Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Boosted B18B1 Misfiring/Hesitating/Sputtering/Pop in boost - Datalogging help needed (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/boosted-b18b1-misfiring-hesitating-sputtering-pop-boost-datalogging-help-needed-3334020/)

GSR_ITR_BOIB 02-18-2019 04:01 PM

Boosted B18B1 Misfiring/Hesitating/Sputtering/Pop in boost - Datalogging help needed

I have a 2000 LS Integra with a boosted B18B1. I have it tuned on S300. When I first put this car together, everything seemed to run perfectly fine. I developed a hesitation of some sort during boost, and at that time, I had took a shot in the dark and changed out my Walbro 255 fuel pump with an Aeromotive 340 fuel pump. That seemed to fix the problem, but not for very long.

Soon after replacing the pump, I developed another hesitation during boost - this time it sounds maybe like a misfire. You can hear it popping a little bit too, but not super loud. Boost stays at a steady 12-13 lbs during this whole hesitating state, so I’d like to think that I could rule out a vacuum leak or a boost leak.

I changed my fuel filter today, with little to no difference. Other things to try on my upcoming list are as follows:

- New plugs/wires (again)
- Different distributor
- Check the timing (I think it’s okay)
- Clean the injectors
- Check/re-solder the main relay
- Check my injector jumper harnesses
- Maybe try a different ECU

I would also like to take a datalog of the car in the meantime. In S300, which parameters and sensors should I have checked to datalog, based on the information to the problem that I’ve given?

Thanks in advance!

- DJ

NVturbo 02-18-2019 04:16 PM

Re: Boosted B18B1 Misfiring/Hesitating/Sputtering/Pop in boost - Datalogging help nee

I don't think it's fuel related...more like ignition or spark. Have you checked the obvious, like sparks plugs and plug wires??

Txdragon 02-18-2019 04:35 PM

Re: Boosted B18B1 Misfiring/Hesitating/Sputtering/Pop in boost - Datalogging help nee

Check plug gap as well. Definitely get a datalog. Watch your vss to rule out speed sensor issue. Report back with results.

GSR_ITR_BOIB 02-18-2019 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by NVturbo (Post 51865187)
I don't think it's fuel related...more like ignition or spark. Have you checked the obvious, like sparks plugs and plug wires??

Both plugs and plug wires were recently changed. Haven’t checked them yet, but will definitely check them first thing tomorrow. I’ll probably just end up replacing them to rule them out.

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51865198)
Check plug gap as well. Definitely get a datalog. Watch your vss to rule out speed sensor issue. Report back with results.

Plug gap - should be about what, .028”? I’ll also check this first thing tomorrow. I’ll get a datalog tomorrow as well and report back. In the meantime, any other opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Txdragon 02-18-2019 05:14 PM

Plug gap .028, yessir.

GSR_ITR_BOIB 02-18-2019 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51865218)
Plug gap .028, yessir.

Awesome, I’ll check it out tomorrow and report back!

Aradin 02-18-2019 05:59 PM

Depending on the strength of the other parts in your ignition system, your setup may want less plug gap. It will vary per vehicle. Whenever I am diagnosing a boosted setup with a misfire under load the plugs are one of the first things I check. 75% of the time tightening up the gap will resolve the issue. You may try tightening them up to .018 and see how it does. Doesn't take long to do.

GSR_ITR_BOIB 02-18-2019 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Aradin (Post 51865237)
Depending on the strength of the other parts in your ignition system, your setup may want less plug gap. It will vary per vehicle. Whenever I am diagnosing a boosted setup with a misfire under load the plugs are one of the first things I check. 75% of the time tightening up the gap will resolve the issue. You may try tightening them up to .018 and see how it does. Doesn't take long to do.

Thats ironic that you say that. I just talked to my tuner about it, and we just discussed literally the same thing you said. I’m gonna start at .018” and see what happens. Thanks for the input!

turboLScrx 02-18-2019 06:53 PM

I had a misfire this past year and I found a frayed wire inside my distributor that was arching under high rpm, I took it apart and rerouted and protected the wires inside and problem solved, it was bad enough to make the dyno freak out and stop reading my ignition

GSR_ITR_BOIB 02-18-2019 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by turboLScrx (Post 51865261)
I had a misfire this past year and I found a frayed wire inside my distributor that was arching under high rpm, I took it apart and rerouted and protected the wires inside and problem solved, it was bad enough to make the dyno freak out and stop reading my ignition

I may actually dip into the distributor at a point as well. Come to think of it, there was a time where I had a no-start problem that ended up being a wire in the distributor.

TheShodan 02-18-2019 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by GSR_ITR_BOIB (Post 51865250)

Thats ironic that you say that. I just talked to my tuner about it, and we just discussed literally the same thing you said. I’m gonna start at .018” and see what happens. Thanks for the input!

you'll blow that spark out going that low very quickly. Though can enhance the distributor with an external coil and digital ignition box.

NVturbo 02-19-2019 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by GSR_ITR_BOIB (Post 51865250)

mine was gapped @ .20. Seems to have a harder time starting and I recently regapped them to .26. Much better now

2x0 02-19-2019 04:48 AM

Have always run .020-.021 gap on v-power plugs in my boosted cars without any problems.

GSR_ITR_BOIB 02-19-2019 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51865293)
you'll blow that spark out going that low very quickly. Though can enhance the distributor with an external coil and digital ignition box.

Originally Posted by NVturbo (Post 51865350)
mine was gapped @ .20. Seems to have a harder time starting and I recently regapped them to .26. Much better now

Originally Posted by 2x0 (Post 51865412)
Have always run .020-.021 gap on v-power plugs in my boosted cars without any problems.

I have never personally gapped and ran my plugs that small, but I’ve heard a lot of people do run them with as tiny as a .018” gap. I think what I’m going to do is start at .020”, see what the car starts and runs like, and maybe work my way out from there. Is there a recommendation that anybody could give on which type of plugs to run? I’ve always ran NGK 2668 plugs in this car, but I’m always open to try something new.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have any time to dip into the car today as I had planned to, so it’s going to have to wait until tomorrow. Hopefully I can make some progress on this thing tomorrow.

Aradin 02-19-2019 02:05 PM

People run smaller than .018, especially bigger power setups still on stock ignition. I have tuned setups with the gap as small as .011. Generally you want to find the biggest gap that will work for your setup though. I just said .018 to give you a quick basis to check and see if that helps. You can always work backwards from there. The most common plug for turbo Honda setups are the NGK BKR7Es.

GSR_ITR_BOIB 02-19-2019 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Aradin (Post 51866362)
People run smaller than .018, especially bigger power setups still on stock ignition. I have tuned setups with the gap as small as .011. Generally you want to find the biggest gap that will work for your setup though. I just said .018 to give you a quick basis to check and see if that helps. You can always work backwards from there. The most common plug for turbo Honda setups are the NGK BKR7Es.

I’ll go ahead and call the parts store and have them put some plugs on hold for me for tomorrow and I’ll start at .018” and work my way out. I’m hoping that this is my problem, beings that it’s probably the easiest and cheapest.

TheShodan 02-19-2019 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by GSR_ITR_BOIB (Post 51866370)

I’ll go ahead and call the parts store and have them put some plugs on hold for me for tomorrow and I’ll start at .018” and work my way out. I’m hoping that this is my problem, beings that it’s probably the easiest and cheapest.

I disagree. That's the best way to go through a bunch of plugs unnecessarily, and mitch now often. I've never gone below .029" on stock distributor and worked on enhancing the system. I used to cuddle a lie and would go through easily 7 events or more before changing to a fresh set of ngk coppers (range 7) at over 500whp. The only reason I'm even going to LS1 coils with a cut NGK wire is for parts availability ease. ( i hate AEM pencil coils, and i'll never use HONDATA)

K7-1Ktrevor 02-20-2019 11:55 AM

Make sure your points on your cap and rotor are free from buildup and corrosion. Sounds like you have a weak ignition system so plug gap, cap and rotor condition, plug wires, strength of the coil and even bad engine grounds could all potentially be the issue. 12-13lbs shouldn't be blowing out spark so you have a weak point somewhere. Cap and rotor is the usual culprit if plugs are gapped to .030" or less

GSR_ITR_BOIB 02-20-2019 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor (Post 51867091)
Make sure your points on your cap and rotor are free from buildup and corrosion. Sounds like you have a weak ignition system so plug gap, cap and rotor condition, plug wires, strength of the coil and even bad engine grounds could all potentially be the issue. 12-13lbs shouldn't be blowing out spark so you have a weak point somewhere. Cap and rotor is the usual culprit if plugs are gapped to .030" or less

I changed the plugs with some BKR7Es and gapped them to .020” to start - per my tuner, checked the timing (which was dead nuts on point), and did a valve lash adjustment so far today. I’m gonna run to the parts store to get some more ignition parts to try. Unfortunately, I got 6” of snow last night, so driving the car today to check to see if anything worked is out of the picture.

K7-1Ktrevor 02-20-2019 12:14 PM

Check your cap and rotor, it's not uncommon for them to build up allot of gross stuff on the points, you can scrape it off with a razor blade, sand paper or even just a flat head. I would say 85% of the time the cars I tune that have ignition break up it's due to build up on the points in the cap.

GSR_ITR_BOIB 02-20-2019 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor (Post 51867115)
Check your cap and rotor, it's not uncommon for them to build up allot of gross stuff on the points, you can scrape it off with a razor blade, sand paper or even just a flat head. I would say 85% of the time the cars I tune that have ignition break up it's due to build up on the points in the cap.

I was just gonna buy a new cap and rotor to rule it out.

motoxxxman 02-20-2019 04:37 PM

As a few people have stated, if your ignition system is healthy you should not have any problem at 0.028" gap at your boost level. Bigger gap always makes more power, better throttle response, better gas mileage, longer lasting, and easier cold starts.
I would set plugs at 0.028", not any smaller. If it still breaks up, find the real problem and fix that problem. Don't band-aid the issue with smaller than necessary plug gaps.
Keep in mind internal coils are very problematic. There's a good possibility the coil is dying. You can try a new coil (oem, not cheap parts store stuff), or convert to external coil and get a nice jump in ignition power.

The only time 0.020" and smaller gap is actually required is when you're in the 1000+hp club. And even then, it isn't always required.

GSR_ITR_BOIB 02-21-2019 04:38 PM

Ok, so here’s an update for everyone as I continue to scratch my head...

I bought some new BKR7E plugs and gapped them to .027”. I bought a new dizzy cap and rotor. I added a ground wire in from the chassis to the valve cover. I checked the timing which was dead nuts. I changed out the main relay. I cleaned the injectors. I did a valve lash adjustment.

First start up was rough. It took quite a few cranks for it to fire. When it fired, I had a check engine light but I didn’t check it right away - I wanted to get it out on the road before the rain hit and see if I solved my initial problem. Well, I did! I don’t know what fixed it, but it no longer breaks up or hesitates under load in boost, so that’s wonderful - but - now I have other problems.

I jumped the connector to reveal the CELs. I had code 6 and 10 - the ECT and AIT sensors. Well, no big deal, I’ll just change them out - so I did. I reset the ECU and fired it back up. It took quite a few cranks, once again, for the car to actually fire. Check engine light again. This time, it’s codes 6, 7 and 10. I tried resetting the ECU again with no luck. I still had the CELs.

What’s going on here?? I’m lost. Tomorrow, I’m gonna try to reload the tune onto the ECU and see if anything happens from that.

In the meantime, does anybody have any other suggestions for me?

NVturbo 02-21-2019 04:57 PM

do you have a ground at the thermostat housing??

GSR_ITR_BOIB 02-21-2019 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by NVturbo (Post 51868599)
do you have a ground at the thermostat housing??

I didn’t have the time to check before I had to leave to come into work. I’ll be checking that first thing tomorrow!