Notices

Break-in with untuned EMS, or stock ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Break-in with untuned EMS, or stock ECU?

Im a few weeks away from starting up the beast for the first time.
With the setup in my sig, should I start the car and break the engine in with the EMS?
Or should I put the ol' check valves and fmu on the car and run 2 psi with the stock ECU? I plan to drive/trailer the car to Tom Payne to get it tuned after a few hundred miles.
Im using a slightly modified base program for 440cc injectors, and everything else is pretty close in comparison with his setup and mine(during break-in, the secondary injectors will NOT be used).
I just dont want to wash the cylinder walls down with gas and ruin any chances of the rings seating...
ps...I will have Autotune functioning as well....
Old 02-19-2003, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Break-in with untuned EMS, or stock ECU? (Tinker219)

Run the stock computer, and take out your wastegates spring so you cannot build any boost. This will eliminate any uncertainties that you might have starting up a build engine for the first time with an aftermarket computer. Remember to run your stock injectors in conjunction with the computer.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Break-in with untuned EMS, or stock ECU? (boosted hybrid)

So Im going to have to undo ALL my resistors, cut off the dsm injector plugs, reinstall the stock ones....sounds like alot of work... I think Im going to chance the EMS...I dont think the base map could be THAT much different from what Im running.
When I put in the 450cc injectors, it recalibrated the base fuel map too...So I think thatll help as well...anybody have any experiece on this?
I think im going to remove the WG spring...good idea because I dont trust myself
Old 02-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solution #3:

Go to http://www.aempower.com

Enter the forums.

Register with your serial number.

Download a suitable program.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Break-in with untuned EMS, or stock ECU? (qtiger)

Solution #3:

Go to http://www.aempower.com

Enter the forums.

Register with your serial number.

Download a suitable program.
just because my new title is "Im retarded" doesnt mean that I really am(ok MAYBE)...
but Im 2 months ahead of you there...
I dont think anybody on there has an 8 injector high compression LS basemap...last i checked there wasnt anyone on there anyway...
Old 02-19-2003, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just because my new title is "Im retarded" doesnt mean that I really am(ok MAYBE)...
but Im 2 months ahead of you there...
I dont think anybody on there has an 8 injector high compression LS basemap...last i checked there wasnt anyone on there anyway...
There's a config by AEM for a 2.0 liter turbo running 440CC injectors. That should be more than enough to get you to Payn Tech from Roseville. While you're there you can tell him I'm still waiting for dyno figures on the NA GSR w/ Comp Cams.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually reread my location...
im about 5 hours away from Tom Payne..and I will let him know.
I want to have about 500 miles on the engine before I take it to him and beat the **** out of it. I just want to make sure that I dont "wet" the cylinder walls down upon startup.
I have Jp's basemap for 12psi and 440ccs. I modified for the 6850rpm redline of my stock head(for now), and ditched the Vtec dips and all that ****. Everything else should be pretty close to the same, as his setup and mine are fairly Identical..
I would run with stock computer except Ive got a good 5 hours labor seperating the EMS from the ECU, so Id rather do it once and be done...
Old 02-19-2003, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually reread my location...
Amusing on so many levels.

im about 5 hours away from Tom Payne..and I will let him know.
I want to have about 500 miles on the engine before I take it to him and beat the **** out of it. I just want to make sure that I dont "wet" the cylinder walls down upon startup.
I have Jp's basemap for 12psi and 440ccs. I modified for the 6850rpm redline of my stock head(for now), and ditched the Vtec dips and all that ****. Everything else should be pretty close to the same, as his setup and mine are fairly Identical..
I would run with stock computer except Ive got a good 5 hours labor seperating the EMS from the ECU, so Id rather do it once and be done...
I wouldn't be concerned about the fuel maps during breakin. You're not going to be putting the motor under a whole lot of load, and that map should be darn close, especially unboosted and out of VTEC. Just keep an eye on your A/F and make sure it doesn't go anyplace dangerous.

Or if you're still feeling kinda squeamish get a WBO2 and let it autotune. That will get you a nice temporary map and cost you less $$$ when Tom gets you on the dyno. He still running $200/hr?
Old 02-19-2003, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im building my own wb02, so I guess once I get that hooked up, then I prolly shouldnt worry about a damned thing until I want to go WOT. autotune is sweet
Tom is charging 185/hr right now, and will be charging 165/hr in april once he gets his In-house dyno. This is what he told me about a week ago....
Old 02-19-2003, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im building my own wb02, so I guess once I get that hooked up, then I prolly shouldnt worry about a damned thing until I want to go WOT. autotune is sweet
Tom is charging 185/hr right now, and will be charging 165/hr in april once he gets his In-house dyno. This is what he told me about a week ago....
Autotune will do you fine, and that base map will let you idle right on startup.

He must have gotten a better deal from the dyno... was running ~$200/hr when I asked last summer. I'm holding out for his in-house dyno. He's expensive, but I can't find anyone else in the area that knows what they're doing on ITBs.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:38 PM
New User

Question:

1. Why 8X 450cc injectors? I would prefer 4 larger injectors. It's not like idle can't be done right. 720cc will be plenty for 350HP.

2. Autotune is not everything. Time behind the steering with your labtop and WB is everything.

Good luck with everything.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Break-in with untuned EMS, or stock ECU? ([Evo]Hybrid)

Question:

1. Why 8X 450cc injectors? I would prefer 4 larger injectors. It's not like idle can't be done right. 720cc will be plenty for 350HP.

2. Autotune is not everything. Time behind the steering with your labtop and WB is everything.

Good luck with everything.
Thank you, and I picked 8 450s because I can, and $140 for 900cc worth of injectors verse $140+ for each injector for something bigger...
as for nobody in michigan knowing what they are doing, that is true...Tom is one of the most knowledgeable guys in the business PERIOD. Im hoping he sticks to his $165/hr price, and hopefully it wont take much longer than 2 hours to get my car maxed out....
Old 02-19-2003, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Break-in with untuned EMS, or stock ECU? ([Evo]Hybrid)

Question:

A) EMS supports staged injection, B) Better fuel economy, and C) There are many advantages to injectors higher in the intake tract. The injector's OEM positioning is designed for fuel economy, not performance.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:21 PM
New User

Question:

A) EMS supports staged injection, B) Better fuel economy, and C) There are many advantages to injectors higher in the intake tract. The injector's OEM positioning is designed for fuel economy, not performance.
Okay guys, See you all on EMS board. My User name on there is Hybrid, hope I won't see too many question posting about how to on staged injection setup.
Btw, you can idle very well and get excellent fuel economy on larger four injector setup. Use boost comp to tune it.