Notices

boosted hatches with typeR motors suck??

Old 03-03-2004, 03:19 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boosted hatches with typeR motors suck??

a friend of mine the other day was telling me that a shop (wont reveal any names) said that hatches with typeR motors ran like crap when boosted. now... i dont see how a hatch would run like crap with a boosted type R motor. maybe it wouldnt get traction for shiznit... but run like crap? pshh yeah. if that is true... someone tell me how a tuned typeR motor boosted hatch would not be a potential horsepower setup.

in case you don't know how to comprehend simple english...
this thread isnt about WHY typeR motors suck, HOW they suck, or IF they suck. i want other valid opinions about why they DONT suck. im trying to prove a point to a friend who believes that a ITR motor is better for all motor and crappy when boosted.

Modified by SIK IN DA HED at 1:38 PM 3/4/2004
Old 03-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: boosted hatches with typeR motors suck?? (SIK IN DA HED)

As soon as an elite ITR motor goes into a hatch shell, special JDM sensors cause the motor to run in limp mode. When boost is applied this phenomenon is multiplied exponentialy to the boost level.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:32 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

It will run like crap....if you have two of the injectors unplugged. Whoever told you that is an idiot. I had someone at a "shop" once tell me that it's a horrible idea to boost any VTEC motor.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

y would it be bad? there are many boosted Rs on h-t and they run pretty damn good.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:46 PM

Default Re: (SoHc10Lbs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoHc10Lbs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">y would it be bad? there are many boosted Rs on h-t and they run pretty damn good. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeap!!
Old 03-03-2004, 04:00 PM

Default Re: (FOrSfEd)

well, I'll just say this... the idea of boosting an ITR motor is indeed somewhat silly. The reason you buy a B18C5 (not the ITR vehicle, but the engine) is because its one of the best naturally aspirated engines ever.

But most of the things that make the ITR such a special motor are precisely what you dont want when turbocharging an engine. Two things specifically are the high compression and the cams.

The high compression goes without saying, it is not turbo friendly.

ITR cams also have a greater overlap than any of the other vtec cams. Now this is great for an NA setup, but on turbocharged vehicles overlap is the least desired cam specification.

Now these two things by no means make a turbocharged "R" "crap" but I have always felt that turbocahrging a Type R takes away from why you bought an ITR in the first place.

But then again, no Honda was meant to be turbocharged.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:05 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why is this even a thread?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AngelTeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AngelTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, I'll just say this... the idea of boosting an ITR motor is indeed somewhat silly. The reason you buy a B18C5 (not the ITR vehicle, but the engine) is because its one of the best naturally aspirated engines ever.

But most of the things that make the ITR such a special motor are precisely what you dont want when turbocharging an engine. Two things specifically are the high compression and the cams.

The high compression goes without saying, it is not turbo friendly.

ITR cams also have a greater overlap than any of the other vtec cams. Now this is great for an NA setup, but on turbocharged vehicles overlap is the least desired cam specification.

Now these two things by no means make a turbocharged "R" "crap" but I have always felt that turbocahrging a Type R takes away from why you bought an ITR in the first place.

But then again, no Honda was meant to be turbocharged.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a whole lot of ignorance in one post. Aside from the high factory compression, tell me again why an ITR changeover is BAD for booost?

Oh you say the cams are the least desired profiles? Tell that to Boostfed.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HybridKOOP)

I think he meant to say that all that stuff is why he would buy an R.

For example, if I were to buy a R motor, it wouldn't be for the high compression or the bigger cams...it'd be so I could **** in it....and that's not all!!!

Old 03-03-2004, 05:29 PM

Default Re: (AngelTeg)

A boosted c5 isn't bad, but I agree with Angel. Its a waste of money for the gain. A c1 block, b16 head and some porting and your right up there with your itr for half the cost....thats why I went with that set up. itr's are more hype than performance. Wow, $2k more for 20 more hp on a na setup
Old 03-03-2004, 05:29 PM

Default Re: boosted hatches with typeR motors suck?? (Dr Pooface)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dr Pooface &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">special JDM sensors cause the motor to run in limp mode. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahah!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boosted hatches with typeR motors suck?? (MaxSterling)

Nice avatar MaxSterling.... I watch that series too.

Now back to the post. A c1 swap goes for about $3200 a itr's go for about $4200. With the itr you get a lsd and a better im along with a better flowing head. I don't think there is anything at all wrong with running boost on an itr.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boosted hatches with typeR motors suck?? (TrueNorthStar)

More likelly a ricer rumor
A friend told me he once went to a local shop and some guy working there told him that his DOHC ZC had Vtec and that all honda engines had them and he didnt need turbo.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:53 PM

Default Re: boosted hatches with typeR motors suck?? (SOHCV-TechRider)

for wasting the two minutes to read this post
Old 03-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boosted hatches with typeR motors suck?? (12 oz.)

in before the (should be) lock....

This post is stupid.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boosted hatches with typeR motors suck?? (Johnyquest)

Hmmmmm...are you for real with this SIK? I hope not.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIK IN DA HED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a friend of mine the other day was telling me that a shop (wont reveal any names) said that hatches with typeR motors ran like crap when boosted. now... i dont see how a hatch would run like crap with a boosted type R motor. maybe it wouldnt get traction for shiznit... but run like crap? pshh yeah. if that is true... someone tell me how a tuned typeR motor boosted hatch would not be a potential horsepower setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

itr out of all b series motors would make the most hp.. ehh.. because of higher compression, everything will respond better and maker more hp.. one good combination in my opinoin is gsr block + itr head = lower compression + high revs.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boosted hatches with typeR motors suck?? (vtec.dc2)

they need to take that dick out their ear...it is causing them to sound stupid
any honda motor can be boosted and run good. Good thing you didnt say the shop name, because they would probably get some unknown callers there
Old 03-04-2004, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIK IN DA HED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a friend of mine the other day was telling me that a shop (wont reveal any names) said that hatches with typeR motors ran like crap when boosted. now... i dont see how a hatch would run like crap with a boosted type R motor. maybe it wouldnt get traction for shiznit... but run like crap? pshh yeah. if that is true... someone tell me how a tuned typeR motor boosted hatch would not be a potential horsepower setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i can't believe you have 9000 posts
Old 03-04-2004, 05:42 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: boosted hatches with typeR motors suck?? (pissedoffsol)

haha thats what i was thinking! hes been a member for 1168 days. is there a ricer forum i dont know about on this board?
Old 03-04-2004, 10:45 AM
New User

Default Re: boosted hatches with typeR motors suck?? (Muckman)

it was fun watching a few of you talk ****. last time i checked... H-T was a forum full of threads... "stupid" or not. the thread was created out of sarcasm so i can log onto this site and show my friend what other H-T members think. obviously, not only will my opinion be seen with others... he will see how ignorant and bored people are in replying to this thread. got anything else to do but to add senseless replies? probably not from what i've seen.

dont worry about how long ive been here and how many posts i have. worry about yourself. ill keep brushin you off my shoulders.

thanks to everyone who actually participated positively in the thread.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:58 AM

**** I will stay clear of this.

When you hear something stupid it's best to walk away.

Casing point.

ITR motor not good for boost........tell that to Cybernation.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boosted hatches with typeR motors suck?? (CRX T-Si)

I love all the "ITR motors are not built for boost" threads. I have to chime in and say I made 281whp on 7.5psi untuned on my 01 ITR. Motor was 100% stock internally, had a Turbonetics 60-1, Rev hard manifold, 2.5" open DP, and a good old 12:1 FMU w/ stock injectors.
M
Old 03-04-2004, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (XSIintegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XSIintegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A boosted c5 isn't bad, but I agree with Angel. Its a waste of money for the gain. A c1 block, b16 head and some porting and your right up there with your itr for half the cost....thats why I went with that set up. itr's are more hype than performance. Wow, $2k more for 20 more hp on a na setup </TD></TR></TABLE>

i got my jdm R for $4200 shipped.
-11:1 compression(more than 20hp on NA setup)
-larger throttle body
-4.7 final drive
-LSD
-valve train can handle higher RPM
-only cost $1000 more than a b18c1 setup.

and i'm planning on boosting it in the future.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:34 PM
New User

Default Re: boosted hatches with typeR motors suck?? (01ITR#700)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 01ITR#700 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I love all the "ITR motors are not built for boost" threads. I have to chime in and say I made 281whp on 7.5psi untuned on my 01 ITR. Motor was 100% stock internally, had a Turbonetics 60-1, Rev hard manifold, 2.5" open DP, and a good old 12:1 FMU w/ stock injectors.
M</TD></TR></TABLE>

point proven.