Notices

BOV PROBLEM : sounds like turbo surge???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOV PROBLEM : sounds like turbo surge???

I got my blitz bov hooked up to my GE vaccum manifold and that is hooked up to a tee off the brake booster line... when the engine is under no load I put my hand infront of bov and it lets out a little bit of air (under load im only running about 5 psi, its not tuned quite yet soo im playing it safe) But when i do a second gear pull the turbo sounds like its surging cool sound and all but its def not good... New rebuilt turbo
o and bov adjuster screw is all the way backed out......
any ideas please post im kinda lost
Old 11-25-2005, 11:52 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: BOV PROBLEM : sounds like turbo surge??? (R6E6I6D)

did you drill the hole out in the vacuum manifold?
Old 11-26-2005, 07:50 AM

Default Re: BOV PROBLEM : sounds like turbo surge??? (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you drill the hole out in the vacuum manifold?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I still cant figure it out i figited with it a bit more and still same thing.... please help
Old 11-26-2005, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the bov actually blowing off? is the bov "fluttering" causing the surging sound or is it coming from the turbo itself?

i know the hks bov "flutters" under low boost conditions which is normal so maybe thats what you are running into? i dunno just a thought.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Re: BOV PROBLEM : sounds like turbo surge??? (dpetro1)

i can feel air escaping from the bov its self but It definatly sounds like compressor surge.. The HKS does sound like surge but... much quieter
Old 11-26-2005, 01:51 PM

horchata
Old 11-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you try playing with the screw or just leave it all the way backed out? Try tightening it.

Also, there are no leaks where the bov is welded to the charge pipe right? No holes in the vacuum lines going to the BOV?

any weird idle issues? high idle?
Old 11-26-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: (turbotime)

idle is fine and i filed the flange soo when it was welded there would be no gap, made sure of this but the vaccum lines are new.. there could be a small hole in them... I will check just to make sure... If i were to tihghten it wouldnt it create more preload on the bov spring?? making it harder to open?
Old 11-26-2005, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (R6E6I6D)

well you say you can feel air coming out, so im assuming you are doing this while the car is parked in neutral and you are revving it from inside the engine bay?

the bov doesnt need to blow off while in neutral, even though that doesnt really explain the surging sound. how does it sound when your driving around and boosting in gear?
Old 11-26-2005, 11:55 PM

Default Re: (dpetro1)

sounds like compressor surge (chaa chaa chaa chaa) &lt;- u know what i mean... doesnt sound like a clean pssshhhh, the bov still releases air when the engine isnt under a load just not nearly as much .... I checked the vaccum lines with a mightyvac they were brandnew and figured as soo had no holes... I didnt add anypreload on the bov spring(adjuster screw) cause i figured that would cause the valve to seat better and be harder to open. Still the turbo surges and I cant figure it out... Is placement of the bov a key part??? cause my buddys supra has it right near the FMIC and mine is on the colc pipes about 2 feet away from the IC, I figured this wouldnt make a difference as long as it releases built pressure.
Help me out still lost as to why this is going on
Old 11-27-2005, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wait so where is your BOV mounted exactly? like 2 ft post-intercooler? If so that will work fine.

Its a longshot, but try hooking the BOV up to a diff vac source. I know it sounds crazy but it just may work. Also, is the hose your using for vac to BOV large enough?

Sorry at this point im just pitching ideas. I know i tried hooking my BOV to the pcv port on the IM and i got compressor surge... hooked it up to a nipple on the back of the IM and now its perfect. So yeah, maybe try a diff vac source? I run only my wastegate off the brake booster... i try to give each component its own vac source.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:33 AM

I've got a greddy rs and it was making the same sound.I turned the bov the opposite way and it made the sound it was supposed to.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: (lsturbocivic4do)

huh?? It is mounted soo that it blows off almost directly into the back of my headlights.. turning it around would require longer vac line and it would have a lower clearence plus taking it all back out would suck but thanks... any reason why this would help&gt;???
wait on my b20 im running a 97 LS mani and I hear thats the best.... anyway on the from of it there is a large port for the pcv valve to hook up to.. and u are saying a vaccum sorce of that size is actully a bad thing.. 2marro mourn i will get another vac line soo that it has a bit mroe slack I tried making it as shot as possible (tight across intercooler piping)..
Old 11-28-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: (R6E6I6D)

When I had my bov facing down toward my headlights it chattered.All I did was face away from headlight pointing upward and it fixed it.May be it's the way the air comes out the bov.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: (lsturbocivic4do)

hrm i searched that to find out if anyone had a similar problem and it looks like its just u and me... I got a Brand new (longer) length of black silicon hose from napa and I made sure it had a bit more slack in it and still it has a slight chatter... I even removed the elbow type fitting on the back of the blitz and replaced it with a 1/8" npt fitting so its a straight shot into the BOV i cant figure it out... any suggestions.&gt;??
Old 11-28-2005, 11:18 PM

BUMP for help friends
Old 11-29-2005, 06:02 PM

wassassasasa
Old 05-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R6E6I6D &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got my blitz bov hooked up to my GE vaccum manifold and that is hooked up to a tee off the brake booster line... when the engine is under no load I put my hand infront of bov and it lets out a little bit of air (under load im only running about 5 psi, its not tuned quite yet soo im playing it safe) But when i do a second gear pull the turbo sounds like its surging cool sound and all but its def not good... New rebuilt turbo
o and bov adjuster screw is all the way backed out......
any ideas please post im kinda lost</TD></TR></TABLE>

bump...because i'm having the same problem....
Old 07-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BOV PROBLEM : sounds like turbo surge??? (dannydos)

bump for info!