Notices

Boosting my b18c5, basically pieced everything together, but I wan't soem opinions from you guys, wh

Old 07-09-2006, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosting my b18c5, basically pieced everything together, but I wan't some opinions from you guys, wh

Stock internals B18c5 motor to be ran at @ 5psi
obd1 ecu chipsocketed and chipped (new program to be burned when boosted)

please let me know if I need anything else to complete this turbo kit, and please share opinions on the products I picked out, mainly the down pipe and the wastegate/boost controller package, I know ssautoshit and xspower, but I wasn’t sure if those parts by them are ok.

Also, I’m sure a couple of these pieces don’t include bolts/gaskets, etc. Wanna’ let me know if you don’t mind.

I know what I’m gonna’ get myself into, I’ve read thoroughly on this subject, I’m just looking for some insight and not to be flamed. Thanks…

Some replies/ insight would be greatly appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

$58 (oil feed line kit)

$230 (manifold)

$275 (garrett t3 turbo)

$257 (2.5" piping w/bov flange, bov, FMIC,(will upgrade to a legit greddy bov later)

$124 (downpipe w/o2 bung, flexpipe)

$128 (wastegate and boost controller(just comes with it,so why not have it for future reference))

$150 (450cc injectors)

missing map link taken off

Modified by Naudlee at 1:38 PM 7/9/2006

Modified by Naudlee at 2:50 PM 7/9/2006

Modified by Naudlee at 5:15 PM 7/9/2006
Old 07-09-2006, 08:56 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Boosting my b18c5, basically pieced everything together, but I wan't some opinions from you guys

didnt look at the items, but, if you are staying 5 psi, there is no need for a controller, and if you are chipping an ecu you dont need a missing link.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:37 PM

alright, thanks for the info!
Old 07-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boosting my b18c5, basically pieced everything together, but I wan't some opinions from you guys

how much money are you willing to spend first of all.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:17 PM

man, this setup is full of holes!

THose injectors look sketchy and over priced. And as far as i know RC dosent make 450cc injectors. They Make 310, 440, 550...etc etc. And if those are dsm injectors they are WAYYY over priced.

The mani and DP don't look that good either. I would get a drag mani and dp. at least those will fit.

...you need to read more about what other people are using on their setups. But for 5psi, you shouldnt blow anything up.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:51 PM

alright, this is what Ilike to hear, I need you guys criticism... keep it coming, looking to spend around a grand
Old 07-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Naudlee)

honestly, a $1k turbo kit will not be all that great, and I highly doubt that turbo is a legit garrett for $275. you can piece together a nice turbo kit by gradually buying parts like me. Also, you have an ITR or at least the motor so don't put **** products on a rare badass car/ motor. Bad idea buddy!
Old 07-09-2006, 04:17 PM

its a small *** garret t3 turbo, with warranty aswell, no ssautoshit/xscrap, only legit. I'm not looking to boost the hell out of it, I'm tryign to keep it safe/lowkey/reliable. Also, can you change internally gated turbos to work w/ external wastegates, just wondering?
Old 07-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All that stuff will just leave you with headaches.

Buy a used kit. What are you going to do for an oil drain? How are you going to cut that intercooler piping (because it won't fit). There's a lot of stuff that you still need. Don't buy new if you have under a grand.

Look for USED parts.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Snafubmx234)

Everything looks fine to me. You will run into some issues but looks like you got great deals and spent the money where it should be spent enjoy
Old 07-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93CX)

The stuff may work. However, IMO I'd rather not chance it and spend the money on a quality parts rather than the knockoff stuff. Especially on a C5. You get what you pay for. I still don't understand how they can get away with advertising a "Greddy style" BOV, yet use pics of the actual product. Anyway it's your money.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:48 PM

ok, intercooler piping, etc is fine, mani is fine, turbo is fine, its just the bov, wastegate, and downpipe are sketch? I haven't purchased anythign yet, I was just posting this as an idea of **** I've picked through. I'm looking for used parts aswell,I made a post in marketplace for FI. Keep it coming... all the insight is appreciated!
Old 07-09-2006, 09:46 PM

seeing as teh turbo is oiland water cooled, is the water internal itself or is there a line for it like the oil lines, confused on that one?
Old 07-10-2006, 02:23 PM

bump
Old 07-10-2006, 03:04 PM

no, the water isn't internal. if you were to actually to water cool it, you'd connect a coolant line to it....its not COMPLETELY neccessary
Old 07-10-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Re: (stewie8apie)

also, you don't need the wastegate or boost controller because the turbo is internally gated. however, it's set at ~7psi which is not the 5psi you wanted. honestly, i'd just get a different turbo, i've never been a fan of "rebuilt" turbo's because you cannot know for sure if it was rebuilt correctly or with new parts.

as for the dp, do you know for sure that your turbo has a 5 bolt exhaust side? otherwise, that dp will not work. i cant see the mani, but i'd bet that it's not made to fit the dp you want. purchase a dp and manifold at the same time from the same company, otherwise you'll have loads of headaches unless you know how to weld and are able to make it work. if you're looking for decently priced mani's and dp's check out like spoolinperformance.com or something like that. i'd try to stay away from ebay.

like someone else said, u are gonna have tons of problems getting that fmic and the piping to work right. it looks like the whole setup could be somewhat of a headache just because of fitment issues alone.

yeah, don't buy those injectors either. RC doesn't make 450cc's, so either the seller doesn't know what he's talking about...or he got the only ones that RC ever made. just get some legit RC injectors, or DSM's. however, if you get the dsm's you'll need a resistor box as well.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:03 PM

alright, thanks, cleared up a few issues of mine. As far as an internally wastegated turbo, theres no way to change it to work with an external wastegate? Whats your reccommendation for a turbo then, all the ones I've been looking at are internally gated, a good priced, good value one, of course. As far as the IC piping goes, that was just an example, aren't you goign to have fitment issues eitherway when buying a IC piping kit? And lastly I realized the dp and mani might not work, I'm looking for a package of the two and possibly a snail aswell, onhere and HMT. Keep the words of wisdom coming,a ny advice/help is cool with me! thanks, this is a learnign experience for sure...
Old 07-10-2006, 07:11 PM

Default Re: (stewie8apie)

Let me just say right now taht $275 for that turbo that will need a rebuild soon is a complete rip. I paid $200 for a factory-rebuilt Garrett T3. Post a wtb ad on craigslist or something and you'll find one cheaper. I think you can buy that turbo wtihout the internal wastegate (not that it matters, you can take it off) rebuilt for about $300 before shipping.

For the oil line kit, I think you need a -3 line not a -4. But probably should ask someone else. I'm using a -3.

For the ic setup, I think something shady is going on there. It's too cheap. But then again, the $70 shipping is a rip and is making up for it. I think the Greddy RS bov is something like $162 for wholeseller cost. So to offer that thing for $187 sounds like it might not be legit or something..I don't know. All the typo's in the listing don't really boost my confidence. For the piping, I ordered all my charge pipes from JCWhitney and cut them myself with the saws-all or whatever that tool is called. Probably would use an air hacksaw next time around. I still have all the piping part numbers if you want, cost me about $80 I think for all turbo piping. Precut would be much less hassle, but I don't know that I trust precut from there. Don't know tho, never tried it.

Downpipe is 3", so might not clear your AC. On my integra, anything larger than a 2.5 won't clear the compressor.

Wastegate is too expensive. You don't need a boost controller, and since the wg is generic, you should be able to pick one up for about $50-75. I bought one from a kid locally for $50, works better than my old Turbonetics Evolution. Again, put an ad on craigslist or something similar, or look in the HT classifieds. Sorry to keep talking about craigslist, but that's where I get tons of cheap parts.

Everyone else already covered this...but stay away from those injectors.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:17 PM

alright injectors are gone, I don't even plan on getting them atthe moment for on;y running 5pounds of boost. I think the greddy bov is a fake they show alegit one but it can't be true. I heard ebay piping and IC really can't go wrong, I just guess I gotta' find the right kit. I'll redo what I posted inthe first post as alist and you lemme' know whatyou guys think. I realized I'll be using a 2.5" downpipe anyways, 2.5" exhausta nyways for now, 5pounds won't need the upgrade to larger exhaust piping right now anyways. Anyone have reccommendations on the snail itself, or wanna' send me towards one or sell me theirs, haha?

I've been scouring my local craigslist fyi, not turning up much. THANKS!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:22 PM

Also..the manifold link didn't work for me. I found a drag turbo manifold on Ebay for $115, $18 shipping. Needed one bolt-hole helicoiled. Got that done for free by a friend (or you can do it yourself) and I think the manifolds are a lot higher quality than the generic ebay ones. I'd get a Drag/Revhard/Greddy manifold. There's probably others that would work though as well. Here's the problem I see. Depending on the type of manifold, it's like some of them hold the turbo higher than others, so your downpipe may or may not fit. I know this sounds almost flaky since it's the ultra-cheap way, but I'd almost just buy a 5-bolt flange for $15 or whatever, and have a 2.5" pipe cut,bent, and welded by a hole in the wall muffler shop for really cheap. If you measure it right it won't be an issue. Or you can buy that one and just cut it if you have to and have a muffler shop fix it for you so it fits after it's on the car.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:24 PM

Yea for craigslist I just posted an ad for "Anyone selling a T3 Turbo?" and then specified in the acual ad that it had to have a 5-bolt exhaust side. I probably wouldn't pay more than about $125 for a used turbo that isn't a fresh rebuild.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:29 PM

Ok, not to rain on the parade or anything like that. But the first time I pieced together a kit and didn't know what I was doing I spent day after day wasting time trying to get stuff to fit and going to shops to have things machined or buying missing parts, ,etc. If this is your first time, I'd really recommend getting a brand name kit like Greddy, and even a complete used one over the ebay stuff. Once you've installed a turbo once, then you can do the pieced-together thing. I just don't think in the end it'll be worth it when you end up hunting all over the place for parts that are missing. I'd post an ad asking if anyone is selling a greddy turbo kit. Someone was selling a complete T3 kit here for about 1400. I'd say try to talk them down to more like 1200. My friends bought some greddy T3 kits for 1800 on ebay.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:41 PM

alright, i believe I'm purchasing a garrett t3 turbo, internally gated at 5.5psi, perfect for me for now, and a custom b-series mani thats been braced to hell. HE says its a 3 bolt flange for downpipe, where would the best place be to find a 2.5" 3 bolt downpipe? Didn't greddy make this exact sized one? Hitme back with soem details or help on finding that,t hanks!!!
Old 07-10-2006, 10:43 PM

that dp wont be ac compatible and will not fit the manifold you're looking to purchase- I GUARANTEE IT
Old 07-11-2006, 11:00 AM

bump

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boosting my b18c5, basically pieced everything together, but I wan't soem opinions from you guys, wh