Notices

Brand New Motor Gone

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New Motor Gone

Long story short... I got a motor built in Ga... I got a gsr block sleeved with cp 9:7:1 pistons and gsr eagle rods with a b16 head with gsr cams with skunk 2 valvetrain. I have a 6265 turbo on the car with a ramhorn. When the shop put the motor together and tuned the car they said that the motor had boost creep and wasnt really able to hold a steady but the tuned the car anyway.. and told to fix the boost creep by getting a bigger wastegate.. but told me that is was going to be aight..

The point of all this is.. I was driving the car and went thru a 1, 2 and let off.. with the car.. The catch can started to smoke(vented on the valve cover before the exhaust manifold).. Now the motor feels sluggish.. and the catch can smokes all the time.. and i have white smoke coming out the exhaust.. i am lost on what the hell happened.. and i don't car feels like ****.. i think that i have bad rings.. but the motor is brand new.. and it is hurt already.. i am so lost.. and the shop that i got it built says.. i over boosted the car... and i am on my own.. i was thinking that it was the rings.. that has gone bad.. and i just got it back.. and the shop and i are not friends.. and i don't trust anybody in ga to touch my car.. cause everybody i use.. just ****s up my ****... totally.. what do you think my issue is on the motor.. and what should i do..
Old 12-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brand New Motor Gone

Do a compression test and leak down if possible. If you have over boosted then its the person what tuned your car's fault. Sorry to hear about this and your situation.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds flugly. I had an engine do that on me. Rings, ring lands, and 2 pistons where gone. I suggest if u cant disassemble/assemble on ur own, get a respectable shop to do it. Sounds like the guys who tuned ur car screw up something.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you break in the motor properly after is was built???? This has to be done or the rings will not seat correctly and can cause the oil burning and blow by you are getting. Second any good tuner will not tune with a bad boost creep, they will tell you what the problem is and how to fix it and then to come back for tuning once it is fixed. If the tuner tuned the motor with boost creep anyways and it over boosted and hurt the motor, then it sounds to me like the tuner owes you a motor.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nealnanoHX
Did you break in the motor properly after is was built???? This has to be done or the rings will not seat correctly and can cause the oil burning and blow by you are getting. Second any good tuner will not tune with a bad boost creep, they will tell you what the problem is and how to fix it and then to come back for tuning once it is fixed. If the tuner tuned the motor with boost creep anyways and it over boosted and hurt the motor, then it sounds to me like the tuner owes you a motor.
The guys became shady.. And they said that i over boosted it.. But they tuned it over boosted.. And said.. Its my problem... The whole build is 3 weeks old..
Old 12-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what ems is this on i mean what was boost cut set to thsi is there for this exact reason so you dont have this issue
Old 12-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sanman000719
what ems is this on i mean what was boost cut set to thsi is there for this exact reason so you dont have this issue
Im on s300.. .. All i was told it has has boost creep and boost fluctuates.. And I need to fix the problem. Morris at midnight atl.. Did the tune and stretch aka cadien built the motor. The car made 530 and 397 torque.. But it lasted 2 weeks.. Thats all..
Old 12-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nealnanoHX
They built the motor.. And let it run for a hr.. made sure there were no leaks. And then went to the dyno... With brand new motor and clutch......
Old 12-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well you shoulod have a boost cut setting on s300 unless you went in and raised the boost past the tuned (safe) psi it should have hit cut and not allowed you to be over the set amount

fluctuation i understand but boost/fuel cut is just that a cut not to exceed
Old 12-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well you shoulod have a boost cut setting on s300 unless you went in and raised the boost past the tuned (safe) psi it should have hit cut and not allowed you to be over the set amount
LP
fluctuation i understand but boost/fuel cut is just that a cut not to exceed
I have not touched the s300... At all.. There might be one... But dont know what it, is. All i know the car doesnt make constant boost at all... it is random.. And im only running off waste gate. And which is 12 spring.. But hit 18 to 25.. Whenever it wants to..
Old 12-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did Morris ever tell you why it creeped? I had my buddies ls/v tuned there and not one single problem, but a week later the car suddenly disappeared when it was left a one of Stretches friends house.... but i agree with what everyone else said up above, morris is a good tuner and as such a good tuner he should have told you the reason why it overboosted and what they could have done to solve the problem even if more money would have came out of pocket, thats what a respectable tuner would have done, and did they not let the motor break in properly, there are certain steps into breaking in a motor, not just letting it sit there and run for an hour.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by germ8998
Did Morris ever tell you why it creeped? I had my buddies ls/v tuned there and not one single problem, but a week later the car suddenly disappeared when it was left a one of Stretches friends house.... but i agree with what everyone else said up above, morris is a good tuner and as such a good tuner he should have told you the reason why it overboosted and what they could have done to solve the problem even if more money would have came out of pocket, thats what a respectable tuner would have done, and did they not let the motor break in properly, there are certain steps into breaking in a motor, not just letting it sit there and run for an hour.
Morris said that.. The way my wastegate is done.. It needs to be, ported.. Or get a bigger wastegate.. They said the diaphragm was floating. But still tuned it.. They wanted the car out there.. Cause.. I was getting mad that it was taking to long for all my, stuff to be done.. From word on the street.. Not all my parts was on the car.. Even my radiator was leaking.. And they said it was not that bad.. And just fix it..
Old 12-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

who did the radiator he did??? because if he did and told you that ide tell him to F/O and get my car done
Old 12-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did... But i fixed it.. The plugs was too tight.. And started drip.. The washer was pinched..
Old 12-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a bad experience man and really all you can do is start on the new setup, and find a tuner thats highly respected and trusted as well
Old 12-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a bad experience man and really all you can do is start on the new setup, and find a tuner thats highly respected and trusted as well
Yup..... But its hard too trust people that all they do is **** **** up and take your money.. I officially dont want any ga built shops touching the, whip.. Cause all a see is bs... I guess im going too have too send it too ryan chin in florida.. With tdautowerks to get good work done..
Old 12-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a solid plan
Old 12-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a solid plan
Dont want to take it there.. But.. Nobody i see build motors in ga.. Work or last... Its sad..
Old 12-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic-r11
Dont want to take it there.. But.. Nobody i see build motors in ga.. Work or last... Its sad..
i can and cant agree with this, theres a few top notch engine builders in ga but most of them wont touch a honda engine or anything smaller than 3.0L this is why i personally build my own stuff and get it tuned either a forged performance, battleground, or lethal injection, but money is so tight now a days im gonna have to end up tuning everything myself...good luck with your next build sir, and if you are looking towards a builder down in florida, check out either titan motorsports or cft...great shops but kinda pricey
Old 12-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It sucks that your motor is shot, but don't trash a shop unless you have proof they screwed up. If you bought an untested rad and didn't have the right parts (huge turbo for a tiny WG, etc), don't blame them for the result. They work with what you give them unless you pay them to buy AND install the parts for you.

Futhermore, it's very easy for someone to install a ring upside down or fail to gap a piston ring correctly. Lots of ringlands break because the stock gap is too small on the top compression ring. If the rings bound up, they'd damage the piston and loose all their sealing abilities.

At this point there's a dozen reasons it could have failed, and I really don't see that you've explored any of them in depth.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think a 6265 is a huge turbo at all

i run a pt67 .70/.82 with a 38mm gate and never had an issue at all
Old 12-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stock95coupe
It sucks that your motor is shot, but don't trash a shop unless you have proof they screwed up. If you bought an untested rad and didn't have the right parts (huge turbo for a tiny WG, etc), don't blame them for the result. They work with what you give them unless you pay them to buy AND install the parts for you.

Futhermore, it's very easy for someone to install a ring upside down or fail to gap a piston ring correctly. Lots of ringlands break because the stock gap is too small on the top compression ring. If the rings bound up, they'd damage the piston and loose all their sealing abilities.

At this point there's a dozen reasons it could have failed, and I really don't see that you've explored any of them in depth.
i disagree with everything this guy said
Old 12-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic-r11
Im on s300.. .. All i was told it has has boost creep and boost fluctuates.. And I need to fix the problem. Morris at midnight atl.. Did the tune and stretch aka cadien built the motor. The car made 530 and 397 torque.. But it lasted 2 weeks.. Thats all..
sounds like hes at it agian.

shady ny shop, moves down south and continues the same business practices.

sucks to hear.

you dont know of how many horror storys ive heard of and seen first hand from some of the shops in ny, no limit, nrg tech (omg the worst), midnight and a few others that im not gonna mention at this time.

agian sorry to hear.

stratton.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LowBudgetBEe
i disagree with everything this guy said
Why? Everyone that has problems blames the last person to touch the car.. whether its the tuner or the builder, or both. Unless you provide pics, dyno sheets with AFR readouts and boost plots you can't say ****. I've delt with TONS of kids misshifting, or having stuff fall apart and it cost them motors or cause other problems and they want to blame the last person to deal with it. Thats not how things need to be. Figure out the problem and follow suit. If it was a tuning problems, AFR's would be stupid lean or stupid rich, piston would show scaring on the side as well as the piston walls. It sounds to me like you just blew a headgasket..
Old 12-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if ur looking for a tuner and coming to florida i would go to tampa and have pherable.net tune he's a well know tuner and that saves 6+ hours of driving id stop driving ur car causing more damage and send the motor to a well known shop like laskey

Quick Reply: Brand New Motor Gone