Notices

Can I get an external on this manifold if so where??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get an external on this manifold if so where??

Any ideas
Old 07-11-2003, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Can I get an external on this manifold if so where?? (turbozxi)

**** that pic is big and blurry. can u size it down a lil and take some pics from the front and top? what mani is that?
Old 07-11-2003, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I get an external on this manifold if so where?? (Pengo)

i think you can take it to a welder and and install a flange for an external wastegate.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I get an external on this manifold if so where?? (GSRrR)

Sorry about the Big pic's. Its a custom built manifold. I am asking where would I mount the external gate for best results?
Old 07-11-2003, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I get an external on this manifold if so where?? (turbozxi)

opss, best results = where all the runners meet. you using a full lenght radiator? maybe you can switch to a half size and have the WG mounted there similiar to the full race design.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can I get an external on this manifold if so where?? (GSRrR)

Cheers I can't really get one on the collector, as its to small in width. Can you just weld one onto the runners? I think I have seen other manifold where they have done that.....

Edit yeah full length radiator I would like to keep it possible, lot of turbo peeps having overheating probs.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:47 PM

how bout the DP ? i have a buddy with a 91 teg, and they ran it off his dp.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bspec18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bspec18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how bout the DP ? i have a buddy with a 91 teg, and they ran it off his dp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how can you do that? the DP is after the turbine.......

Old 07-11-2003, 07:27 PM

i knew someone was gonna ask, right of the down pipe about 5 inches from the flange, he has a external WG (TiAL) venting atmospheric. I couldn't believe it either tilll i saw it. It does work has he has no problems with boost creap
Old 07-11-2003, 07:56 PM

who custom build ur manifold ? im very interested if u dont sharing
Old 07-11-2003, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bspec18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i knew someone was gonna ask, right of the down pipe about 5 inches from the flange, he has a external WG (TiAL) venting atmospheric. I couldn't believe it either tilll i saw it. It does work has he has no problems with boost creap</TD></TR></TABLE>
i think you mean thats where it dumps. otherwise, thats impossible.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheTruth709)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheTruth709 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">who custom build ur manifold ? im very interested if u dont sharing </TD></TR></TABLE>
Its a place called Boosted Performance I am in New Zealand its only cost $250 US
Old 07-11-2003, 09:23 PM

Default Re: (hybridvteceg)

actually it is possible, because it does work. And he is venting atmospheric. WG IS ON DP and not manifold, he had clearance issues thats why it was put there . I can take pics if u need proof just need a site to host it on.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bspec18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually it is possible, because it does work. And he is venting atmospheric. WG IS ON DP and not manifold, he had clearance issues thats why it was put there . I can take pics if u need proof just need a site to host it on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

really? Doesn't the wastegate control boost by altering how much exhaust gases are able to go through the turbo? If its after the turbo (on the downpipe) how can it contoll boost?
Old 07-11-2003, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bspec18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i knew someone was gonna ask, right of the down pipe about 5 inches from the flange, he has a external WG (TiAL) venting atmospheric. I couldn't believe it either tilll i saw it. It does work has he has no problems with boost creap</TD></TR></TABLE>

i picked up a T3 turbo kit for my sohc crx and it also has the wastegate placed on the DP . it was the first time i had seen a set-up like that .
Old 07-11-2003, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JonnyDanger)

have it on teh collector running out the side

or

weld a pipe out form teh discharge flange(if it's a 5 bolt turbo)

as for $250 for that manifold...the design is good, but I'll bet you that the manifold will crack within a year. With a price tag of $250, it's probably made of thinwall mildsteel exhaust piping
Old 07-12-2003, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JonnyDanger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JonnyDanger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i picked up a T3 turbo kit for my sohc crx and it also has the wastegate placed on the DP . it was the first time i had seen a set-up like that . </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you guys getting confused between internal and external wastegates?
Old 07-12-2003, 04:10 AM

Default Re: (GSRrR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRrR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you guys getting confused between internal and external wastegates? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah seriously... that really doesn't sound possible.

http://www.boomspeed.com
register for free and you can host pictures. that sounds REALLY COOL if it really is set up like that
Old 07-12-2003, 10:53 AM

ok internal WG are on the turbo, i.e. Greddy kits. Again external WG "usually" on manifold i.e. merge collector, or runner. My buddy has the WG on the Downpipe (not the manifold) and he is venting atmospheric. Anyone want to host pics for me ? i'll take the pictures.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:22 AM

I think you may be a little confused about where the wastegate actually is. Some turbos have two holes on the exhaust housing one of which can be used for an external wastgate. Its not on the downpipe, though.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bspec18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok internal WG are on the turbo, i.e. Greddy kits. Again external WG "usually" on manifold i.e. merge collector, or runner. My buddy has the WG on the Downpipe (not the manifold) and he is venting atmospheric. Anyone want to host pics for me ? i'll take the pictures.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude, thats NOT possible. the wastegate must be BEFORE the turbo for it to even function right...maybe he has the wasgate mounted on the DP to turbo flange where the little hole is...other then that its not possible..

send the pics to me and ill put them up.

Gritsak@aol.com

anyways, about the question, i wouldnt want to hack into the manifold, unless theres no other options. i would prolly do it the way i mention above...if you have room and your turbo has the little hole in the exhaust housing outlet where the DP flange flange bolts up...that hole is routed in from of the exhaust wheel, so you can weld a short pipe or "runner" onto the DP flange then mount the wastegate on that...alot of DSM people do it this way and it works pretty well.

heres a pic, it prolly will make more sense...im not really sure how much room there is or even if you turbo is like this, but its an idea...sorry for the big pic

Old 07-12-2003, 11:36 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bspec18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My buddy has the WG on the Downpipe (not the manifold) and he is venting atmospheric.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is most impossible. go ahead and take pics if you want but it wont change the fact that it wont regulate boost AT ALL.
Old 07-12-2003, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gritsak)

.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gritsak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dude, thats NOT possible. the wastegate must be BEFORE the turbo for it to even function right...maybe he has the wasgate mounted on the DP to turbo flange where the little hole is...other then that its not possible..

send the pics to me and ill put them up.

Gritsak@aol.com

anyways, about the question, i wouldnt want to hack into the manifold, unless theres no other options. i would prolly do it the way i mention above...if you have room and your turbo has the little hole in the exhaust housing outlet where the DP flange flange bolts up...that hole is routed in from of the exhaust wheel, so you can weld a short pipe or "runner" onto the DP flange then mount the wastegate on that...alot of DSM people do it this way and it works pretty well.

heres a pic, it prolly will make more sense...im not really sure how much room there is or even if you turbo is like this, but its an idea...sorry for the big pic

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Would it flow any better then thw standard wastegate? I gather you are meaning to weld the external on to the exit of the internal wastegate? Thanks for info.

Ps the Manifold is not mild steel its Steam pipe and I have used it for over a year already. Its very strong! turbo is also braced in 2 places
Old 07-12-2003, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gritsak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gritsak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think that setup is for a DSM turbo, which are internally wastegated. Instead of using the actuator and flapy thing, it just goes to a wastegate.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GSRrR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSRrR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you guys getting confused between internal and external wastegates? </TD></TR></TABLE>

im not confused about anything . i said i picked up a kit that had a wastegate on the DP ( the deltagate was placed on the downpipe like the pic above) . i didnt say i was gonna use i that way .

Quick Reply: Can I get an external on this manifold if so where??