Notices

Buy a kit or piece it out (turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy a kit or piece it out (turbo)

Okay here's the deal. I want a turbo. I have read about F-Max, Greddy, Drag and I think that's it. Most people have pushed the Drag kit, but when I get on honda-tech.com I hear about slow spool up complaints, turbo creep because of manifold, fuel pump won't handle much boost and so on and so on. I am going to get a Hondata at the same time as the turbo and head to the dyno with all of it. I don't want to have to start replacing parts right off the bat how much power can Drag make without having to change manifolds and waste gate....I want to buy what I need the first time. Can anybody help me out with this.....anybody having the same thoughts
Old 01-20-2002, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Buy a kit or piece it out (fastestdriver)

I don't think you are going to get much of anything on any Turbo if you don't upgrade the intake, exhaust and fuel supply. I recomend doing everything or you might not see a much of a change. See below what I have, because I would real recomend that set-up.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go custom. that's what i'm doing. it can be cheaper/expensiver depending on what your needs are. you get the parts YOU want, not what someoen else wants. that way you control quality.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Buy a kit or piece it out (civicturbo)

I recommend doing yourself cuz it might come out cheaper if you know what you're doing. Plus you tend to figure out the problem when something goes wrong if you did everything yourself.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Buy a kit or piece it out (civicturbo)

I'm talking about replacing the parts that come with the turbo kit, not the stock parts on the car. I know you have to up grade the fuel, exhaust etc.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:44 PM
On Fire!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we need more information here like what car you got what motor etc....

Also are you new to turbochargers....

That will help us tell you what stuff your looking for..

Adi
Old 01-21-2002, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Buy a kit or piece it out (newgsr)

I have a 95 delSol with D16Z6. This will be my first turbo experience. I am reading everything I can find on tubo cars, trying to learn. I am going to install hondata at the same time as the turbo not going to need fmu so I don't want to buy one. I'm wanting 10 psi or higher if this is possible without major lag. Just don't want to waste money upgrading a turbo kit if I can buy the best parts the first time around. Even if it ends up being more expensive than a kit I want to make sure I have good dependable parts. This first stage will be on stock cylinders, eagle rods, forged pistons, stainless valves with high temp coating. Thanks for your input!!
Old 01-22-2002, 07:52 PM

Go custom! That way you can get what you want.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:03 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 95 delSol with D16Z6. This will be my first turbo experience. I am reading everything I can find on tubo cars, trying to learn. I am going to install hondata at the same time as the turbo not going to need fmu so I don't want to buy one. I'm wanting 10 psi or higher if this is possible without major lag. Just don't want to waste money upgrading a turbo kit if I can buy the best parts the first time around. Even if it ends up being more expensive than a kit I want to make sure I have good dependable parts. This first stage will be on stock cylinders, eagle rods, forged pistons, stainless valves with high temp coating. Thanks for your input!!
DOnt wanna be a downer but the first thing you should probably do is a get a motor in there.. any Bseries will provide you with a great platform.. problem with the D16 is you are going to spend the same amount of money to make it half as fast..
Old 01-22-2002, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buy a kit or piece it out (DIRep972)

but for the amount of a swap he can have a built d16.

Old 01-22-2002, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buy a kit or piece it out (2000EX)

hey i dont really want to promote for greddy or anything but i hear there kit for the single cam is 1800 which isnt that bad of a deal (not sure if thats intercooled or not) but i know my friend who had a single cam 95 civic ex (untill some er stole it from englishtown raceway park) and he was going consistant 14.2 on 17" tires and heavy *** rims with a 2.5 60 ft so thats basicly 13s rite there and he was boosting 10 psi daily on a stock motor so i would say that the d series motor isnt as bad as everyone says it is if you are looking to go 13s
Old 01-23-2002, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buy a kit or piece it out (PROFILE GSR)

If you dont want to deal with trying to find the best deals or cant locate a part when building custom then go with a kit. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I went custom since i was in the right place at the right time and paid dirt cheap for everything. So it depends on your needs and your wallet amount. Kits already have prices tagged to them but custom can be cheap to an amount that can burn a hole in your wallet.

g luck
Old 01-23-2002, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buy a kit or piece it out (synergy004)

if you don;t know what you are doing, buy a kit, it'll help you from headaches and etc..
unless you are Dustin who has a welder, a pipe cutter and an air compressor, plus among ten thousands other tools, I wouldn't recommend going custom...

but as far as a good learning exeprience, it'll make you aware of everything....when you go custom....

stan
Old 01-23-2002, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i chose the custom route, just because i wanted to learn more about the products and in the process you gain alot of knowledge of what works best for your application,but, i tell you this, you gotta have more patience when going custom...you may have a hard time finding the parts you want and sometimes even pay a little more than just buying a kit. if you have all the time in the world then go the custom way..but, if you want cant wait to start boosting just get a kit then upgrade from there! Mostly all turbo kits now can be upgraded to handle enough power to satisfy your DAILY DRIVING needs!
Old 01-23-2002, 10:00 AM
New User

Default Re: Buy a kit or piece it out (pagong)

I am building up a custom setup. I recommend it because you can decide what you want to use foe fueling, bov, wastegate, exact turbo to use, etc........