Notices

Boosted B18B1 start-up issue, idle issue, boost issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosted B18B1 start-up issue, idle issue, boost issues

I have a 2000 Integra LS with the factory B18B1, boosted. I’m having a few issues with the car and I’m planning to take a few datalogs tomorrow, but I was wondering if anybody has any thoughts on what it could be, just to get a jump start on it tonight.

So the B18B1 is all stock, minus ARP headstuds and APR rod studs. I also gave the motor a complete overhaul before I boosted it. It also has a GSR tranny with an ITR LSD. Go-Autoworks mini ram manifold, 3 inch straight-through exhaust, Garrett T3/T4 hybrid 500hp turbo, Aeromotive 340 fuel pump, ID 1000cc injectors, AEM fuel rail, AEM FRP, tuned on S300, etc, etc.

So here’s the issues that I’m having, and I’m wondering if they’re not all tied together, resulting from the same thing.

When starting the car (it’s the worst when the motor is bone cold, but it still happens even when it’s warmed up sometimes), 95% of the time, the car stalls out. There’s a very slight chance that the motor stays running, but even if it does, the idle is super low (like between 200-400 rpms) and it still sounds like it wants to stall out. I have to give the car throttle on almost every startup for it to actually stay running, and when I do give it throttle to keep it running, it runs horrible (sounds like it’s misfiring pretty bad, or stuttering). It will eventually smooth out, but sometimes it takes a while. It’s almost like the IACV isn’t doing it’s job, which I know isn’t the case, because if I unplug the IACV, then the car stalls out.

Another issue is the idle even when the car is warm. Whether I’m just revving the car up, or if I’m driving and I shift into neutral when coming to a stop, the idle will hunt around a lot of the time (between like 200-600 rpms) and a lot of the time, the car will actually stall out.

The last issue that I’m having is when I’m in boost, the car hesitates. It feels like boost is cutting in and out, or that the car is misfiring horribly, or that something is holding the car back from it’s full potential. I suppose it could also be a lean spot, which I’m obviously hoping that it is not.

I’ve tried to explain my issues to the best of my ability, but if you have any questions for me, please don’t hesitate to ask. I really want to get this resolved so that I can enjoy my car again.

Thanks in advance!

- DJ
Old 01-11-2019, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Re: Boosted B18B1 start-up issue, idle issue, boost issues

Originally Posted by GSR_ITR_BOIB
I have a 2000 Integra LS with the factory B18B1, boosted. I’m having a few issues with the car and I’m planning to take a few datalogs tomorrow, but I was wondering if anybody has any thoughts on what it could be, just to get a jump start on it tonight.

So the B18B1 is all stock, minus ARP headstuds and APR rod studs. I also gave the motor a complete overhaul before I boosted it. It also has a GSR tranny with an ITR LSD. Go-Autoworks mini ram manifold, 3 inch straight-through exhaust, Garrett T3/T4 hybrid 500hp turbo, Aeromotive 340 fuel pump, ID 1000cc injectors, AEM fuel rail, AEM FRP, tuned on S300, etc, etc.

So here’s the issues that I’m having, and I’m wondering if they’re not all tied together, resulting from the same thing.

When starting the car (it’s the worst when the motor is bone cold, but it still happens even when it’s warmed up sometimes), 95% of the time, the car stalls out. There’s a very slight chance that the motor stays running, but even if it does, the idle is super low (like between 200-400 rpms) and it still sounds like it wants to stall out. I have to give the car throttle on almost every startup for it to actually stay running, and when I do give it throttle to keep it running, it runs horrible (sounds like it’s misfiring pretty bad, or stuttering). It will eventually smooth out, but sometimes it takes a while. It’s almost like the IACV isn’t doing it’s job, which I know isn’t the case, because if I unplug the IACV, then the car stalls out.

Another issue is the idle even when the car is warm. Whether I’m just revving the car up, or if I’m driving and I shift into neutral when coming to a stop, the idle will hunt around a lot of the time (between like 200-600 rpms) and a lot of the time, the car will actually stall out.

The last issue that I’m having is when I’m in boost, the car hesitates. It feels like boost is cutting in and out, or that the car is misfiring horrible, or that something is holding the car back from it’s full potential. I suppose it could also be a lean spot, which I’m obviously hoping that it is not.

I’ve tried to explain my issues to the best of my ability, but if you have any questions for me, please don’t hesitate to ask. I really want to get this resolved so that I can enjoy my car again.

Thanks in advance!

- DJ
sounds like your start up table needs some attention. I remember having to adjust my fuel table per temp change during warm up process until the car reached 170/180 range , there is also a voltage / injector calibration chart that could play into things
Old 01-11-2019, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx

sounds like your start up table needs some attention. I remember having to adjust my fuel table per temp change during warm up process until the car reached 170/180 range , there is also a voltage / injector calibration chart that could play into things
I’ll look into both for sure, but the startup table wouldn’t have anything to do with my boost issues I would assume, right?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by GSR_ITR_BOIB

I’ll look into both for sure, but the startup table wouldn’t have anything to do with my boost issues I would assume, right?
you might want to check / reset your timing
Old 01-11-2019, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx

you might want to check / reset your timing
Good call. I’ll do that first thing before I get to data logging.