Boostedjd's Prospective GS-R turbocharger build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Boostedjd's Prospective GS-R turbocharger build thread

Autometer makes this hut its only in black and my interior is grey

glowshift makes this that comes in grey but id need a third gauge

but thinking his might be my best bet, keep it as stock looking as possible and no real cutting of the dash ( i dont think) who needs a clock anyway. Anyone ran this?

Old 06-06-2019, 06:24 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedjd
Want to obviously keep the stock one for the ecu to read.
The stock ECU doesn't have an oil pressure input - the stock sensor only triggers the dummy light.

I'm using a GlowShift triple pod A-pillar. The color match is decent, and the fit was ok. The GlowShift pod does match my interior color decently, but it is painted and not molded in this color - if you're not careful, you can scratch the paint off and see the black plastic underneath. It didn't fit over my stock trim piece very well, so I ended up cutting my stock trim piece and only keeping the portion that goes over the door, and enough length to tuck behind the GlowShift pod. I kind of hate that I had to cut a good piece of ineterior trim, but oh well. The screws and caps that came with it sucked, so I threw those away and just opted to use a single interior Honda screw to hold the pod to the A-pillar.

I looked at the Ortiz stuff, but decided to give the cheaper GlowShift pod a try first. I'm happy enough with it for now.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

^^ I would opt for any other mounting locations if I cared about interior trim stuff, so the clock style holders would be my direction. I only have the single pillar pod, just for boost guage. I'm considering a panel where my stereo is just because I really don't listen to the radio in my civic, and another member here has a badass setup in that area of the dash that looks easy enough for even me to follow.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

***Not my picture*** this is JunVillaruz's hatch.. Awesome guage/switch panel setup.

Only thing I'd have to see about relocating would be my climate control unit. All I use is the heater and the slider switch hasn't worked in a couple years. I have to manually set the valve under the hood so, eh, and i have no A/C components to speak of.. I short, the cabin fan is all I have to worry about turning on. Maybe I can just wire that to the new switch panel..

Anyhow, that's a cool idea to follow!
Old 06-06-2019, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

One of the best decisions I made was selling all my AEM gauges and buying an Aim MXL digital dash that does everything all in one. I know it was a little pricey but adding up the cost of pillars and a bunch of gauges was basically just as expensive.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:57 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
One of the best decisions I made was selling all my AEM gauges and buying an Aim MXL digital dash that does everything all in one. I know it was a little pricey but adding up the cost of pillars and a bunch of gauges was basically just as expensive.
Co-sign
Old 06-06-2019, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just looked that up.. It's got a price tag to it but, Mother of God is it sexy!!
Old 06-06-2019, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Just looked that up.. It's got a price tag to it but, Mother of God is it sexy!!
Yeah it is a little pricey but at the time I had bought like 4 aem digital gauges and spent like 600 plus and then finding places for all of them LOL.

This thing does everything and was well worth it.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That glowshift 3 gauge mounts on top of your oe pillar? Seems kinda janky i guess. I was thinking it was a replacement pillar. Ya those digital dashs are sweet but ya that price tag is heafty. Idk if im sold on digital stuff tho, i like the analog style stuff for the most part. Boost gauge is 50 and aem uego is 150 ig thats all i run so maybe leaning toward that ortiz one, for now at least. Can always upgrade later but moneys running low with all my other hobbies lol.
Also ran into an issue w tge throttle body. Got a 70mm skunk2 pro and went to put in the tps and it doesnt fit, its too deep. If my measurements are correct, to the screw on the skunk2 is .200 in, and my tps is .280 deep. I emailed tech support so guess well see. Only thing i can imagine is it being a jdm motor instead of usdm but would imagine theyd all be t he same to keep costs low.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:37 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Yeah it was supposed to mount over the original trim and just screw into it. It was too bulky when out over the original trim, which why I cut the trim piece and ran a screw through the GlowShift pod directly into the metal of the pillar. Not the cleanest solution but it works for me.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those must have been some HELLA expensive gauges you had!
Old 06-16-2019, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by linkdeezie
4 AEM digital gauges are going to set you back about $600 bucks, I also had the pillar pod and gauge cluster pod.

I got the Aim XML for 900 dollars but yeah if I buy a bunch of Auto Zone specials I’m sure it would be pretty cheap.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by linkdeezie
Even Autometer "Stepper" motor gauges will cost around $250 each... and that brand is a "middle-of-the-road" product. Top brands like Defi, GReddy, HKS etc. are even more costly. Way back when, quality gauges were the only choice for monitoring engine vitals. Now, companies like AiM, RacePak, and AEM offer quality alternatives at comparable prices... thank God.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got my tubrosmart boost gauge, turbosmart manual boost controller, and radiator mount kit. About the only things i have left is the skunk 2 megapower rr exhaust, aem uego, and gauge pod.
Emailed skunk2 anout this tps sensor and still no word back so guess ill have to call or something. Every video i look up everyone says it just drops right in but

it cleary sits to far out. So not sure what to do besides call and see unless anyone else has ran into this issue.
Have mY work car show this Thursday then i think im about out of excuses to not start putting this in lol.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish you the best of luck trying to get ANY resolve from Skunk2 customer service. I use and love their products but despise their customer service...
Old 06-19-2019, 08:30 PM

I wish you the best of luck trying to get ANY resolve from Skunk2 customer service. I use and love their products but despise their customer service...
W/oRD!!!
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2019, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

3 emails later and 2 weeks and they respond by telling me to call.. lol.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:11 PM

In between waiting for email responses. calling wasn't an option for you in the meantime?
Old 06-30-2019, 04:08 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

calling them is always my first thing to do. i called them in the past for a few things and my experience was fine.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You'll not like the customer service any more when you call either. I'd rather drag my genitalia through a mile of broken glass than deal with their customer service..
Old 07-01-2019, 04:39 PM

You'll not like the customer service any more when you call either. I'd rather drag my genitalia through a mile of broken glass than deal with their customer service..
It's probably changed since Brian Nichols left for Goddard. Not too surprising. Although I haven't had to contact customer service there in a few years.. who knows what skinny-jeaned, bearded morons took over the phones now.
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-02-2019, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
It's probably changed since Brian Nichols left for Goddard. Not too surprising. Although I haven't had to contact customer service there in a few years.. who knows what skinny-jeaned, bearded morons took over the phones now.

This has been Junk2 as a whole Company for years. Since they started putting "Bounties" on people.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sikefcrx89
Since they started putting "Bounties" on people.
Ok.. You gotta explain this one...
Old 07-02-2019, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Calling is an option obviously but im flat rate so any time im not turning a wrench im not getting paid. And I've been so busy with my other hobbies and aide work i havent even touched it in the past 2 weeks anyway.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:07 PM

Ok.. You gotta explain this one...
Nope. Too long of a tale from 2012. Glad its over. Search via Google for Skunk2 Bounty. I remember that ****, and was glad it was over.

Quick Reply: Boostedjd's Prospective GS-R turbocharger build thread