Notices

Bluish/White smoke coming out of exhaust.. Any suggestions..

Old 04-21-2002, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluish/White smoke coming out of exhaust.. Any suggestions..

when i let off the throttle, sometimes bluish white smoke comes out of the exhaust.. its more white than blue though.. at idle, there's very little or no smoke.. up at the turbo, after a drive, I can also see a little smoke coming up from the center section of the turbo on the turbine side as well.. not too much though.

I can't imagine the turbo is already on the downhill since its only about 2000 miles old and was brand new.. i am assuming that oil is escaping through the oil seal ring on the on the turbine shaft and is being burnt out the exhaust pipes etc because of my partly restrictive oil return line and high oil pressures.. i'm seeing about 70-80 psi at part/full throttle and about 20 psi at normal idle..

has anyone else experience this problem with their setups?? its so soon and already i'm experiencing this smoke problem from time to time. any suggestions on the culprit?? i dont think the oil seals are completely gone or else, i'd get major smoke out of the exhaust even at idle etc..

next weekend when i do the clutch install, i think i'm gonna redo the oil return line as well to see if it will help eleivate the problem and help drain the oil out of the turbo more efficiently so it wont escape out the seals etc...

please advise if u can..
Old 04-21-2002, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Bluish/White smoke coming out of exhaust.. Any suggestions.. (92HB_HB)

make sure you have a big enough oil inlet and return line. They need to be a ½ inch to ¾ and a -4 in and a -10 out. If you have the right size oil lines then take a look at you seal.

[Modified by kidkutz, 9:57 PM 4/21/2002]
Old 04-22-2002, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bluish/White smoke coming out of exhaust.. Any suggestions.. (92HB_HB)

UP..
Old 04-22-2002, 01:07 PM

Hmm well smoke isnt good any kind of it unless you like to smoke weed every day . Ok well first thing check to see if you have any oil in your intake pipe that travels from the intercooler. If you do then your in trouble. You also might be just runing rich I know I'am and sometime when I first start the car up I see some white smoke buy once I get on it, it goes away. Take the turbo out and inspect it. Your seal could of went but you said it was brand new. Sounds weird but who knows man. I know the website admin for http://www.clubsi.com blew his turbo like a few weeks after he got it. Something where a seal blew and oil got everywhere and messed everything up. Just pull it and examine it. Good luck
Old 04-22-2002, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Bluish/White smoke coming out of exhaust.. Any suggestions.. (TurboSohc)

Oil. Mine was leaking from the Turbo itself. Th garage that fixed it up said that it was a crappy oil return line.

Old 04-22-2002, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bluish/White smoke coming out of exhaust.. Any suggestions.. (wonny)

WONNY,

were u getting smoke out of the exhaust as well?? it looks like I'm experiencing that you just mentioned.. i'm gonna redo my return line this weekend...