Notices

Bushing Turbochargers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:44 AM
GO GIANTS!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bushing Turbochargers.

I would like to know your thoughts about a T3/T04E 60mm Bushing Turbo. How is there response/lag?

Lets try to stay on topic and not stupid Poll Choices please.

Ty

Modified by HondamanXxX at 10:57 AM 10/19/2007
Old 10-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bushing Turbochargers. (HondamanXxX)

I believe Turbodano was correct when he said ball bearings don't move air, lol.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:17 AM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: Bushing Turbochargers. (jjspec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jjspec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I believe Turbodano was correct when he said ball bearings don't move air, lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am not really sure what you are talking about.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:54 PM
GO GIANTS!

257 Views and 7 votes? It's a free country. VOTE!!!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

why should one vote when no one knows what setup you're trying to make? It's a moot point here.

Get a turbo that works for your needs based on your research. Everyone is going to have an opinion one way or another, be a man and decide for yourself. You're talking about a senseless poll, and you've just created one.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:57 AM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: Bushing Turbochargers. (TheShodan)

No I am simply asking what peoples thoughts are about this turbo. I am not asking if I should install this turbo and build around this turbo.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:03 AM

People are trying to help you here. Shodan is correct it IS a moot point. What's your budget for the turbo? What HP range? How are you driving it?

If you want BB vs bushing straight up for performance then BB is going to win. It will provide a little quicker spool and muchmore transient response. Now on a drag car this really isn't going to matter and you will waste your money. So if you want to know more about this rather then ask a really bad poll, ask some specific questions and let us kno whwat you want out of the turbo.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Bushing Turbochargers. (adseguy)

If you are on a budget and are ONLY doign the 1320' and have a 1.8L or larger thats built, its a good turbo.

If its a street/auto-x car, its a raging POS.

A 60mm t3/t04e doesn't technically exist, as this would be like a clipped T-61 wheel in a cover that is designed for a much smaller wheel. As people have said, an oversized comp wheel in an undersized cover is the *worst* of both worlds - has minimal power gains over the smaller version, and minimal spool gains than the larger version.

If this was meant as a 60 TRIM t3/t04e, well its about as big as you need with pumpgas (to get the most area under the curve), but too small for serious drag racing. And BB doens't matter in anything besides auto-x and e-***** contests.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Bushing Turbochargers. (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> And BB doens't matter in anything besides auto-x and e-***** contests.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hehe. I"ve GOTTA use that..
Old 10-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bushing Turbochargers. (TheShodan)

haha, displacement and build/cam/etc willl greatly affect your spool, not mentioning exhaust, etc. All of the BB turbos have "theoretically" the same amount of lag time... if they spool at the same RPM point... it's not linear between the turbos though, so a turbo that will spool at 5K will spool faster, just based upon the principal of flow and CFM of the motor.... too many variables. If you say "Will a T3/T04E be laggy in an Auto-x car with a built B18C1, vs a GT28r? My goal is between X and X HP." would be a more appropreate question.

It is a known fact: BB turbos spool lightning fast compared to a wet floating type... about 1/2 the lag.

The way to compensate for the lag is a 30shot under WOT on a 4 sec timer or a enable switch on the wheel/stick; but that is another monster of a question/answer.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Bushing Turbochargers. (JaredKaragen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JaredKaragen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha, displacement and build/cam/etc willl greatly affect your spool, not mentioning exhaust, etc. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true, but it is both the combination of the displacement with said turbocharger used makes the largest difference

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JaredKaragen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is a known fact: BB turbos spool lightning fast compared to a wet floating type... about 1/2 the lag.</TD></TR></TABLE>

But do you understand as to why? I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is the COMBINATION of the wheel design and the cartridge that are working that makes the turbo a more effective "spooler". the "faster spool" that you see from the "R" series is a by-product of that design, not the cartridge itself. There are other ways to achieve this by-product, as seen in some of the Borg-Warner extended tip turbochargers, but don't get general saying it is 1/2 the lag, when that may not all be the case. In some applications depending upon use, it sometimes DOES NOT make a difference.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The way to compensate for the lag is a 30shot under WOT on a 4 sec timer or a enable switch on the wheel/stick; but that is another monster of a question/answer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why do that, when he can get a turbocharger that uses a broader powerband or a different boost controller system?.. Thats just throwing even more money at a problem when it isn't necessary.