Notices

can i shitch from a regular intercooler to an water to air?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i shitch from a regular intercooler to an water to air?

i was interseted in changing to a water to air intercooler setup.is this nessacery or should i stick with the regular fmic? is there a power differnce between the two? will i notice any alterations in the temperture of the engine. thanks honda-tech
Old 08-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can i shitch from a regular intercooler to an water to air? (turbosohcEJ)

Do you really wnat to run a a big water pump and water reservoir ? air to air IC is fine for up to 750-800 whp. I am sure there will be difference in IAT, but not worth doing it IMO

stan
Old 08-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can i shitch from a regular intercooler to an water to air? (turbosohcEJ)

Seeing as you're running a SOHC turbo, you should be fine with the air/air. There are advantages with a water/air IC, but there's alot more work involved with it. Mainly running a reservoir, pump, etc etc. More parts = more things that can go wrong. Just keep it simple. If your IC now isn't keeping the IAT's down, try going with a bigger and more efficient core.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: can i shitch from a regular intercooler to an water to air? (Finest)

thanks guys
Old 08-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yea and the problem is on a street driven car, sitting in traffic and such. the coolant becomes heat soaked in return heat soaking the air-to-water, increasings iat's and the possibility of detonation
Old 08-26-2005, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: can i shitch from a regular intercooler to an water to air? (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea and the problem is on a street driven car, sitting in traffic and such. the coolant becomes heat soaked in return heat soaking the air-to-water, increasings iat's and the possibility of detonation</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's why they make heat exchangers for the water. With a big coleman cooler for a fuel cell and a half size civic rad for the heat exchanger my IAT's on the street with an air/water were always fine.