Notices

Brand new motor all ready for Turbo but.........

Old 05-25-2006, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new motor all ready for Turbo but.........

Some advice needed -
Firstly some specs on the motor -

Benson sleeved 83mm B20 block
89mm Benson balanced and micropolished crank
CP 9-1 pistons/rings, Eagle 3/8 rods, ACL bearings
New OEM oil pump, new pick-up, new waterpump
ARP head studs and Cometic head gasket
New SuperTech valves, dual springs and titanium retainers
B16 VTEC head with 3 angle valve job, new seals, surfaced, all done by
PortFlow
CTR intake and exhaust cams, AEM 5 bolt cam gears
New STR fuel rail and new 1000cc RC Injectors
New Blox intake manifold with stock throttle body, sensors and vtec selenoid
Oil pump adaptor with ls/vtec line in place
Distributor with new wires, MSD cap (external coil plug) and spark plugs
New timing belt, harmonic balancer
Brand new alternator
Built by Laskey Racing

At the moment the engines in the car running on the original ecu, its only be started up, not reved past 5 thousand (due to the ecu not being tuned) i didnt want to risk damaging the motor until its tuned with the new ecu propely.

Under my valve cover there is the typical signs of a gasket gone, thick milky colour gundgey stuff ( although theres not sign of coolent mixing with the oil its pure white, theres no white smoke from the exhaust, no bubbles or oil mixing in the radiator), my first thoughts are this cannot be a head gasket as im using a brand new cometic gasket, could it be -

1. Build up of condensation ( i have 2 ports welded into the front of my valve cover and into a catch can and the original breather line (near the oil cap on the valve cover) also directed into a catch can.
The car is kept in a damp garage so im guessing when i start the car, run it for a bit then turn it off, i then put it back into the garage, is this dampness being led into the valve cover, causing the white milky gundge???

2. Could there be too much crankcase pressure, i have no additional lines running from the block to relieve the pressure, just the valve cover lines, should i run the lines from the block aswell?? Are the ones i have at the moment sufficient?

Another small problem is that i have a little oil leak (typical place for b series engines) just above the engine code stamp, where the block meets the head, the oil is pristine clean oil, no mixing at all. when i rev the engine and keep it at 'x' amount of revs, more oil very slowly leaks out.
I havent replaces all my seals, gaskets as this is a brand new long block, it dosent look to be the cam seal, dizzy e.t.c
Im probs going to replace these anyways to make sure, it also leave me to believe that maybe the crankcase pressure is too much, causing it to force the oil out??? maybe im wrong??

When running the motor sounds sweet, not unusual sounds nothing, sounds perfect, what could my problems be.
Would greatly appreciate some answers.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brand new motor all ready for Turbo but......... (B20VTI)

cometic head gaskets are garbage, I wouldn't be surprised if it's blown. OEM head gasket, can't beat it.....you also should relieve crank case pressure from behind the block