Notices

A/C Relocation idea for us turbo gentlemens....read even if you dont have A/C

Old 07-02-2005, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Relocation idea for us turbo gentlemens....read even if you dont have A/C

alright, on my way home, i got to thinking, so i havnt went out side to see if its even possible, but its nice NOT to have A/C so you can have more room with no condenser....

My idea....its 3am and i am tired too...but how about get a slim line pusher fan, mount on front side of radiator, modify/extend AC hard lines and mount condenser right behind the radiator with some custom bracketry underneath and run the A/C fan like normal. Would the condensor get enough air?

I am not outside and hard to see if its possible, but i just thought i would throw the idea out at ya....

im going to bed, goodnight H-T
Old 07-03-2005, 06:57 AM

Default Re: A/C Relocation idea for us turbo gentlemens....read even if you dont have A/C (wade)

I just put my A/C back in and did about this same thing. This was in a civic though with the small radiator. I just made some brackets to push the condenser back and put a pusher fan on the front. The stock lines worked with a little help and now everything works and there is plenty of room. it just takes a little thought.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C Relocation idea for us turbo gentlemens....read even if you dont have A/C (VanHonda)

The air through the condensor would be warmer though so the AC would be no where near as effective.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C Relocation idea for us turbo gentlemens....read even if you dont have A/C (JonnyCoupe)

VanHonda, PICS PLEASE!!!!! how does the ac work? is it cold? i want to see !
Old 07-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C Relocation idea for us turbo gentlemens....read even if you dont have A/C (wade)

so, i just went outside to take a gander at my engine bay (99 Si). My concern was the HIGH pressure AC line. It is very short so it cant be extended any so it wouldnt reach if you moved the AC condenser behind the radiator. The LOW pressure A/C line looks like it will be fine, just might need a little bending and such.

Im just trying to do something a little diff, retain AC, get some more room and make myself happy and maybe provide some light for other people looking into this. AC is a huge barrier to a turbo honda. i want to find a way to retain it, run a rowdy *** manfold at the same time.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:47 AM

id love to see pics of an actual set up of this. would the air be cool enough tho?
Old 07-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 07-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Modified by Type-GS-R-Turbo at 11:37 PM 7/3/2005
Old 07-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used the stock radiator and had that custom hose made to route under the turbo. You can't see it from this angle, but it has the low side port coming out of the right side. I installed a 10" slim line pusher fan on the front of the condenser, I had to take out a little bit of the webbing to compensate for the hood latch, but it blows ice cold.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

keep them coming!
Old 07-05-2005, 09:18 PM

you wouldnt want to put the condenser behind the radiator. are you talking about using civic radiator and condenser. why not while your rigging stuff just mount the condenser in front of the radiator like in a integra you could probably use a couple of the integra mounts and just make a couple more. then you would have the same set up as integra and plenty of open space on the driver side.
and then also you would only actually need one fan in whichever location you want or be extra cautious and put one pusher on condenser and puller on radiator. =mad air flow
Old 07-06-2005, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C Relocation idea for us turbo gentlemens....read even if you dont have A/C (agrn93ls)

with a big *** IC, i wanted the condensor behind the rad so the rad can still get some air, didnt want it blocked anymore by a AC condensor. I want my engine to live first hand. but i stilll figured that condensor would get the air cold with a puller fan on it and a pusher on the rad.

in all, i can easily pull this off, but i wonder how much a AC shop would charge to make/modify lines to accomodate my idea
Old 07-06-2005, 04:36 AM

You can buy the hard line at a hydraulic shop and the pipe bender at summit. Make them yourself and save some cashola. The AC core needs to stay as cool as possible. If you put it behind the radiator the air will not be nearly as cool as it was in the stock location. When I first got my turbo installed I did not have a slim fan to put on the AC core. As soon as the car slowed down or stopped, the air was instantly warm.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (-Trinitron-)

how do you get the fittings onto your new hardline if you bend it yourself? Would you still have to have an ac shop put them on?

My full race mani melted like 4 inches of my low pressure line.

This guy, screen name muckman (let me know if you want me to take it down) relocated his. I like the way he did it. I think I'll have mine done this way.

Old 07-06-2005, 06:26 AM

yeah muckman is the **** I'm getting my lines through him when I have some extra money.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: A/C Relocation idea for us turbo gentlemens....read even if you dont have A/C (FOrSfEd)

muckman only makes lines for DA chassis teg. NO others

Call around, good AC shops can do it. I found one near me that can!!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C Relocation idea for us turbo gentlemens....read even if you dont have A/C (mike1114)

bump
Old 07-06-2005, 08:17 AM
95GSRTT

Default Re: A/C Relocation idea for us turbo gentlemens....read even if you dont have A/C (mike1114)

lol how does that make sense when the pic you just posted is of a DC?
Old 07-06-2005, 08:21 AM

he was going to have mine made already I just have not gotton around to sending him my lines and money.

Modified by FOrSfEd at 12:36 PM 7/6/2005
Old 07-06-2005, 03:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wade &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with a big *** IC, i wanted the condensor behind the rad so the rad can still get some air, didnt want it blocked anymore by a AC condensor. I want my engine to live first hand. but i stilll figured that condensor would get the air cold with a puller fan on it and a pusher on the rad.

in all, i can easily pull this off, but i wonder how much a AC shop would charge to make/modify lines to accomodate my idea</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok then, take and find a way to still put the condenser in front of the radiator and mount them both on one side and put a pusher on one side and puller on the other it should be more air than you would ever need, it is no different than how integra is set up with turbo and with proper fans i havent seen them have problems.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: A/C Relocation idea for us turbo gentlemens....read even if you dont have A/C (agrn93ls)

With the civic radiator and stock condensor, all I had to do was push the condenser forward about an inch...just a guess it has been over a year since I saw it last. With the condensor set up like this, the stock lines worked fine, I just put the shorter line in the place of the stock fan. Doing this I got about an extra inch of clearance for everything. The air could be colder, but I think that has more to do with needing more refrigerant than anything else.

I wil try to get some pics up tomorrow, it is too dark to take any now.

Craig
Old 07-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I brought my car to a local shop Melville Equipment. They charged ~$45 to make the line and put the new low side fitting in. It works but I'm still routing things around it.

I like the way muckman did it, that's much cleaner than what I did, but I could imagine it wouldn't be cheap.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

muckman have pics?
Old 07-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The pic Mike1114 posted is Muckman's setup
Old 07-10-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Re: (Type-GS-R-Turbo)

ok...here are some pictures of what I did....

Its hard to see how I mounted the condenser, but you can get the idea. Also this is all of the factory lines.

Craig

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C Relocation idea for us turbo gentlemens....read even if you dont have A/C