Notices

Braille light weight racing battery...GARBAGE

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Braille light weight racing battery...GARBAGE

I put this in the FI section cause I know space is an issue with boosted cars. Do not buy one of these batteries for street use. PERIOD. They do NOT hold enough of a charge to start a street car with an alarm. Brand new the battery is killer but after time loses it's starting power even with a 2amp trickle charge from time to time like the manufacturer reccomends. I'm seriosly bummed as the warranty just ran out a couiple of months ago leaving me with a 200 dollar paper weight..
Old 06-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Braille light weight racing battery...GARBAGE (Mr.Death)

Why would you pay $200 for a street car battery?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:39 PM

which model?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Braille light weight racing battery...GARBAGE (NJIN BUILDR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NJIN BUILDR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why would you pay $200 for a street car battery?</TD></TR></TABLE>Thats what they cost around these parts. I don't have enough room under the hood for a "normal" battery leaving me to buy the light weight small alternative. Also I did not want to relocate in the trunk.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

chad(underpressure02) also has one of these junk *** batterys. the thing is brand new and doenst hold a charge... his isnt even a daily driver either, its a track car.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Braille light weight racing battery...GARBAGE (dturbocivic)

I have yet to see a decent one of these half size race batteries... I know of 2 right now that are junk, held a charge for a few weeks and then suddenly one day they were dead. Trickle charged for days and nothing... dead cells on both when tested.

This was on a track/ street car that was only driven maybe 2 times a week at most on the weekends... other than that, sat in garage. One we tried putting the battery on an automatic trickle charger, still did not help.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Braille light weight racing battery...GARBAGE (twkdCD595)

fwiw, deka is the parent battery of braille. here is the cost of the deka, http://www.bigcrank.com/motorc...ETX14
Old 06-26-2007, 09:47 AM
New User

I have one also and took it out this year, wouldnt hold the charge . A friend who has a street car runs it fine which is weird.

I am selling it $100 plus shipping
Old 06-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostfed.com)

I've got a buddy club sitting on the shelf. After a few months it started to show signs of swelling which the battery experts tell me is a sign it is on the way out. I could put a full charge on it but if I didn't drive the car everyday it would start to get weak. If you leave it in teh garage for a weeks time it wouldnt even start the car. Cost me $125 and now I'm back on the acura $70 one.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sp00led)

shoulda went to wall mart 36.99 doggy !!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sucks to hear

i've had a nrg cell from marcus over at heel toe for almost 2 years.. havent had any problems.. i didnt drive the car for 6 mo and i just put a 2amp trickle charge on it for a day and havent had any problems

i dont have an alarm though. that might be why
Old 06-26-2007, 11:31 AM

I'm using a 19.99$ lawnmower battery, about half the size of a normal honda civic battery. It starts the car without a problem after sitting for 6 months over the winters.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99blusi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blusi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm using a 19.99$ lawnmower battery, about half the size of a normal honda civic battery. It starts the car without a problem after sitting for 6 months over the winters.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep walmart everstart tractor battery. ive been using them for a while now. no problems at all in the winer starting and ive driven over 10 miles with no alternator when the belt snapped on me.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Re: (CoreyR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoreyR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yep walmart everstart tractor battery. ive been using them for a while now. no problems at all in the winer starting and ive driven over 10 miles with no alternator when the belt snapped on me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

have a model number???

picture?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have one also and took it out this year, wouldnt hold the charge . A friend who has a street car runs it fine which is weird.

I am selling it $100 plus shipping </TD></TR></TABLE>

y would u wanna sell a battery to someone else when it wont hold charge? and for a $100 for that matter, wow! who wants one!!
Old 06-26-2007, 12:48 PM
New User

Default Re: (bnut510)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bnut510 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

y would u wanna sell a battery to someone else when it wont hold charge? and for a $100 for that matter, wow! who wants one!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had a charging issue which is now fixed. It wasn't holding a charge with this battery, an Autozone battery, an Optima Yellow etc etc. Now that has been resolved. I have this battery sitting here if someone wanted it for $100 then buy it, if you don't then don't
Old 06-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Braille light weight racing battery...GARBAGE (dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">chad(underpressure02) also has one of these junk *** batterys. the thing is brand new and doenst hold a charge... his isnt even a daily driver either, its a track car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I bought the deka battery b/c it is the same battery but I only paid like 40 bucks for it. I first tried their "race battery" which would not even crank over my car. I then got the street battery and that will start it but after cranking it a few times it dies and I need to charge it to start it. The other weird thing is deka rates these batteries a lot lower then Braille in CCA. When I spoke with the guy at DEKA he said he never heard of anyone doing something to the battery after it is sold to make more CCA but I guess anything is possible. I am taking my battery out and putting the stock honda battery back in. I could use the weight also.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some of these small batteries require a higher voltage for trickle charging than most trickle charges produce. They need something like 15.5 volts before the cells will take a charge.

I've been running the same T1R alarm backup 12volt battery as my main battery for daily driving for 4 years now, I've been autocrossing with it for 3 years (several starts per day, probably 15-20 during an event, and not much charging time in between), and the only time its let me down is when I leave the lights on. That kills the battery in less than 1 hour.

When it sits for extended periods all I do is haul out my "modified" battery charger (output of about 16 volts) and charge for 3-4 hours at about 4 amps, and the car starts right up, and as long as I drive the car at least 2-3 times er month, the battery stays charged.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (agrn93ls)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agrn93ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

have a model number???

picture?</TD></TR></TABLE>

go to walmart battery section, cant miss them

Old 06-26-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: (CoreyR)

thanks
Old 06-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Braille light weight racing battery...GARBAGE (under_boost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by under_boost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fwiw, deka is the parent battery of braille. here is the cost of the deka, http://www.bigcrank.com/motorc...ETX14</TD></TR></TABLE>I run the ETX-14 in my street car.. I only had a problem when i didn't drive it for 3 days.. But i charged it and it as been good for 3 weeks of daily driver use measured at 558 CCA
Old 06-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I run a small Hawker odyssey battery. I think the model was 545 or something. very small. sealed gel battery. Holds a charge fine even over winter. Heck, starts the car fine in negative degrees too up in what you guys call, igloo land. lol.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is the exact one I got, from these guys.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-o....html

Drycell Battery
12 Volt
12 Ah @ 10hr rate
185 CCA
545 Cranking Amps for 5 Seconds
18 Minute Reserve Capacity
Cycle life @ 77° F 400 at 100% DOD
-40° F to 140° F Temperature Range

Features:
12 Year design life and 6 to 10 year service life
99.9% pure lead providing minimal plate corrosion
Explosion proof
Corrosion proof
2 to 3 times the cranking power of equilivant size battery
Spill and leak proof
Superior vibration resistance
Fully Charged out of the box
When fully charged can be stored for up to 2 years at 77° F
May be installed on its sides at any angle without sacrificing performance attributes
Military grade version of the Hawker Genesis
2 Year Full Powersports Warranty
Made in the USA
Old 06-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Braille light weight racing battery...GARBAGE (Tchleung)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I spoke with the guy at DEKA he said he never heard of anyone doing something to the battery after it is sold to make more CCA but I guess anything is possible. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Quite frankly thats impossible as the internal battery construction determines the CCA.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd just stop being fucken lazy and buy a big dry cell like optima and put it in the trunk.

Quick Reply: Braille light weight racing battery...GARBAGE