Notices

breaking in a turbo motor w/o turbo

Old 09-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breaking in a turbo motor w/o turbo

i am trying to break in my brand new built turbo motor. i using s300, 1000 cc injector and 3 bar map sensor from my previous setup which was tuned on it. Things that are changed is low compression pistons, piston size is also 82mm, rods, dual spring, retainers, and bigger intake manifold. i already installed the turbo kit on the car with everything and now i am wondering if its safer to change the injectors back to stock, install a stock ecu, and disconnect the intercooler pipping from the intake and leave the turbo on and break it in. what you guys think is safer, or recommend me doing? thanks.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: breaking in a turbo motor w/o turbo

Did you really need two threads? As far as the ECU is it running off the stock GSR map? It needs to be tuned or at least a basemap for your setup, I would check that first.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

leave the turbo on, take it to have it tuned, once tuned, dyno it and break it in that way. now days everyone building motors are tuning them and beating them. if its built right and tuned right nothing is going to happen, and everything ive read about beating the motor after its tuned is actually better for break in. it actually forces the rings against the walls to seat them instead of grannying the car and not really forcing the rings against the walls.

which ever method you choose i would leave the turbo setup on and have it tuned first thing, if the motor is not stock do not run a stock ecu and injectors on it for break in. if you have it tuned first you will avoid washing the walls with the larger injectors.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:47 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Stock ECU on a non-stock setup. What do YOU think will happen?
Old 09-08-2011, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any motor I have ever assembled is broken in on the dyno. I let the motor run prior to insure that the rings have seated. Typically I do several compression checks along the way to confirm everything is going properly.

If the motor is assembled right the rings will seat very quickly.