Notices

Camshafts recommendations for street/drag

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshafts recommendations for street/drag

I am shooting for about 700 horse and I am not sure on camshafts so I'm wondering what people have used and what's my best choice I've read a lot about pro 1's and Gsc cams but and still wondering here is my setup..

Sheepey topmount
6266 pte ball bearing
Twin 44mm mvr
Rev valves
Bc springs and retainers
3inch exhaust
Aem 320 pump
1000cc ID's
Aem fpr
GE fuel rail
Cm clutch
And other small stuff....

Thanks for helping me out and giving me your input much appreciated..
Also please let me know if anyone in the Massachusetts area can degree in the cams if its needed.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Camshafts recommendations for street/drag

GSC T1s are a proven camshaft, especially for the size turbo you're running.

You'll see better response as well as more midrange power and torque, which will help overall performance as your turbo selection means mostly topend power with a relatively narrow powerband rpm wise. It will suck on the street for the most part (that's all turbo related) but

You haven't given us specifics about the motor. Obviously it's a turbo vtec b series but what motor, b16, 18 lsv, etc. Displacement, bore, stroke, compression ratio, head work, intake manifold, throttle body size, fuel being used, maximum rpm, any water meth, etx?

We need to know these things to make an informed post

It will be a good drag setup if you can keep the car in the sweet spot down the strip though
Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry I should have posted my motor
93 octane street then drag race gas
84mm b18c
Darton sleeved
Cp 10:1 piston
Manley turbo tuff rod
Victor x manifold
70mm skunk2 tb
Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

What kind of race gas? C16, q16, vp import, u4 or a Sunoco fuel?

The extra displacement should help a lot with that turbo, 2 liters means it should make decent torque and the compression ratio will help as well

What are your power goals for 93?

Water/meth injection would help on both fuels, and allow you to run super aggressive timing on race gas resulting in more power everywhere (to a point) but I'm guessing it will take at least 30psi to make 700 on a 6262 from what I've seen other cars make with similar setups
Old 07-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

And the ball bearing chra should help with inital spool up... 300-500rpm as a general rule of thumb. The 10; 1 CR means better volumetric efficiency and a slightly hotter and higher exhaust gas volume combined with just under 2 liters (its like 199xCC so round to 2000) will help with initial spool up so maybe 600-750rpm faster (ignition timing plays a big role in inital turbo response as well and to a degree how aggressive boost comes on )... but where the BB chra really helps is with recovery between shifts, so it might not be half bad on the street but don't expect a lot on the low end of the motor

T3 or t4 turbine side?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

T4 twinscroll haven't really decided on race gas but on 93 I'm hoping for 500-550....
Old 07-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

It's not a true twin scroll housing, simply divided which doesn't totally divide the exhaust gasses

Where as a true twin scroll housing keeps each volute totally separate until the volute reaches the turbine wheel. Also one volute is normally smaller than the other

Am I to assume the manifold is divided as well?

On straight 93 500 is about the safe limit and the t4 hotside means the turbo will have even later spool up. It will more than likely be a dog on the street
Old 07-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm just looking to have a little fun on the street but I really want to make it a full out drag car eventually...thanks for the input what about web cams is there a specific model that is better than the Gsc..??
Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

You'll have some fun as long as it's on the highway lol... your build has all the right parts to be a succesful drag car. But I will warn you at higher pressure levels the billet 6262 has had issues with compressor wheel flex. Not every turbo has the issue but it is something to be cautious for and keep an eye on.

I'm not really familiar with web cams offerings but I have been part of the GSC thread and a lot of the more prominent users utilize the cams in their builds and love them. I'm sure others can chime in about more cam "specifics" I just know the GSCs are a solid option to consider based off the results posted in the GSC thread and users' build threads. Plus I've had in depth discussions about the cams and have never heard a lot of negative things about them

However they aren't a "drop in" cam, but at the power levels you seek nothing should be expected to come easy.. extra attention is called for during installation especially if you have oversized valves or the block and head have been machined. Degreeing the cams is almost mandatory regardless. People with 1mm over valves have had valve to valve issues given how much lift the cams have and either have to have radical cam timing or more commonly stepping down to .5mm valves which is a bonus and actually yields more airflow with 1mm bigger valve seats, as there's less valve in the way which means higher airflow. The valves have no issue with sealing either (old school racing tech for the win lol)

A good guy to talk to is DDTech, all he does is cams and can chime in on the GSC cams or talk to you about a more appropriate custom cam for your power goals and desired powerband, just tell him I sent you. He's a virtual guru with cams, from the mild all the way to roller rocker vtec killers
Old 07-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate all your knowledge and its very much appreciated..
Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Anytime. It's nice to see someone actually respond to input, take it as advice and appreciate it. Most people either act like they know it all or act like an *** and don't take advice lol
Old 07-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol yeah I've seen that a lot on here but I'm here to learn as much as I can and to have fun learning it...
Old 07-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Btw where is the best place to order the Gsc stuff from...??
Old 07-12-2013, 01:06 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Their website or pm TheShodan on here
Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thanks.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:47 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

If you want to discuss your build and maybe ways to improve things like response, powerband, efficiency, etc without cluttering your thread feel free to pm me. I know a trick or two

Oh and here's the GSC T1 cam thread. Give it a good read and see peoples feedback and results

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/gsc-turbo-cams-vs-01-itr-cams-better-spool-30whp-gain-3042127/
Old 07-12-2013, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GSC t1 Profile is a very proven shelf profile. For the price and for what you get, its really hard to beat.

Some people just dont know how to dial in cams properly and thats where the flaw lies.
With that said, if your only choices are Pro1's or GSC's, The GSC's would probably help you out in the long run for a more "Street powerband type of car" The Pro1's have more lift, and around the same duration, but are a different profile all together.

Each have their standpoint in every setup. 700 should easily be achieveable on both sets of cams. It might take different tuning or different boost levels on each but it shouldn't be a problem.

I've measured both, and pro1's are actually a bit smaller then what is advertised and what they claim their .050 is, its not a bad thing, but it shows there's room to grow using either camshaft.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info from both of you guys its good info for me I think I'm gonna try the Gsc t1's with their springs and go from there I'm looking for 700 hp now but you know how that goes I'm sure I'm gonna want more after a little while but I want to learn as much as possible from this point and grow from here. I will pm you Wantboost with any more info I need and thanks again you guys.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Anytime. Again it's nice to see someone actually listen to advice and use it to their benefit

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your selection. They are a great cam. Of course I would read the entire GSC thread as it has vital information about installation

The T1s will also idle lope a good bit so idle tuning is needed but they sound fairly ballsy. Not quite a vtec killer lope but it sounds aggressive.

Hell if you don't like em send them to me
Old 07-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol if I don't like them ill definitely send em your way. Is there anyway you can explain the cam degreeing sequence or is there anything on the web that teaches it..?
Old 07-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Google degreeing cams. Should provide plenty of articles/threads as well as YouTube videos. It's hard to explain over the internet without visual aids
Old 07-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds good
Old 07-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To go with these cams what cam gears are reliable to use on this setup..?
Old 07-12-2013, 06:47 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by dc2lsvtech
To go with these cams what cam gears are reliable to use on this setup..?
You can use OEM cam gears with these, as we have found that 0,0 is the best setting for these. no need for "quick settings" or other phenomenon with these camshafts, unlike Web, Skunk2 Pro1, etc.

If you MUST use Cam Gears, get the extended cam bolts that GSC sells (may not be on the website, but I know what they are) so that you have plenty of threads within the camshaft regardless of how thick the center hub of an aftermarket cam gear is if you decide to purchase them. But like anything else, getting "cheap" gears will cause problems you don't need.

"Degreeing" is really not necessary with the GSC T1s. Wantboost is not trying to confuse you, but he's referring to the fact that you need to account for any milling of the head. But if you know how to "zero out" your camshafts from the OEM, you can install GSC T1 camshafts.