Notices

Can someone clear some issues up for me? tuning mostly..

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone clear some issues up for me? tuning mostly..

Sorry if I've missed a major discussion on this the last day or two, I've been out of town....

So are there any issues with tuning in one season of the year and needing to retune for a different climate? I'm just a tad bit confused on that. Would tuning during the summertime be the best bet? Also, I'll probably have my car built by Feburary assuming everything goes as planned, would it be best to just park it until I'm ready to tune? I'm sorta afraid of dumping all this money into my car only to have it go kaboom. Any tips or experiences would be great.

Thanks,
Noel

[Modified by noel, 4:14 AM 8/5/2002]
Old 08-04-2002, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Can someone clear some issues up for me? tuning mostly.. (noel)

are u using hondata or ems or what? U can always tune it twice..then save the chip or rom or what have u and when time comes reburn it/rechip/upload. From what i understand if you tune your car in the winter and then drive it in the summer...ur chances are going to be higher that you will experience detonation than if you just tuned it for the summer heat/humidity.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:21 PM

How much temperature difference is there in Tennesee? I haven't changed the tune in my car for 2.5 years and it has been fine. The temperature varies here a lot (100F in summer and -30F in the winter). I was hitting 11.9:1 when it was tuned in 80F so it was pretty rich. I never got any detonation in the winter (not that I know of anyway), but I also didn't boost a lot because there was snow on the roads most of the time. I guess what I'm saying is if you tune it conservatively when it is hot out, you should still have pretty good ratios when it is cooler.
I was only boosting 5psi, so maybe that prevented detonation. I wish I put it on the dyno in the winter to see how my A/F's were.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Can someone clear some issues up for me? tuning mostly.. (Dutchie)

I actually haven't built my car yet I've got the money just taking my time with the research. I'm just timid in doing this. I'm leaning towards Hondata but engine management will be the last thing I buy.

Well I guess the reason I'm asking is because sometimes here in Knoville its 90+ and sometimes it gets pretty damn cold. I visit a friend a GATech in Atlanta, GA a lot and have some family in Florida. I'm just curious what types of problems I might run into. I suppose on a long drive I could set 0 boost to be safe.

Thanks for the input,
Noel
Old 08-05-2002, 11:11 AM
New User

I plan on having several different programs for temp and octane. Later Allen