Notices

Can Someone help me figure this out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Someone help me figure this out!!!

Ok im trying to make sence of this turbo set-up on this car my buddy bought at an auction. Im used to dealing with DSM's but i know a little about hondas. I think the little black things are check valves but im not sure can some one explain this to me?? Like do these things do and is there a better way to do this turbo setup? Its not tuned or anything, I think the blue vortech is an FMU??? i donno

Maybe better to see

Old 10-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can Someone help me figure this out!!! (Hahnduh)

Yes, the black things are check valves to bleed off boost so the MAP doesnt see it. The blue vortech is an FMU to up fuel pressure when it reads boost. This is an OLD way of runing turbo hondas. I would look into a standalone fuel setup ASAP. I would high advise not to get into boost with this setup as it sits. I hope i helped a little.

Kevron
Old 10-16-2007, 04:20 PM

Ok so what would you suggest we do to be able to tune this thing, it has a 50 trim on it right now. I think thats to big with no bottom end and daily driven.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:42 PM

Just keep the boost below like 6-9 psi and you will be relatively safe, its not gonna just go pop but it IS an older method that is not designed to run high boost and stress the injectors to the point were they can potentially lock up, i used the AFC hack alot which worked for years on lower boost but midrange and out of boost sucked. once i got chipped ECU it was a huge gain. i would ditch the FMU as soon as you get the cash to do so to avoid damage down the road.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In your first picture you have a sensor at the far left. From looking at the picture it is what appears to be the IAT Intake air temp. You will definately want to have that sensor in the intake track at or near the intake manifold. Not just laying in the engine bay as it is now.
Also looking at the pictures you have an OBD2 car . If you want to use a factory based system to tune the car you will have to switch to a OBD1 ECU using an adapter.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PPLH8R)

pressure wash that bitch!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:21 PM

Ok so can i drill a hole in the intercooler pipe and rig up a way to put that IAT sensor in there? so i need a ODB 1 ECU, some injectors and what else to be able to tune? how much boost can we run realistically without sleeves and a built engine?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hahnduh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok so can i drill a hole in the intercooler pipe and rig up a way to put that IAT sensor in there? so i need a ODB 1 ECU, some injectors and what else to be able to tune? how much boost can we run realistically without sleeves and a built engine? </TD></TR></TABLE>
What you should do is take a close look at your intake manifold to see if it has provisions for an older style IAT which would be bolted on. The newer style which you have goes into a rubber grommet which may not be the best for boosted applications. If the mani has the provision for the older style IAT then I would switch to the older style sensor. You will need the sensor and the older style plug.
As for the ECU adapter you should be able to buy it and the ECU from a number of vendors here on H-T. Once you have the ECU you will need to decide which editor you want to use. CROME, HONDATA, NEPTUNE are a few. With the new ECU in place you will be able to get rid of the FMU and check valves. Maybe someone in your area could chime in to help you out. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hahnduh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> so i need a ODB 1 ECU, some injectors and what else to be able to tune? how much boost can we run realistically without sleeves and a built engine? </TD></TR></TABLE>

you need a base map. ( it's a chipped obd 1 ecu with a educated guess tune). you can be safe with 8psi on a stock block. if more then 10 you will need a something like a 3bar map sensor. the tune will be very important on a stock block.

if i was in your shoes i would try to get some bigger injectors, basemap & jumper. i would stay around 8-10 psi and save up for more turbo goodies
Old 10-16-2007, 07:00 PM

ok thanks this has helped me a lot. I've also been doing a lot of research around here but I was wondering if you guys have some links to some helpful sites on what i need to get started so i can turn this si into a monster!! anyone have a P28 they wanna sell me?? OH and the mani is a JG Edelbrock does anyone know anything about this? **** i dont even know what size throttle body is on it.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that should be one of the better intake manifold's.

Phearable.net - Toll Free: 1-888-236-9831
Chipped Ecus / Precision Injectors / Walbro Fuel Pumps / AEM Widebands / Conversion Harnesses
Authorized Dealer for: Hondata, eCtune, Neptune, AEM, Crome & more.

john vega
Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can Someone help me figure this out!!! (jasoncrashtech)

good luck
Old 10-16-2007, 07:40 PM
official honda whore

take some more pics of everything so we can help you out, check your ecu and on the side it should say what code it is...

what year car is yours?
what size injectors are on the car?

i would do a compression check, get atleast 440-550 cc saturated injectors if you have stock injectors in their now.(easy way to tell is look for resistor box)

have your ecu chipped (if your car is a 92-95) if its a 96-01 get a jumper harness and a chipped ecu for your setup

and go from there

from the looks of your clutch line i would say its a 96-00 civic, if it is you need the proper jumper harness and a chipped ecu... go through many places such as http://www.j-k-tuning.com or many others on this site
Old 10-16-2007, 07:42 PM

Whats the best program to use, hondata, CHROME, Uberdata etc. i need something i can run boost and is the most user friendly.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

CromePro has datalogging for $150, CromeFree doesn't log, uberdata is kinda crappy but can datalog (barely).

IMO, your best bet is to completely redo the vacuum system. Checkvalves should be used to stop air travel to the MAP, not bleed it off like that. That setup makes for a bad enough boost leak to be noticable. The turbo has to push more air (thats hotter) to make the same power when you have ANY boost leak.

For the price of a NEW FMU you can get an obd1 Honda ecu and run a safer Uberdata tune in which you can adjust. No more than $200 for full control if its obd2 (96+).

BTW people have run well over 15psi on that size turbo on stock B16's and B18's, making over 300whp on stock internals. But thats tuned well, and with an FMU you get zero ignition retard, on fuel increase. I'd keep it as low as you can while the FMU is on.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Can Someone help me figure this out!!! 56k watch out(Hahnduh)

I've got more pics! Ok this is everything Ive got figured out...xs autocrap turbo, no shaftplay. Blue Vortech FMU, JG Edelbrock intake..couldnt find it on thier site though?? Dont know about the throttle body if its aftermarket or not got a pic though. There is a plate on the back of the mani I couldnt really get a pic of it without taking it off. So if anyone has this intake can you let me know if thats for the IAT? Im thinkin its for EGR or something... The Turbo XS or knock-off rather, I donno if it even works, I never hear a noise from it at all, but I dont hear compression surge either..??? Stock Injectors but I have some DSM injectors but i dont know what size they are or if they will fit into the intake? Boosting at 4-6 psi hitting full boost at about 4000RPM. OH and a Greddy exhaust thats pretty nice. BTW I searching around and i couldnt find a deffinitive answer would this car have an ODB2A ECU or an OBD2B ECU?? what ODB1 ECU can I use to convert it so I tune??

Ok now for the pics

Ok are these hoses hooked up right?? the plate on the back of the intake is about 5 inches down from the the hose on the far left.

another from the top

Turbo and wastegate

THe DSM injectors, anyone know what size?? I should know but its been along time since I pulled them.

Stock Injectors

The IAT that should be in the intake tract somewhere but just chillin in the engine bay

The only markings on top of the throttle body...is it stock aftermarket?? guesses anyone??

Another Shot of the FMU, Boost gauge, and BOV hoses

And the MAP and Check valves are they in the right spot?

I kinda got off topic with all these pics but im tryin to find out more about the way this turbo setup is setup. Plus im tryin to find out more about the intake and the ECU ****.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:45 PM

Anything?? anyone??
Old 10-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it looks like your dealing with some ssac ****.......if you have the money i would definitely get rid of that stuff asap, especially the manifold and wastegate......you should check to see who manufactured the turbo also.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:37 AM
official honda whore

Default Re: (.adam.)

ok what year is your car?

go to http://www.j-k-tuning.com and order a jumper harness (96-98 is obd2a and 99-00 is obd2b) and a chipped ecu, for the ecu you tell him what injectors you have (you have to find out what size your dsm ones are, the turbo ones are usually 440 or 450's) and what your turbo/exhaust system/motor consist of

get rid of the check valves and put the map back in the stock location

get rid of the fmu

get obd1 injectors and wire them up along with a resistor box to the dsm injectors

get ngk bkr7e plugs

and finally get it all together and go get it tuned and you should be able to put down 300whp very reliably

btw people do have problems with the turbo setup that is on your car, but as long as it isnt giving you any problems i wouldnt worry about it too much, if it does ever happen to crack or the turbo goes, than you know to get better products to replace it with

hope i helped,

brian
Old 10-18-2007, 09:41 AM
official honda whore

Default Re: (coptzer)

also find a way to get that intake air temperature sensor into your charge pipes or into your intake manifold as that is a very important sensor
Old 10-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Off topic, but that engine bay looks like its been underwater...

That is the stock throttle body.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: (SuperTeg95)

Well the first exhaust manifold that was on there was ssac and it cracked in a week. The one thats on there now is thick as **** and can run 350 hp all day no prob. Ok any ideas on how to mount that Intake sensor in the intercooler pipes??
I should probably get a new one since that one has been bouncing around in the engine bay for god knows how long.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coptzer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
get obd1 injectors and wire them up along with a resistor box to the dsm injectors
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok so obd1 dsm injectors or what you got me confused on that one... I dont think those injectors are turbo though

And another problem i cant find any info on that exact Intake all I can find is info on the victor x and the preformer x. There is little plate on the back of this intake but I donno what its for.

as of right now im not really having any problems (knock on wood) but I wanna get that IAT taken care of and get it so I tune and start datalogging
Old 10-18-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: (Hahnduh)

Btw...99 si stock and i donno if I can fit other injectors in that intake other than stock ones
Old 10-19-2007, 11:33 AM
official honda whore

Default Re: (Hahnduh)

i mean obd1 injector clips for the dsm injectors, but if your unsure if they are turbo ones than i would get a set of saturated 550cc RC injectors, you can usually find these used for around 200$$ and then get obd1 injector clips and wire them in.

also that is one of the best intake manifolds for a turbo car so i wouldnt worry much about it

get rc 550cc injectors they will bolt right up to the manifold/fuel rail
cut off your stock injector plugs and wire up obd1 plugs and do the rest as i told you earlier

brian
Old 10-19-2007, 12:19 PM

That Intake manifold is an Edelbrock Victor X, it optimizes the powerband around 7,000-10,000 rpm. I would keep it for that B16. A 50trim turbo you say, .48 a/r or .63 a/r exhaust housing? Either way as long as its not leaking (and u said no shaft play) I wouldnt be too concerned. A friend of mine runs one of those xs autoshit turbos to near 400hp without issues for quite some time. Maybe you're lucky as well. Careful of that manifold cracking, if possible brace the t3 flange wo the flange of the manifold that bolts to your head. definately get rid of that FMU and get a fully tuned ecu (I would suggest neptune,hondata) if you have the money otherwise something like crome will work fine.
Your manifold, i also use this manifold.

heres a tech review on it:
http://www.turbomagazine.com/t....html

I hope you dont end up like this
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1334997 haha

Quick Reply: Can Someone help me figure this out!!!