Notices

Are blowoff valves legal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are blowoff valves legal?

Did some searching and came up with 0 results on each search, so here's my story:

Just got pulled over outside of school for no reason other than 'equipment violations' (about 4 cops were sitting outside of the exits to the parking lot, waving over people with modified cars.. guess they don't have anything better to do than give fix-it tickets to high schoolers). Anyways the main thing I got nailed for was "Emission system modifications", so I have to go to a state smog referee to get my car checked. It's a '98 Integra GS-R with a GReddy turbo kit & Tanabe racing medallion exhaust, but I have a CARB sticker for the turbo and a certification sheet for the exhaust. The main thing I'm worried about is my HKS SSQV Blowoff valve. I've heard that blowoff valves aren't legal (at leat in California). The only thing I can think of that would make them illegal is this: I know that you aren't allowed to let the crankcase blow-by vent to atmosphere (it has to be fed back into the intake stream), and it could be let out when the blowoff opens. So would I be fine if I added a oil catch can for that so it doesn't go back into the intake, or should I try to find a way to temporarily remove my BOV so it can pass smog, and then put it back on?

BTW I also heard something about the general rule is "anything that's adjustable is illegal".. what's up with that? (There's only one adjustment on the BOV, and it's intended to keep it from opening too early/late, and this really has no impact on emissions, so shouldn't it be legal?)

Please help me if you know anything about California smog laws - I can't drive my car until it gets certified by the smog referee ><

Thanks
Old 06-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are blowoff valves legal? (rezo)

The only BOVs that are legal are ones that vent back into the intake system. Basically the ones that come stock on any turbo car.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:53 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Are blowoff valves legal? (MachAF)

thats not a blow off valve thats a bypass valve
Old 06-05-2004, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Are blowoff valves legal? (Hella_JDM)

I find it a bit stupid that compressing air and sending it through some piping, then releasing it into the atmosphere would not pass emissions (sorry just venting).
Old 06-05-2004, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Are blowoff valves legal? (96-EJ6 B18C)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96-EJ6 B18C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I find it a bit stupid that compressing air and sending it through some piping, then releasing it into the atmosphere would not pass emissions (sorry just venting). </TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree ;/
Old 06-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not route the Blow Off Valve (exhaust outlet) back into your intake pipe, and call it a day.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Are blowoff valves legal? (synik)

its not that easy heh. would be easier to just take the BOV out and cover the hole with something.. i plan on changing it back to normal after i pass smog anyways
Old 06-05-2004, 12:34 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Just go to a junkyard and get one off of a DSM, just to use for that little test they are making you do.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:15 PM

What school was this at?

The BOV is illegal. The Greddy kit was CARB certified with no BOV and no intercooler.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are blowoff valves legal? (iiilgsrlll)

make a block off plate where the bov goes, put it on for the inspection and swap it out when you leave
Old 06-06-2004, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Are blowoff valves legal? (rochesterricer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rochesterricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just go to a junkyard and get one off of a DSM, just to use for that little test they are making you do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the flanges aren't the same. rezo, where in cali are you from?
Old 06-06-2004, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Are blowoff valves legal? (snailpoweredEK)

*points under avatar*
San Diego.

I'm planning on just taking off the BOV and putting something over the hole, then wrapping it with lots of duct tape.. hopefully that will pass

Old 06-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, you'll have to remove the BOV, not replace it with a dsm. the reason that its not legal is because greddy didnt use it in their testing, not because of the actual valve.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:28 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Are blowoff valves legal? (Fst Blk GTi)

actually is not carb legal for that reason , its not smog legal because it vents gasses into the atmosphere , non exhaust gasses it doesnt matter , it still vents , therefore its illegal.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Are blowoff valves legal? (Hella_JDM)

All it does is vent air into the atmoshere so it shouldn't matter. What would make it illegal is the fact that it hits a certain db rating that is to loud. At lease thats here in WI.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are blowoff valves legal? (MidoriHB)

take it off. and put a little plate over the hole for the test and youll be fine im sure.

then put the bov back on when you get home
Old 06-07-2004, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are blowoff valves legal? (MidoriHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidoriHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All it does is vent air into the atmoshere so it shouldn't matter. What would make it illegal is the fact that it hits a certain db rating that is to loud. At lease thats here in WI.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ANY BLOW OFF VALVE PERIOD OR BYPASS VALVE THAT IS ON A CAR THAT DID NOT COME EQUIPED WITH IT, IS ILLEGAL IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA. You cannot bypas the air back into the intake, you can block it off, and take off your intercooler and take it to the ref. That is the simplest most effect way to ending your situation.

HTH

Rob
Old 06-07-2004, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Are blowoff valves legal? (rjardy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rjardy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ANY BLOW OFF VALVE PERIOD OR BYPASS VALVE THAT IS ON A CAR THAT DID NOT COME EQUIPED WITH IT, IS ILLEGAL IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA. You cannot bypas the air back into the intake, you can block it off, and take off your intercooler and take it to the ref. That is the simplest most effect way to ending your situation.

HTH

Rob</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sad but true.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:43 AM

how is venting clean air back into the atmosphere illegal? the air coming out of the BOV has just recently been sucked into the chargepipe...it is just air! Thats like saying breathing through a snorkle is illegal!
Old 06-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (-TRINiTRON-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -TRINiTRON- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how is venting clean air back into the atmosphere illegal? the air coming out of the BOV has just recently been sucked into the chargepipe...it is just air! Thats like saying breathing through a snorkle is illegal!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because the turbo can start to slowly leak oil around the seals. Not enought for you to notice, but enough to get into the airstream, then the BOV is venting oil-filled air.

So, as a precaution, the bureaucrats just said no - period. Not, well it's illegal only if it has an oil leak...How would you know?
Old 06-07-2004, 12:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -TRINiTRON- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how is venting clean air back into the atmosphere illegal? the air coming out of the BOV has just recently been sucked into the chargepipe...it is just air! Thats like saying breathing through a snorkle is illegal!</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is illegal because there is a possibilty that the vented air can contain hydrocarbons from blowby or a bad turbo seal. Venting it into the atmosphere bypasses the smog control device (cat) and is technically illegal. You can argue this with the state ref all you want but I guarantee you will lose the battle every single time.

Modified by iiilgsrlll at 2:28 PM 6/7/2004
Old 06-07-2004, 12:59 PM

Default Re: (iiilgsrlll)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iiilgsrlll &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is a possibilty that the vented air can contain hydrocarbons from blowby or a bad turbo seal</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can understand that venting blowby gases and oil that enters the intake stream from a tube attached to the valve cover would be illegal (which is why I asked if adding an oil catch can like the one GReddy makes would make my BOV legal), but oil from bad turbo seals? That's starting to get really picky.. but I guess the law is the law so I'm going to remove the BOV for the test, then put it back on when I come home &gt;:D (I &lt;3 the sound the BOV makes, plus it increases the life of the turbo so it's going back on there ASAP)
Old 06-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Stu
New User

Just so everyone knows, it doesn't matter that it's just air. It's illegal because it's California, and most of their laws are stupid. Learn to deal with it.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:18 PM

I didn't think about the seals being bad...I guess cali laws just suck.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:35 PM

C.A.R.B.
Period. What they say goes for you guys.

Quick Reply: Are blowoff valves legal?