Notices

Can anyone help me. ? about Darton MID sleeved GSR block leaking coolant into oil.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone help me. ? about Darton MID sleeved GSR block leaking coolant into oil.

I had my block sleeved about 3yrs ago and when i first got it back from the machine shop it had a coolant leak around the Timing belt tentioner bolt. The guy at the machin shop said it sometimes happens when they bore out the stock sleeve, the material around the out side of number 1 cylinder get very weak and it causes that little leak. Well he said the way to fix it was to fill the hole around the tentioner bolt hole with JB weld. I did and it worked for 3 yrs with no problem up until now that I had the block deck and bore to 84.5 mm. Now the leak is coming form #1 sleeve around the bottom, and also from one of the oil pump bolt hole and form the tentioner bolt right into the oil pan.
Has any body had this problem before with this sleeves they are Darton MID
Thanks for any input on this matter.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Can anyone help me. ? about Darton MID sleeved GSR block leaking coolant into oil. (BoostGoneWil

bump anyone?.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Can anyone help me. ? about Darton MID sleeved GSR block leaking coolant into oil. (BoostGoneWil

Any body please Help.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't take this the wrong way but are you sure they are darton sleeves? Who sleeved the block? I bought a sleeved block on honda-tech that had darton MID sleeves in it and they leaked. When I sent it to ERL to check out the sleeve job it turned out that they were NOT Darton Sleeves they were sleeves that looked like the mid's. Whoever did the first sleeve job did not do it correctly and that is why they leaked.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:05 PM

I bought the sleeves from Race Ingeneering and had the block sleveed by the same machine shop they do their blocks with. The guy form the machine shop tells me that GSR blocks are know for having that problem around the #1 cylinder.
How many of you know about this problem when sleeving this blocks. The problem is the tentioner bolt being to deep that when boring the stock slevees it makes the material week around that area.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:32 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostGoneWild &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought the sleeves from Race Ingeneering and had the block sleveed by the same machine shop they do their blocks with. The guy form the machine shop tells me that GSR blocks are know for having that problem around the #1 cylinder.
How many of you know about this problem when sleeving this blocks. The problem is the tentioner bolt being to deep that when boring the stock slevees it makes the material week around that area. </TD></TR></TABLE> thats bull he is just telling you that because he dont want to have to fix or replace your block there is no problems with sleeving a b18c call race ingeneering and see if there is anything they can do for you and if they tell you the block is no good then give me a call most of the time we can fix it
Old 04-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think that dude is feeding you bullshit,I had my gsr block sleeved in lakeworth 3+ years ago, never had any problems along that line.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have 84.5mm MID Darton sleeved block in my car and I dont have any issues.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:55 AM

Well i did some resurche on the darton website and they say that it does happens to some blocks not all of them. They show you a picture on where it happens on the blocks. Well i just got it back and in the car and so far no problems (crossing my fingers). The rings were shot.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can anyone help me. ? about Darton MID sleeved GSR block leaking coolant into oil

I apologise for bumping an old thread but this problem with the coolant leaking inside the tensioner bolt with Darton sleeves is my current problem
Old 06-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can anyone help me. ? about Darton MID sleeved GSR block leaking coolant into oil

Must not be too common but I guess its my dam luck I hit this, if anyone else in the last four years have run into this please post how and what u did to fix it, I am not using jb weld tho
Old 06-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Seen it happen in a Benson block... ONLY when warm too... wierd.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm, goodluck, and bump.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bumping an old thread, but people still need knowledge.. Had a shop in Atlanta install 84mm Darton MIDs in an LS block... Leaked terribly at the back, all the coolant would leak out in a few minutes just from gravity... Used some Moroso Ceramic Seal on it once... Plugged it up for the past 3 years... Good stuff.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A coolant leak into oil sounds like head gasket time, or a warped head.