Notices

buying a sc B20 vtec what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a sc B20 vtec what to look for?

hey guys im really new to the newer hondas been rocking a 3g civic. Now im looking at buying this hatch with a supercharged B20 with b16 head.. just wondering what i should be looking for? How can i tell if the charger is still got alot of life? how to tell if the motor combo is a good build or crapy tossed together motor? kinda need some quick info going to look at this car on thursday... any help would be great!

Last edited by dohc_87hatch; 06-08-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-09-2010, 10:53 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: buying a sc B20 vtec what to look for?

^^ leaving tomorrow any help?
Old 06-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Well im only familiar with the jackson sc, so if it does have one theres not much you can tell unless you take it off and inspect the rotors/ bearings or send it in to moss or magnuson to have it inspected, you can listen to the blower/motor and see if it has any knocking or forighen sounds, see if he can provide any info/reciept for the blower so you can get an idea on how many miles are on the blower anything over 50,000 would need some maintenance. see if the motor has been tuned properly or if he just slapped that motor together and threw on the sc with a band aid fmu and is running it half assed! that setup must be tunned properly on a dyno if it hasn't i wouldn't buy it!, make sure its not leaking oil! and the b20-vtec conversion was done properly, try and get as much info on who and where the motor was built, allot of people screw up b20 or ls vtec motors. make sure it drives and gets full boost and there's no boost leaks. ask what cams are used, stock cams are best, make sure it idles good, ask if the motor burns oil, see if the car smokes out the ex. under load or vtec if it does that motor aint running right, also grab a compression tester, there cheap and do a comp. test on the motor that will let you know a little about whats going on in there as well as a leak down test. ask for any dyno sheets or reciepts of labor or parts, if he built the motor him self ask for credentials or documents of other motors he has built. Whenever you ask this ? most people will tell you never buy someones project car! for one you never really know why there selling it, it could be cause there fed up with the problems its giving them or its not running right and has some work to be done, second that motor is super illegal no matter what! if you live where no cops or smog issues are present than the car should be fine in your area, but places like C.A i wouldnt think twice about buying or building that setup. im curriouse if its been tuned how much hp/tq is it making..
Old 06-09-2010, 09:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

ok so i live where no inspections are nessasary.. i get titles transfered at safeway. So i talked to the guy and he said the motor was tuned with "chrome gold" at R REV motorsports in portland,or. He said its putting down 220 hp and there's is 15k miles on charger and 20 on motor.he told me his friend built the motor.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do a compression test go rent the tool from autozone this is a must because he could have blasted that engine all 20k miles and its about to take a giant 3k **** on you.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

ok so is there anyway to check fluid in the charger to check for wear?