Notices

Building my own turbo manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building my own turbo manifold?

Hey guys, I was wondering how difficult it would be to build my own turbo manifold. I drive an 02 Civic and nobody has anything out in terms of turbos or superchargers yet and I was considering building my own manifold. What exactly would be involved in this? Could I take a stock manifold and chop it up and find a collector and flange to fit it? Also, if I do make it that way, how long should I expect it to last before it cracks?

I plan on running about 4-5 PSI off a IHI RHB5 turbo (daily driven, just want about 30-50 extra horses). I also plan on getting me an AFC to get more fuel into the engine (returnless fuel system)...either that, or install an additional injector somewhere in the intake (this should work fine, right? Nitrous system use this method to inject, so it shouldn't be too different with fuel).

And of course, I'll probably build my own little downpipe and get a high flow cat with 2.5" piping to the rear. As far as a turbo timer, I was thinking of holding off on that...I mean, I could always sit in my car for 2 minutes and let the turbo cool off. A/F ratio, boost pressure, and oil pressure gauges to monitor everything. I can also get an intercooler off a Saab 900 (my uncle owns a shop that specializes in that car and they have all sorts of parts sitting around.)

Let me know what you guys think of everything so far and if I'm leaving anything out. Thanks.

Oh, and Geoff, how are things going with the kit for the 7th gens?
Old 05-31-2002, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building my own turbo manifold? (2k2civic)

I was wondering the same thing. I believe that the stock manifold is cast iron and cannot be welded with steel which is what you make the manifold out of.
I also have some questions. Like if it were gasless mig welded, how long would it last? I know tig is the right way, but I already have the mig welder. I made a downpipe using gasless mig and it holds up, but I don't know if the manifold would because of the heat and stuff. I was thinking of trying to make a twin turbo manifold over the summer for my gsr with like a t25 and big t3\t4 .

Brad
Old 06-01-2002, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Building my own turbo manifold? (Brad)

ttt
Old 06-01-2002, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think it would be to hard to make your own manifold..granted you know somewhat of what your doing and how to weld.
Old 06-01-2002, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im assuming this is Aram? Hey.. well i am in NJ right now so i have not been art maxrev whatsoever. I doubt any progress has occured regarding the 2k2 civics as they have been changing the prelude kit drastically. If you know of someone who lives in NJ and wants a manifold prototyped on their car i can do that in about 4 weeks. right now i am working on an equal length AC comapitble B series manifold, and almost finished with the 4g63 manifolds. After that id be interested in making an equal length manifold only, not a complete kit, thats maxrev territory.
Old 06-01-2002, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building my own turbo manifold? (FFgeoff)

If you've fabbed your own downpipes before I'm confident that you can make your own...I'd just get a nice one custom made for $400-600. Good luck
Old 06-01-2002, 04:45 PM

interested in my B series IHI RHB5 manifold.??

Old 06-01-2002, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building my own turbo manifold? (Brad)

just for info you CAN weld steel to cast iron. I've seen my friends weld things like external wastegate elbows to cast iron manifolds like HKS. I believe he was using Stainless steel rod. TIG of course.