Notices

Built engine for turbo, but is really, really slow.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built engine for turbo, but is really, really slow.

Ok, so I bought a B18A1 block and had it re-sleeved by Golden Eagle with the new HD sleeve's and then got it bored out to 84mm and put some JE 9.1 pistons in there with Golden Eagle rods and rings. Also I'm using my B16A2 head and I put GSR camshafts and that's all I did to the head besides get it all cleaned up from a mechanic shop. And I got a ACT 6 puck clutch and got a P28 with a LS VTEC chip in it.
Just got the car running yesterday and no leaks. Took it for a drive and let me tell you, this thing is probably as slow as a stock ls. Before anyone jumps on me bout getting on it or what not, lets not get into that. It's my car and I hear all kinds of story's bout break in periods and what not then there's those that say just get on it right away cause it seals the rings better. But anyways it's slow. Super slow.
I'm starting to think that my valves need to be adjusted cause when I took it to the mechanic shop to get the head cleaned up I think they put all the valves in without adjusting them. And I'm also starting to consider the camshafts a player in this too. Might of got ripped off if there not GSR camshafts but couldn't tell the diffrence from my Si camshafts to the GSR ones. And also I have -8 NGK sparkplugs in there. I know those are way to cold but it's all I had for now and I'm gonna go get some 6's today. But other than that, it's all I can think of why it's running so damn slow. If anyone can help me out and maybe pinpoint on what it could be please let me know. Any help would be appreciated. Thx.
P.S. I did time it and it's at 16.
Also I do not have a turbo on there as of now but I wouldn't think that my car would be this slow with all I've done to it so far.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Built engine for turbo, but is really, really slow. (TAGURIT)

when my charge pipe blew off the turbo, my motor was a dog.
so yeah compression does come into play
Old 04-18-2005, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this might be a stupid question...but is vtec working?
Old 04-18-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Built engine for turbo, but is really, really slow. (redturbocivic)

Yea, vtec is working. When I get on it, she seems like she wants to go but there's nothing for top end wise.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is the turbo on yet?
Old 04-18-2005, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Built engine for turbo, but is really, really slow. (B16Civic93)

nope, turbo is not on yet. And even if the compression is low, I would of thought boring it out to 84mm would of at least compesated for that.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

with no turbo on the car, running that low of compression will make the car slow. there isnt anything on the car adding power. lsvtec setups run higher compression when they are all motor, that is where the power comes from. When you put the turbo on, you will notice a night and day difference
Old 04-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im surprized that wasnt obvious to you?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:28 AM
95GSRTT

Default Re: (iGfrequency)

a stock LS isnt that much higher in compression though. And he now has a vtec head which should flow more on the top end and hes bored out to 84 MM so hes close to 2 liters compared to 1.8.

I would definitely say something is wrong with the car if it is infact slower and just not in your head, b/c you thought it would be a speed demon
Old 04-18-2005, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95GSRTT)

What - if anything - have you done to diagnose the problem? Compression test? Leakdown? Are all four holes firing? Is there any smoke? Does it stumble?

Not trying to be a jerk, but it would help to have a bit more information than 'it feels slow.' Help us help you.......
Old 04-18-2005, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95GSRTT)

It sounds to me like you have no idea what you are doing and you think that because you have some aftermarket engine components thrown together you are going to make good power. How do you do a full build and not care to check the valve lash? When you put in the new cams did you even back off the valve lash and reset it? Are you tuned at all for your new engine setup? Are you running any timing at all on those cold plugs?
Old 04-18-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Re: (ScottEK)

I haven't done a compression test...just took it in today to get the valves adjusted and that helped a little but nothing drastic. All 4 cylinders are a go...no smoke and the only stumbling it does is when I try and take off but that's just me trying to get use to this new 6puck.
As for me being tuned for this setup... I should be. I wrote down that I have a P28 with a ls vtec chip in it when I started this post. But I got this chip from a buddy of mine that had the same setup as I do now. I mean everything is the same except for the camshafts. So here in the next hour or so I'm taking those out and putting the stock one's back in and see what happens then.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (TAGURIT)

i bet the "LSVTEC" chip your running is probably not even close to being properly tuned for that engine. weather its boosted or not so its probably slowing you down.

vtec crossover it probably all wrong and the ignition maps are defiantly all wrong for a 2.0L setup.

i wouldn't worry to much about how it performs right now....once you get the turbo on and have it properly dyno tuned then it should be running right.

just as long as its not to lean or way to rich right now your safe......for now
Old 04-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (non-VTEC)

the chip you have is most likey tuned for something with 10.1 + compression, i think it might be running too rich with enough timing. And timing, did you change the cam timing according to the compression? When you lower the compression you have to adjust the timing drastically
Old 04-18-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Built engine for turbo, but is really, really slow. (johnnylawless)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johnnylawless &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when my charge pipe blew off the turbo, my motor was a dog.
so yeah compression does come into play</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wonder if that power drop has anything to do with the fact that your motor is trying to push the exhaust flow through a 30 HP restriction, AKA the turbine housing. Nah, not likely. It's all compression

I can't remember who it was, but his car at 9:1 compression still went 102 MPH in the 1/4 naturally aspirated in a full weight/full interior EG hatch. 9:1 compression vs. 10:1 compression at the same bore is worth around 5 WHP naturally aspirated, it's not much of a difference at all. The 84mm bore MORE than makes up for the difference. Stop wetting yourselves thinking the low compression is making him slow.

The chip is probably wrong, get a wideband on there stat and adjust your valves, then get back to us.