Notices

block guard installation without taking it to a machine shop? Yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default block guard installation without taking it to a machine shop? Yay or nay?

What's this I hear about it pinching the tops of the cylinder walls and chit?
Old 11-29-2004, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: block guard installation without taking it to a machine shop? Yay or nay? (Black R)

I was told awhile ago that it is just alright to set the blockguard in there and put the head right back on!
Old 11-29-2004, 03:56 PM

Default Re: block guard installation without taking it to a machine shop? Yay or nay? (Black R)

if installed correctly, they are designed to prevent the tops of the cylinder walls from warping...
Old 11-29-2004, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: block guard installation without taking it to a machine shop? Yay or nay? (1Bar GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1Bar GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was told awhile ago that it is just alright to set the blockguard in there and put the head right back on!</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i did. It was sitting about an 1/8" of an inch down when i set it in the block
Old 11-29-2004, 04:30 PM

Default Re: block guard installation without taking it to a machine shop? Yay or nay? (pip9)

Block guards a lame... just tune your car well and you will be fine.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Re: block guard installation without taking it to a machine shop? Yay or nay? (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Block guards a lame... just tune your car well and you will be fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly...
Old 11-29-2004, 08:46 PM

Default Re: block guard installation without taking it to a machine shop? Yay or nay? (lanojp1)

I wouldn't say blockguards are lame or anything. I personally think they can help you if/when installed correctly and can hurt you if not. I wouldn't install a blockguard without it being aligned honed & bored. Just MHO.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: block guard installation without taking it to a machine shop? Yay or nay? (RacerXI)

What Larry from ENDYNE sent to me in an email....

If you use a blockguard, every cylinder must be honed using a ridgid-style hone. The block must be at operating temperature and there has to be a torque plate used to simulate a cylinder head.
Best advice is to use lower boost and no blockguard, or use a more conventional B series block.

Larry

So there you have it...
Old 11-29-2004, 08:56 PM

Default Re: block guard installation without taking it to a machine shop? Yay or nay? (RacerXI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RacerXI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't say blockguards are lame or anything. I personally think they can help you if/when installed correctly and can hurt you if not. I wouldn't install a blockguard without it being aligned honed & bored. Just MHO.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How can they possibly help? They interfeer with coolant flow which can cause over heating. They arent made of the same material/thickness/everything as the stock sleeves so they wont expand at the same rate as the sleeves, thus causing problems. The whole point behind them is to keep something from expanding when the nature of the beast is, metal expands under heat, you are supposed to give measure for that expansion, not limit it. Have you ever looked at railroad tracks? There is a reason why they put spaces inbetween, for thermal expansion.

So no, block guards wont do much for you except cause problems.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: block guard installation without taking it to a machine shop? Yay or nay? (fatvat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatvat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How can they possibly help? They interfeer with coolant flow which can cause over heating. They arent made of the same material/thickness/everything as the stock sleeves so they wont expand at the same rate as the sleeves, thus causing problems. The whole point behind them is to keep something from expanding when the nature of the beast is, metal expands under heat, you are supposed to give measure for that expansion, not limit it. Have you ever looked at railroad tracks? There is a reason why they put spaces inbetween, for thermal expansion.

So no, block guards wont do much for you except cause problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Nah, if you install it right, you should have no worry about. I've done one w/ my friend's car and still running over a year now. No machining required.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:56 PM
SYD
Honda-Tech Member

~13,000 miles 14 months with R.A.C.E. eng. block guard in daily driver no problems..