Notices

blowing smoke out my tail pipe after turbo install

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blowing smoke out my tail pipe after turbo install

just reinstall my t3/t4 on my bone stock b18b1. i didn't check before if it was blowing smoke but yesterday when driving i saw smoke flying everywhere whenever i punch the gas...and everytime i shift gears. Even when i give it a little gas it still blows smoke. O yea, this is when not in boost & in boost.

yes, i got it street tuned with a wideband using Crome program for the chip. i'm running on some rc440, ngk bkr7e spark plugs gap at 28, walbro fuel pump. O and also, will a straight cat cause this? let me know if anyone has an idea of what's going on.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blowing smoke out my tail pipe after turbo install (siblue_gzer)

black, blue, or white? black = rich, white = coolant/headgasket, blue = oil. If you have white smoke, I have to ask if you used headstuds or anything when going boost. Your head may have lifted and now ur burning coolant. check ur level in ur rad and bottle etc. Sorry if you already know all this, just trying to help.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blowing smoke out my tail pipe after turbo install (gator88)

well, the smoke is kinda grayish white. it's not black and not white, it's in between. i'm running my stock studs, and the most i've boost was 10 psi for a couple of runs. and yes i am losing some water somewhere, but i checked my compression and it's about 200 across
Old 05-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is your oil return ran? You want it to drain straight down to the pan and not have it loop upwards. The oil is drained by gravity.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siblue_gzer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, the smoke is kinda grayish white. it's not black and not white, it's in between. i'm running my stock studs, and the most i've boost was 10 psi for a couple of runs. and yes i am losing some water somewhere, but i checked my compression and it's about 200 across</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you running a stock HG?

It sounds to me like you either have a blown HG, or even may be getting some blow-by (piston rings are fried).
Old 05-08-2007, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blowing smoke out my tail pipe after turbo install (PrecisionH23a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How is your oil return ran? You want it to drain straight down to the pan and not have it loop upwards. The oil is drained by gravity.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, there's a little upward at the return bung on the pan but it's pretty diagonal.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1995Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you running a stock HG?

It sounds to me like you either have a blown HG, or even may be getting some blow-by (piston rings are fried).
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes i'm running my stock headgasket. and would fried piston rings cause any performance loss, i mean major loss?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bad rings would cause major performance loss, and if ur losing water, ten u have a bad HG.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blowing smoke out my tail pipe after turbo install (93supercoupe)

well, car does overheat sometimes like stop and go traffic. whenever i drive for a while and turn off car, my radiator hose(the lower one that goes to the bottom block) collapse. could this be a bad thermostat (the one i have is a Pepboys brand)? or blown headgasket? sometimes the resevoir will be filled to the top and start to drip out...and then i have to add some more fluid.

one friend told me to change the thermostat to an oem one. another friend told me to change out the radiator hose. another said it's a headgasket problem. could it be all three that makes the car overheat?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siblue_gzer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes i'm running my stock headgasket. and would fried piston rings cause any performance loss, i mean major loss?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need to change that HG. Either OEM or Cometic are both good.

Yes, bad piston rings will cause major performance issues, as well as smoking (your situation).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siblue_gzer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, car does overheat sometimes like stop and go traffic. whenever i drive for a while and turn off car, my radiator hose(the lower one that goes to the bottom block) collapse. could this be a bad thermostat (the one i have is a Pepboys brand)? or blown headgasket? sometimes the resevoir will be filled to the top and start to drip out...and then i have to add some more fluid.

one friend told me to change the thermostat to an oem one. another friend told me to change out the radiator hose. another said it's a headgasket problem. could it be all three that makes the car overheat?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You pretty much answered your own question.

All three can definitely create overheating issues. I would start with the HG and work your way to the other two "potential suspects". Dont forget to get some ARP headstuds to go along w/ that gasket. The head lifting will also create smoke/overheating.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i vote on turbo seal related issues
Old 05-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blowing smoke out my tail pipe after turbo install (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i vote on turbo seal related issues</TD></TR></TABLE>

o yea, i did do a DIY rebuild on it. now somehow oil is leaking on the exhaust side. i tried to take the turbine side out but a couple of bolts were stripped. so i tighten it back as tight as i can. and i only install new bearings to the compressor side (cold side). i haven't taken a close look of where it's coming from but i'm sure it's either from the feed line housing or the turbine housing. but wouldn't this cause black smoke though, because it's oil that's burning. and i checked my oil and it hasn't drop yet.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen cars with all 4 ringlands cracked to hell and make WHITE smoke screens - oil isn't always that electron-blue color. As far as how much oil is needed to make a smoke screen, its very little. If you are pushing a drop a second out while cruising, that would vaporize upon contact with the 700F+ turbine housing.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO...no matter how good/new your setup and engine are, things are going to smoke a little bit from time to time...
Old 05-09-2007, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO...no matter how good/new your setup and engine are, things are going to smoke a little bit from time to time...</TD></TR></TABLE>

So true, and that turbo smell too lol
Old 05-09-2007, 08:28 AM

Default Re: blowing smoke out my tail pipe after turbo install (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i vote on turbo seal related issues</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would say this is also a very good possibility, I just didnt know he did a DIY rebuild lol.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blowing smoke out my tail pipe after turbo install (1995Civic)

Sounds to me like there are multiple problems.