Notices

Built Motor w/200 miles light smoke from Breather????

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built Motor w/200 miles light smoke from Breather????

I've noticed that while my car is running Im getting a light smoke from my breather hose(the one that connects to the bock on by the #3 and #4 cylider). The motor is sleeved, rods, pistons, ect... It runs great and made 180 psi across all cylinders on a compression test. What could be causing this? Anyone else experience this?
Old 07-31-2006, 07:36 AM

blowby do a leakdown test.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Danny_EJ)

Yeah im going to do one this week. Hopefully that will tell
Old 07-31-2006, 09:24 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (g2turbo)

i've always had smoke out my breather, a little bit.

its actually not smoke, its more of a steam. its happened on my built engine for 10k, and not getting worse, and it has no other symptoms.

it happened on the stock motor too, with the same PCV setup. its not always a bad thing
Old 07-31-2006, 09:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redzcstandardhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've always had smoke out my breather, a little bit.

its actually not smoke, its more of a steam. its happened on my built engine for 10k, and not getting worse, and it has no other symptoms.

it happened on the stock motor too, with the same PCV setup. its not always a bad thing</TD></TR></TABLE>

I honestly haven't seen a catch can system that hasn't smoked a little bit. And like he said, it looks more like steam then smoke.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93turbo16)

Yeah my situation is the same. The smoke is white and appears to have no negative effects on the performance of the engine.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my catch can and valve cover breather both "smoke". as mentioned, its more of a steam than smoke.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RTW DC2R)

I meant to say steam. I spoke to Earl regarding the issue this afternoon and he commented that it possible I may be experiencing a small weepage from one of the sleeves. Ill keep and eye on it.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Built Motor w/200 miles light smoke from Breather???? (g2turbo)

Normal.

.....but I'm just waiting for someone to come in here and tell you your ringlands are broken.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Built Motor w/200 miles light smoke from Breather???? (RyanEJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanEJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Normal.

.....but I'm just waiting for someone to come in here and tell you your ringlands are broken.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol
get the same thing
i freaked out but realized nothing was wrong when both compression and leakdown were perfect
Old 07-31-2006, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ofcourse you are going to get some "smoke", you can take the oil cap off on any healthy car and see the same thing..it's just oil vapor.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr. Helsinki)

Thanks for the feedback. I just worry way too much.

I am having an issue though that I still cant figure out, I think I know the problem but just cant beleive it lol.

Everytime I pull my plugs #1 cylinder the plug has oil on it. THe car smokes a little blue smoke on startup then clears immediately. Alaniz did the cylinder head and did his "OEM" valve job(and supposedly replaced the seals). But I have reason to beleive that its leaking through the valve seals on that cylinder. I pulled the exhaust and sure enough there is oil on one side of the exhaust port.

What I dont understand is that it leaves enough oil on top of the piston to be noticable looking down the hole, but doesnt cause the car to smoke during normal driving. Any ideas on this one guys? Here is what Joe wrote when I emailed him.

\

Here was Joe's response to my emails back and forth detailing the problems:
They are in order from most recent to original:

What Is seeping out is most likely the lube. I try to put just a dabb but maybe I just put a glob instead. It gets past the guides after all you need some clearance between the valve and the guide. The lube is under the seal. All other oil is above the seal. let the engine run and dont waist any more time or money. It will eventually clean itself up. Mail me a bit later and let me know if the problem persists. Thanks.

Joe Alaniz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: "Elias Alaniz" &lt;eliasalaniz@hotmail.com&gt;
Subject: RE: OEM Valve Job
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:36:00 -0400

The car doesnt misfire, the engine was completely assembled about 6 months ago and has been in a bag since its install a week ago. Its a completely fresh motor, and to be honest it runs perfect. I just get the blue smoke on startup. The compression is perfect, idles great.

The only reason I am concerned is because this is the only cylinder that is looking like this. Are you suggesting that the lube you use is what Im seeing on top of the piston? Or is that lube allowing oil to pass the stem of the valve?

Thanks for the replies Joe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 2:20 PM
To: Chris Gabbard

Chris:

You are wasting your time. Like I said I use lube on the guides as well as in the valve seals. There may have a been some excess lube still there. It will burn off eventually. If you are consumming oil or there is a big cloud of blue smoke then there might be a problem with the seals/guides and that can be assesed later.

Does your car missfire? Was your engine recently rebuilt?

Joe Alaniz

To: "Elias Alaniz" &lt;eliasalaniz@hotmail.com&gt;
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:59:14 -0400

Hey Joe it is definitely oil. I pulled the exhaust last night and #1 cyl had oil in the exhaust port (oil and carbon mix), on the stem of the valve, and also on the seat you could see oil. The other cylinders looked ok to me. What can you do to accomodate me on this? I can take any pictures if you need. Im gonna have to pay around $100 to have this taken care of by my mechanic and would like you help./

Please let me know what you can do.

Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 1:09 PM
To: Chris Gabbard

I use a high temp lube when assembling the head. There might be traces on the port that will seep in when the engine is off and the cams are in the open position. Seventy miles is not enough miles to burn off any lube that might stil be lingering specially in the intake.

If your getting blue smoke out the tail pipe, then there is a problem. Let me know if the problem persists.

Joe Alaniz

To: &lt;eliasalaniz@hotmail.com&gt;
Subject: OEM Valve Job
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:37:11 -0400

Joe you did an OEM valve job and installed my Supertech springs and retainers a few months back(actually last year). Finally assembled the motor a month ago and started the car this past week. The engine has 70 miles on it and Im getting consistent oil on plug#1 and on top of piston. The engine has good compression 180 accross the board and no leakdown issues. What could this be? you replaced the valve seals correct? Could it be possible that one is torn?

Regards,

Chris

Old 07-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (g2turbo)

Do you get a lot of smoke out the exhaust in the morning after your car has sat overnight? IF so, I would point at valve guides.

But, one easy thing to fix and sometimes its the cause of sparkplug wetness is the 4 O-rings that seal the valvecover around the spark plug holes.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

Its definitely not the spark plug o-rings.

And yes the smoke is after the car has sat for a few hours. Blue smoke for about 5-10 seconds then clears right up.