Notices

Built DOHC ZC Turbo Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built DOHC ZC Turbo Advice

1990 Civic SI
Alright guys, just built my DOHC ZC last weekend.

-Eagle H Beams Stock length
-Stock Compression CP Pistons
-NPR Rings
-King Main/Rod Bearings
-Stock head gasket
-Stock head

Currently breaking in the motor, probably put about 250 miles on it now so I need to have my turbo parts ready!

What I have currently:
-20G Water cooled turbo
-Log manifold
-RDX 410cc injectors w/ clips
-K-Tuned Inj tophats
-Neptune/Demonware
-XTD Stage 3 clutch
-Walbro 255

Basically my goal: Power.
I haven't ever owned anything more powerful than my old EM1 that was bone stock really. But that sure was slow to me. From just seeing/driving cars with power I think somewhere in the 250-300 range for daily driving would be very satisfying.

Is this a realistic goal for a daily driver and my parts setup?

Also, I don't know what do about downpipe, intercooler, piping, bov, wg. Any insight for what would fit my build would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-10-2014, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Built DOHC ZC Turbo Advice

I have no idea if that turbo is correctly sized or even capable of your goals. I'm not sure what transmission you have, but more power would definitely appreciate the help of a LSD.

When you say Log manifold, is it cast or actual pipes?
Injectors may be small for 300 wHP. I think that's in the 550cc range.
Neptune RTP Demon is a good choice.

Downpipe is tricky. You either have it custom made after you have your manifold or buy them together from someone. Greg at Goautoworks can custom fab you a manifold and downpipe fit to your motor and turbo if you provide him enough details.

Intercooler is something I cheaped out on. You can get a decent used one. You don't need a large one for your set up. Find a FMIC you can afford (air to air) and it should work.

Piping is something that I cheaped out on too. Just make sure you use good couplers.

BOV/WG is highly opinionated and based on your exhaust manifold. My manifold was gated for a 38mm wastegate, so that's what I bought. I suggest Tial but there are several great brands.

You should set more than just a HP goal. If you are literally just looking to tool around the streets, you'll want response. If you are looking to do auto-x or time attack, you'll want response. If you are just looking for drag racing punk kids, you don't have to worry so much. Choosing a correctly sized turbo will go a long way.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm I think you have a long way to go in the R&D process before getting underway, but I can show you pictures of how I came along with my ZC turbo build. Should give you plenty of ideas of what direction to go with yours. :D

Do links like this work?? https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=df41aa8cbb

Last edited by Seraph0; 09-10-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana
I have no idea if that turbo is correctly sized or even capable of your goals. I'm not sure what transmission you have, but more power would definitely appreciate the help of a LSD.

When you say Log manifold, is it cast or actual pipes?
Injectors may be small for 300 wHP. I think that's in the 550cc range.
Neptune RTP Demon is a good choice.

Downpipe is tricky. You either have it custom made after you have your manifold or buy them together from someone. Greg at Goautoworks can custom fab you a manifold and downpipe fit to your motor and turbo if you provide him enough details.

Intercooler is something I cheaped out on. You can get a decent used one. You don't need a large one for your set up. Find a FMIC you can afford (air to air) and it should work.

Piping is something that I cheaped out on too. Just make sure you use good couplers.

BOV/WG is highly opinionated and based on your exhaust manifold. My manifold was gated for a 38mm wastegate, so that's what I bought. I suggest Tial but there are several great brands.

You should set more than just a HP goal. If you are literally just looking to tool around the streets, you'll want response. If you are looking to do auto-x or time attack, you'll want response. If you are just looking for drag racing punk kids, you don't have to worry so much. Choosing a correctly sized turbo will go a long way.
1. Cast manifold
2. Injectors can be sold, RC 550cc injectors would be a better idea?
3. I have a stock ZC trans (no lsd) would like LSD but not in the budget right now
4. Plan on getting an ebay fmic/piping kit. should this be okay?
5. I will figure out what my manifold is gated to. And I've heard many good things about Tial and Turbosmart so I am sticking with them.
6. Well my only goal is HP because, yes, it is my DD and I am a weekend 1/4 1/8 mile guy. I don't have too much need for response, just raw power and spool isnt a huge deal for me. Just want to blow the wheels off when I feel like it.

With that said, any of this that you guys can guide me in the right direction id appreciate it. I think what I'm going to do is buy myself a short open dump and have the exhaust fabricated afterwards.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Seraph0
Hmm I think you have a long way to go in the R&D process before getting underway, but I can show you pictures of how I came along with my ZC turbo build. Should give you plenty of ideas of what direction to go with yours. :D

Do links like this work?? https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=df41aa8cbb
Unfortunately that didnt work.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just go to the sticky at the top of the page and scroll away. I'm sure you can search this subforum for ZC and find plenty of boosted DOHC ZC builds. You have internals, so you are taking a step in the right direction.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana
Just go to the sticky at the top of the page and scroll away. I'm sure you can search this subforum for ZC and find plenty of boosted DOHC ZC builds. You have internals, so you are taking a step in the right direction.
Cool I'm running through there now. Will post if I have any more questions! Thanks a bunch.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can make well over 300hp with a 20g... assuming it's a real one and not some eBay knockoff.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
You can make well over 300hp with a 20g... assuming it's a real one and not some eBay knockoff.
Pulled from salvage yard myself!