock internals however I will be installing a new timing belt, oil pump, and water pump. A few questions I have are:

Will I need anything else besides the manual boost controller and VAFC in order to make everything run ok? Also will the MBC work properly with an internally gated turbo setup? I know gate is preset from greddy at i believe 5.5psi, so will turning up the boost from an MBC even have an affect on the PSI?

I have my curiousities concerning chipping my ECU and tuning instead of VAFC, but is this something I will be able to do myself? I know a lot of guys over at turbod16.com use the VAFC method with some good results and its not that bad of an idea for a mild street tune. My concern with chipping an ECU is am i somehow capable of hooking up a laptop to the ECU and setting the KPA per RPM like i would with the AFC???

Should i pickup a fuel pressure reg? or FMU? or will i really not need either of these?

Lastly, i'm just looking for some general advice on getting this setup to run right and clear of major problems, i know minor ones will surface with any boosted setup and i'm prepared to deal with that. If any more 411 is needed to better provide me with assistance please feel free to ask.

thanks again to anyone that took the time to help out a fellow enthusiast..happy building!
Old 05-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can someone please have a look at my setup and offer input/advice.

You'll be just fine with your VAFC assuming you program it properly. I would recommend a change in spark plugs though and an FPR won't hurt.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanx alot dude, yea i had forgot to mention i'm going to run colder NGK plugs in the car as well. as far as the tuning goes, i have an idea of whats going on but a buddy of mine is real crafty and has built many a 10sec honda's i just don't want to bust his ***** until i've got everything together you know..plus he doubted that i'd even make it as far as i have already so i want to finish the build without him haha!

how does the FPR come into play here?

https://honda-tech.com/forums/appearance-build-threads-122/my-ej1%2Aunder-knife%2Amild-turbo-build%2A-2763192/
Old 05-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bumpski
Old 05-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are you going to run an intercooler?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, complete greddy kit, with IC
Old 05-05-2010, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 05-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no advice for a novice builder?
Old 05-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

take care to install your oil lines correctly, make sure the turbo drain is positioned correctly

8 psi is fine on your stock motor, but id invest in a better tuning method, you can sell your VAFC and for the money you make off that, get a tune from neptune, or chrome, or maybe even use an older Hondata S200. All are cheap tuning options nowadays and definetely far safer than the "VAFC Hack".

if your interested in daily driving and the longevity of your motor in stock form, invest a hundred bucks in a cheap catch can system. moroso sells a simple system thats a bit over a hudnred bucks, you can prob find used for much less, or search and create your own catch system. or checkout ebay for that.

hope i helped, ive done alot of lower end garage turbo setups in my day so i think i have some decent knowledge in this low end of the field if u know what i mean lol and i know where your coming from.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanx alot dude! i've already decided to scrap the AFC idea and go with an S100 chip..unless i find a 200 relatively cheap. in the beginning i wanted to get everything together and on the road by june, now i just want to do it all properly and take as long as it needs!