Notices

boosted h22 breaking up isssue, EASY FIX???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boosted h22 breaking up isssue, EASY FIX???

so today i just finished my h22 turbo. I went for a ride and if i get it justtt a little gas and drive normal through my gears everything is fine, but as soon as i start to give it WOT it starts to build boost realllll fast it will read about 2-3psi and start to break up, bog, and backfire sometimes... Please let me know some ideas, heres info on the car

95 prelude h22 vtec (h22a1)
Msd ignition with blaster 2 coil
p13 ecu (running stock untill i get tuned this week)
NGK 11 spark plugs
check valve on the map sensor vac. line
t70 turbo
3" open downpipe
CEL Code 41 because my o2 sensor is not plugged in due to no exhaust(open downpipe)
external wastegate with 6psi spring
Stock injectors(i have 450cc to put in when i go get tuned)
Stock fuel pump

Im trying to fix all issues before i go get it tuned
Old 01-06-2008, 07:09 PM

Default Re: boosted h22 breaking up isssue, EASY FIX??? (95boostedh22)

i dont see anything there that adds fuel. are u running an FMU or anything to add fuel and or also retard timing? if not ur gonna blow it up in no time.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:12 PM

Default Re: boosted h22 breaking up isssue, EASY FIX??? (97grnrs)

i forgot to mention....if i pull off one of my intercooler pipes causing the air NOT to go into the motor it will run fine and not bog...

Should i retard my timing a little bit on my distributer for now untill i go get tuned? And what can i do about fuel for now

This is all temporary untill i make it to my appointment running Decent
Old 01-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

uhhhh....if you dont have any fuel upgrades, what the hell did you expect to happen? keep it off boost till you get it tuned.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boosted h22 breaking up isssue, EASY FIX??? (philafelman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philafelman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uhhhh....if you dont have any fuel upgrades, what the hell did you expect to happen? keep it off boost till you get it tuned. </TD></TR></TABLE>
totally agree, NO BOOST until you get it tuned. Boost untuned could cause big problems with your motor.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:13 PM

Default Re: boosted h22 breaking up isssue, EASY FIX??? (JDM90CB7)

pull the wastegate spring so you cant make boost and get a 255lph fuel pump before you get tuned. stop boosting it before its tuned so you dont end up with a blown engine.

what are NGK 11's? u mean bkr7es-11?
Old 01-06-2008, 09:52 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boosted h22 breaking up isssue, EASY FIX??? (dbiker207)

yea do it couple more times without fuel upgrages and proper tune and say good bye to your engine
Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey man i just boosted my 97 prelude with a greddy kit i also am having the same issue with it breaking up also check engine light my suggestion to you would be to purchase a oil catch can to catch the blow by so you engine dosent put to much pressure on your seals and gaskets if you dont get this catch can your oil will become very satchurated and you will have to change your oil every 1000 miles iam having a problem with timing issue i just recently put a after market fly wheel on and there is no mark on the fly wheel so iam just guessing which is really shitty but i came up with an idea if i made a mark on a power steering belt or alternator and lined it up with another mark and brought the number 1 piston to top dead center then i would have somthing to go by but till then iam going with a missing link instead of check valves they basically do the same thing but you have to worry about them blowing off also you need some sort of fmu if your only plan on running 6 to7 psi dont worry about a fuel pump just get around 440 or 450cc injectors like dsm and obdo injector harness very easy install also a resistor box because those injectors will be peak and hold instead of saturated like your stock ones if you have any questions hit me back
Old 01-06-2008, 11:32 PM

Default Re: boosted h22 breaking up isssue, EASY FIX??? (samowen)

^^there is something called a period on your keyboard that id recommend using..^^
so your wanting to know if its an easy fix? what do u think the problem is? u have no added fuel going to the motor...do like was said and get a bigger fuel pump, put on your injectors, get a ems and tune it....
Old 01-07-2008, 01:55 AM

Default Re: boosted h22 breaking up isssue, EASY FIX??? (Peter Brady onlyonweekndz)

im just saying because ive turbo'd plenty hondas before ive gotten tuned and never had this problem

will add injectors and get tuned
Old 01-07-2008, 05:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95boostedh22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im just saying because ive turbo'd plenty hondas before ive gotten tuned and never had this problem

will add injectors and get tuned</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then you got lucky.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:02 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

yea I seriously dought that
Old 01-08-2008, 02:22 PM

Default Re: boosted h22 breaking up isssue, EASY FIX??? (ABK)

ok guys a little more updates....

3" exhaust
o2 sensor connected
removed the msd
gapped the plugs to .28
went to test drive the car and it doesnt break up as it used to... only once it gets higher rpms it will start to bog a little

Anyone think once i put the injectors and tune it will run perfect?
I have an appointment saturday
Old 01-08-2008, 02:36 PM

it will never run perfect untill u get it tuned. quit wasting your time messing with it and GET IT TUNED. end of topic
Old 01-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95boostedh22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone think once i put the injectors and tune it will run perfect?I have an appointment saturday</TD></TR></TABLE>
DUH!
thats what we've been telling you the whole time
Old 01-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you honestly just bolt on a turbo and expect it to run great?? I doubt that you have done this in the past because it doesn't work that way on hondas. And you can't just do bigger injectors unless you redo your fuel map for them. GET IT TUNED.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boosted h22 breaking up isssue, EASY FIX??? (samowen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by samowen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey man i just boosted my 97 prelude with a greddy kit i also am having the same issue with it breaking up also check engine light my suggestion to you would be to purchase a oil catch can to catch the blow by so you engine dosent put to much pressure on your seals and gaskets if you dont get this catch can your oil will become very satchurated and you will have to change your oil every 1000 miles iam having a problem with timing issue i just recently put a after market fly wheel on and there is no mark on the fly wheel so iam just guessing which is really shitty but i came up with an idea if i made a mark on a power steering belt or alternator and lined it up with another mark and brought the number 1 piston to top dead center then i would have somthing to go by but till then iam going with a missing link instead of check valves they basically do the same thing but you have to worry about them blowing off also you need some sort of fmu if your only plan on running 6 to7 psi dont worry about a fuel pump just get around 440 or 450cc injectors like dsm and obdo injector harness very easy install also a resistor box because those injectors will be peak and hold instead of saturated like your stock ones if you have any questions hit me back</TD></TR></TABLE>

OMG. 1998 called....
Old 01-08-2008, 04:41 PM

Default Re: boosted h22 breaking up isssue, EASY FIX??? (Mikey3000)

haha, this thread must be a joke...how the hell did u manage to get a turbo kit on your car....
Old 01-08-2008, 06:43 PM

Default Re: boosted h22 breaking up isssue, EASY FIX??? (Peter Brady onlyonweekndz)

it hasnt been my first time turbocharging a honda aight, the only reason i made this thread was because this is the first time i had this breaking up problem before i got tuned

YES IVE GOTTEN TUNED BEFORE, but before tuning i never had that problem running for couple days with old setups
Old 01-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95boostedh22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it hasnt been my first time turbocharging a honda aight, the only reason i made this thread was because this is the first time i had this breaking up problem before i got tuned

YES IVE GOTTEN TUNED BEFORE, but before tuning i never had that problem running for couple days with old setups</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. Your a moron
2. You havent turbo'd a honda before and not had it break up with no tuning and stock a stock fuel system.
3. You should never think its OK to boost an engine before getting it tuned, the breaking up is bad.

Reason 1 is because of reason 3.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Bro,U need to change your intank fuel pump to a Walbro and on top of that,U will have to add an FMU boost dependent regulator.Thats your popping problem.Its leaning out real bad and also retard your timing.Fix those things if u continue to drive your car.If not,Park it until u dyno it but u still need an upgraded fuel pump befroe u dyno it.The stock pump is not capable of running the volume of fuel u need in the top end bro.Good Luck
Old 01-09-2008, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re:

your problem is turbocharging a car with no fuel management at all. period.

get tuned with real management or go back n/a... fmu's and check valves are junk for the stone ages of f/i, quality management is very easily done these days. it only cost a very marginal amount more to do it right now before you hurt the motor and have to spend serious coin fixing your hack job build.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:29 PM

ecu it dose not have a base map thats why happend to me too
Old 01-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boosted h22 breaking up isssue, EASY FIX??? (mkw1)

look man get a fuel pump and some sort of ems with a wide band if you dont have injectors your leaning it out, or your loading it up like i am your turbo feels real good up to 4500 and then it feels like it starts to break up i bet that is from lack of a good tun you have no idea what your running right now. but for now just run it pig rich and dont get on it to much you could risk blowing your motor or just waste a bunch of gas if your trying to go cheap on the tune good luck your wasting your money and time
Old 01-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boosted h22 breaking up isssue, EASY FIX??? (mkw1)

look man get a fuel pump and some sort of ems with a wide band if you dont have injectors your leaning it out, or your loading it up like i am your turbo feels real good up to 4500 and then it feels like it starts to break up i bet that is from lack of a good tun you have no idea what your running right now. but for now just run it pig rich and dont get on it to much you could risk blowing your motor or just waste a bunch of gas if your trying to go cheap on the tune good luck your wasting your money and time

Quick Reply: boosted h22 breaking up isssue, EASY FIX???