Notices

blown headgasket or pistons? PLEASE HELP ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default blown headgasket or pistons? PLEASE HELP ASAP!

Ok, so its a bone stock obd1 b16 fresh from the engine importer. I threw it in and was running it off of the wastegate which was 7psi. Got a boost controller put on it and turned it up to 10. the car felt great. And all of the sudden in a 4th gear pull it went from 10 to 18 or so in the blink of an eye and it was all of about 3 seconds that i pulled on it at that boost level. When i let off of it it sounded like a subaru. Got home and compression tested it and got 50-30-170-190, a week ago it was 210 across the board. Its not using hardly any oil and looks like its using coolant but not blowing bubbles in the coolant or anything. Dont see a water oil mix anywhere. But its smoking really bad at idle. But once you get going and up around 3500+rpm it doesnt smoke that bad at all, and when your in boost it feels fine. SO what would that be, also its blowing alot of smoke out of the valve cover breather. And the smoke is a grey color, not bright blue or white, but grey. any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blown headgasket or pistons? PLEASE HELP ASAP! (a1320honda)

i just had an LS that sounded like a subaru and had 50 compression in the number 3 cylinder and smoked REALLY bad out the valve cover breather nipple. took the motor apart and the ringlands fell off the piston.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: blown headgasket or pistons? PLEASE HELP ASAP! (CoreyR)

I can see the cracked pistons from here.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blown headgasket or pistons? PLEASE HELP ASAP! (Runnerdown)

But would that happen only pulling that mount of boost for like 3 seconds, and it was a really cool night. Its just not using much oil for as much as its smoking, but it is goin through coolnt. And its hard to tell because i have open downpipe, but i think smoke is coming from between the head and the block under the intake manifold, but im not sure. I just would think that with the car having everything to handle up to 1.5bar that a 3 second blast of 18psi wouldnt just kill 2 pistons like that. And i had an LS that cracked ringlands in #3 and put down decent compression still. Just tryin to get a general consensious. Not tryin to argue.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a1320honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But would that happen only pulling that mount of boost for like 3 seconds, and it was a really cool night. Its just not using much oil for as much as its smoking, but it is goin through coolnt. And its hard to tell because i have open downpipe, but i think smoke is coming from between the head and the block under the intake manifold, but im not sure. I just would think that with the car having everything to handle up to 1.5bar that a 3 second blast of 18psi wouldnt just kill 2 pistons like that. And i had an LS that cracked ringlands in #3 and put down decent compression still. Just tryin to get a general consensious. Not tryin to argue.</TD></TR></TABLE>

8 psi more then its tuned for, on a cold night as you say, cooler denser air = more prone to leaning/detonation. easily could have. most likely scenario is it blew the head gasket between those 2 cylinders. but i wouldnt rule out anything until you take it apart. why are you still driving it anyways?

then again its huffing out the breather, only a cracked ringland/piston would cause that not a HG.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blown headgasket or pistons? PLEASE HELP ASAP! (CoreyR)

The whole point of me pullin on it was to watch the wideband, it never went above 11.7 AFR on the wideband even at 18psi. So i ruled out leaning out, got a walbro 255, and PTE 1000cc injectors, timing in that range isnt crazy high at all. I dont know why im even worried about it, im building a High comp. B20/VTEC to drop in it. Just wanted to see who is right and wrong when i tear it apart. Im sure you guys are right knowing my luck, and...

Cause its my only car and i work from 8am to 5pm, so i need to be able to get back and forth from work.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ringlands most def. i have a buddy with the same problem. Bet if you pull the dip stick out there wil be smoke coming from there to. It doesn have to do with AF oem pistons are cast and they are very weak around the ringland area. It was the cylinder pressure which destroyed them. Either way you will be rebuilding that motor "RIP". Continueing to drive it is going to create more demage to the bore of the block but lucky you have another motor on the way. Go easy on it and it might just last till the next motor is ready.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a1320honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The whole point of me pullin on it was to watch the wideband, it never went above 11.7 AFR on the wideband even at 18psi. So i ruled out leaning out, got a walbro 255, and PTE 1000cc injectors, timing in that range isnt crazy high at all. I dont know why im even worried about it, im building a High comp. B20/VTEC to drop in it. Just wanted to see who is right and wrong when i tear it apart. Im sure you guys are right knowing my luck, and...

Cause its my only car and i work from 8am to 5pm, so i need to be able to get back and forth from work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what wideband were you using and how old was the sensor ?
Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blown headgasket or pistons? PLEASE HELP ASAP! (tony413)

PLX-M300 and sensor has about 2k
Old 11-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

has it seen leaded gas anytime. im thinking maybe your sensor was bad, but besizes that your ringlands may be gone
Old 11-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony413)

sounds like cracked ring lands to me too!!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (miller)

nope, always 92octane unleaded. it prolly is. Its just weird that i can see smoke from between the block and the head, i know it has to be at least a little bit headgasket lol. and it from the side of the block that the same to low comp. numbers came from.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (a1320honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a1320honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nope, always 92octane unleaded. it prolly is. Its just weird that i can see smoke from between the block and the head, i know it has to be at least a little bit headgasket lol. and it from the side of the block that the same to low comp. numbers came from.</TD></TR></TABLE>

get a pH test kit and dip it into your coolant if you have a blown gasket you will get an "acid" if the gasket is cool you will get a "base"