Notices

Can I use two gas tanks- 1 with 91 and the other with 100

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use two gas tanks- 1 with 91 and the other with 100

was just wondering if this was possible...or feasible....
i was thinking using two intank fuel pumps 1 which would be stock and the other a 3 gallon tank for race fuel...using SS lines to run it into one fuel line to the fuel rail...would this be possible...the second tank activated by a switch and relay cutting off the stock one...

this would be great at the track or on the street say if a viper pulled up on the freeway....switch the profec to high boost setting and activate the second tank....the only problem i can forsee is that the fuel will be also force back to the stock tank at the T fitting...maybe there is a one way diverter or something.....or maybe this is just stupid...but for me...i always wanted to up the boost but couldnt because we got shitty 91 octane here in cali....just a thot
Old 09-24-2004, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Can I use two gas tanks- 1 with 91 and the other with 100 (eg6turbo)

my 1992 f-150 has dual tanks. lots of trucks do. it's worth looking into how they're set up.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I use two gas tanks- 1 with 91 and the other with 100 (eg6turbo)

you would have to either have some sort of intelligent switching return fuel line or contaminate your low octane tank with unused high octane fuel resulting in a lower overall octane in the wrong tank.

You could have the fuel return divert all the return fuel to the low octane tank when using the high octane fuel to purge the lines and once its cleared (a few seconds) switch the return to the high octane tank.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can I use two gas tanks- 1 with 91 and the other with 100 (stizzit)

I answered like this on another board...

...this is not an instantaneous change. It can't be. People run higher octane fuel to run leaner air fuel ratios and run more timing, which....gives you more power and/or the ability to up the boost.

You can't just switch on the fly to higher octane fuel and feel the tires break loose. You would need to instantaneously have your fuel management switch from 91 octane tuned maps to 100 octane tuned maps. I dont believe there are any fuel managements out there that allow you to switch programs on the fly like that.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Can I use two gas tanks- 1 with 91 and the other with 100 (xenocron)

it may not be feasable on the street, but at the track you could always just swap out for a different chip thats tuned for 100 octane.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:49 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: Can I use two gas tanks- 1 with 91 and the other with 100 (SOHC_MShue)

but if it was just for the track, would adding another fuel tank be worth it?
Old 09-24-2004, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I use two gas tanks- 1 with 91 and the other with 100 (xenocron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I answered like this on another board...

...this is not an instantaneous change. It can't be. People run higher octane fuel to run leaner air fuel ratios and run more timing, which....gives you more power and/or the ability to up the boost.

You can't just switch on the fly to higher octane fuel and feel the tires break loose. You would need to instantaneously have your fuel management switch from 91 octane tuned maps to 100 octane tuned maps. I dont believe there are any fuel managements out there that allow you to switch programs on the fly like that.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know with vw's, prolly audis too with an APR chip you can switch between engine programs on the fly. not sure if other chips do this too as i don't know much about them

http://www.goapr.com/VW/produc....html

quoted from the website.

"FlipSwitch
Enables you to swap between two or more engine programs on-the-fly using the cruise control stalk. All cars have stock and standard chipped program versions available. Valet, race-gas, and other specialty programs are available for some models. "

Old 09-24-2004, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I use two gas tanks- 1 with 91 and the other with 100 (PriMaTe)

Just stick a fuel cell in the trunk.

I had a '67 International Scout that had dual tanks and I bought it with tanks out and no fuel lines. I ran new lines and AutoZone has a electric T fitting that will switch tanks. You just run a power wire with a switch to it. ON is one tank and OFF is the other.

I imagine you would have to run an inline fuel pump forward of the T (thats how I had the Scout). Or have your two intank pumps on a toggle switch....just dont switch tanks and not pumps .
Old 09-25-2004, 01:34 AM

If it's for track use only then I would just fuel up (partially) with race fuel for the track. There's no sense in spending time/money on something that will just add weight and reduce space

If it's for spontaneous street-challengers...then it has a use. I don't recommend racing on the streets, but it'd be nice to have a little "fun." That on-the-fly tuning is an issue though...assuming that could be done, then you could try various methods: propane injection only when you want it? toluene fuel additives always-on (extra recurring cost though...). Or your secondary fuel-tank idea I suppose.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:14 AM
Paragraph Alert

Default Re: (archmage)

Sounds like you should look into a water/alcohol injection setup. From what I've read it would do what you are asking and then some without much hassle.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ActiveAero)

there are things you can buy to solder into your ecu where you can flip a switch in the ecu to switch programs. You just put two different chips in there and flip the switch to change. I'm pretty sure you'd have to turn the car off though to switch them.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:40 AM

far too much effort, you Cali ******* are crippled by the EPA. I run C16 through mine every 2 tankfulls, wow what a difference that makes!
Old 09-25-2004, 08:42 AM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: (ActiveAero)

I was just going to say that too. With all the extra effort required do be diverting gas and running new lines, just go with an alcohol system.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dave.g)

I actually thought of this long time ago and was beginning to start plumbing all the lines and the cell (it helps having infinite amount of hoses and fittings

Yes it can be done, but you still have to stop, change your maps, re-connect the lines and go. Even with a switch to change out lines and pump, you still have to stop and redo everything.

It can be done, but I'd opted to just run a single tank and mixing a little C16 with 93 octane is not too bad most of the time

stan
Old 09-25-2004, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Flamenco-T)

thanks for all the insight got me really thinking....at least no one sed im being a dumbass lol...

when most tuners tune hondata...i know part throttle tuning is a must....but if say you left the chip on high boost and not remap...i know that your gas milage would suffer a lil but my gas milage always sucked....most cars are tuned for say 15+ psi anyways...why not just leave that chip in there and have the two tanks....also i was thinking about how the fuel return would come out...but people mix 100 with 91 all the time anyways just because its a lil safer...also i wasnt planning on running the 100 tank for extended period of time too....

so what it comes down to is having the chip tuned at 15 psi and just leaving that chip in and run 8-9psi on the streets....if say someone like a viper pulls up then switch over to the 100 tank and profec to high boost and not care if the lower octane tank is getting mixed with 100...both are unleaded so it should be fine....
Old 09-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

hehe, hey you're back,
I thought you sold your car and moved to transylvania or something!
Old 09-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

yeah the car is gone but maybe a reincarnation might appear soon...i have a bmw 330ci now...just cruzin...
Old 09-26-2004, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eg6turbo)

i did this many years ago with no prob on a mustang divided tank in half 2 outlets with 2 in line valves 2 returns and a 4 port regulator 1 for street gas 1 for race gas
Old 09-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eg6turbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah the car is gone but maybe a reincarnation might appear soon...i have a bmw 330ci now...just cruzin...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeh thats coo,
3series are nice cars

theres just somethin about a hatch though,
I say go for it
no FMU this time though!!
Old 09-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

theres just somethin about a hatch though,
I say go for it
no FMU this time though!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

hahh i only used that fmu for like 5 months...was afc hack for a long time...next one hondata for sure...
Old 09-27-2004, 10:22 AM

I'd use another set of injectors if you were going to go this route. Use one of the many additional injector controllers commercially available.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:23 AM

Default Re: yeah...

invest in some high quality windshield washer fluid injection* technology

* aka water/alcohol injection
Old 09-27-2004, 10:27 AM

Default Re: yeah... (ComputerJLT)

oh and just to be argumentetive you can tune for low and high octane gas in one fuel map........

you're obviously going to be running more boost when you use high octane gas so you'll be using a totally different part of the fuel/spark maps during that high boost time... So what you do, you set your highest street boost to say 14psi and tune up to there on pump gas; then throw in some race gas and push the boost to 20+psi and tune that part of the map accordingly. (add in your own boost numbers; you get the point)
thats the beauty of speed-density efi systems
I know someone doing just that with a turbo-dodge; he's tuned for pump and race gas and all he has to do to switch between the two is make sure he's got some c16 in the tank and flip his homemade 2stage boost control to high.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:55 AM

Default Re: yeah... (ComputerJLT)

I was about to say what was said above. Tuning high and low with pump and race gases is something that seems to work very well as long as your tuner knows what they are doing.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:44 AM

this would be for uberdata but here is my thought....prob. same for hondata

if your trying to figure out how to change maps, why not program your vtec map for the higher octane fuel and run a switch off of the vtec wire to change maps.

edit: you have vtec, n/m.