Notices

cam gears REALLY off? help tuners.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam gears REALLY off? help tuners.

as ive posted before, i have been having problems making any power in the higher RPM ranges. acceleration dies at around 6000. ive been stuck going all over the country recently and havnt had time to work on the car too much, but this week i figured out that it pulls to redline if i drive it cold. then i totally disconected the VTEC solinoid and of course its slow, but it pulls all the way to redline under boost. im thinking maybe my skunk gears (which i have set at 0) may be so off and causing so much overlap that my boost is blowing right back out the exhaust valves when the big cam comes on. does this make any sense? if so i want to get it close before i hit the dyno this weekend, where do you think i should start setting them to eliminate overlap? should i just go 1 degree at a time and run around the block untill it pulls in VTEC? oh yea, ITR, DRAG 3, 4PSI thanks guys.
Old 08-09-2001, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cam gears REALLY off? help tuners. (integRated109)

Are you sure you are just not leaning out? At high RPMs the non-vtec lobes probably cannot flow well enough to introduce enough air to cause the motor to lean out.

Dustin
Old 08-09-2001, 09:47 PM
New User

Default Re: cam gears REALLY off? help tuners. (dustin)

sup man... long time no see on the board. check this out... i worked on my car today.. did some tuning... had some positive results...

recheck your timing, man... cuz when me and my friend checked timing... my shiet was retarded too much. i dunno if it retarded itself over time... if it got adjusted when i installed my skunk2 cam gears... or if Pinnacle did the timing that retarded... im not sure how much it was retarded cuz i cant really tell... the timing indicator moves back and forth -2/+2. check that man. i gunned it... and i felt more power! i think my timing is retarded to 13-15.

i dunno why... but i dont feel as much high end power as i think i should be gettin, too. but you know whut man? i was in my friends LS civic and it didnt pull as hard as my integra with boost when he gunned it in 3rd gear to 4th gear. so who knows.. maybe were just too used to the boost at mid power.. that we cant tell the difference when we hit high end power.

but i would definitely check out the timing, make sure the air-filter aint restrictive (the one that comes with the drag kit is), spark plugs, ignition, exhaust flow, and get a tune up done. see if it makes a difference. cuz i feel a little bit of the power back after i tuned my car all week. of course... MORE MONEY THAT I DONT HAVE SPENT ON TURBO!