Notices

Blip the throttle in idle and bov does not whistle...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blip the throttle in idle and bov does not whistle...

I see in videos where cars are in idle and their bovs whistle when they blip the throttle. When I try that my Greddy Type RS doesent go off. Vaccuum goes to about 10 and thats it. When building boost of course it goes off. And when i'm out of boost I hear a ts ts ts noise when I shift or let off the throttle. Is this normal or do I have a problem with my setup? Any suggestions would help. Thanks!

Old 11-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what size turbo are you using?? On my old setup w/ my T3/T04E 60trim, i would have to give it a good rev before i would hear any sort of noise from the bov. I am running a Tial 50mm however. I dont think you have anything to worry about.....the reason you see cars like SRT4s blowing off with very little throttle is because they have a tiny little turbo that spools instantly....
Old 11-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is normal. Mine does the same thing. Garrett T3 Super 60. A friend of mine tried to explain why vehicles like subarus can do it and it's harder to do (but possible) with cars like hondas.
-Rik
Old 11-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what size turbo are you using?? On my old setup w/ my T3/T04E 60trim, i would have to give it a good rev before i would hear any sort of noise from the bov. I am running a Tial 50mm however. I dont think you have anything to worry about.....the reason you see cars like SRT4s blowing off with very little throttle is because they have a tiny little turbo that spools instantly....</TD></TR></TABLE>

B18c1 T3/T4 57 trim, making 289whp. Tiny compressor mine is not.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tweekerz)

Do you guys hear that ts ts ts noise when you let off the throttle in vaccuum? It comes from the driver side where my compressor is. Could that be compressor surge?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be compressor surge. Very minor, but most BOVs open only under some positive pressure, so you can still surge the compressor. (The charge pipe gets pressurized, it is the throttle that keeps the engine from seeing boost)

This is why I use a strange setup. I use a DSM BOV (which opens at vacuum, regardless of boost), and then use a check valve to keep it from sucking air in and bypassing the MAF when not in boost. Works good, sounds good, and no surge.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It could be compressor surge. Very minor, but most BOVs open only under some positive pressure, so you can still surge the compressor. (The charge pipe gets pressurized, it is the throttle that keeps the engine from seeing boost)

This is why I use a strange setup. I use a DSM BOV (which opens at vacuum, regardless of boost), and then use a check valve to keep it from sucking air in and bypassing the MAF when not in boost. Works good, sounds good, and no surge.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats a strange setup but sounds clever. Do you thing this minor compressor surge is something to be concerned about? Will the longevity of the turbo be compromised? Thanks for all the replies guys.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought that if a car was externally wastegated that it wouldnt blow off at idle and that if they were internally gated they could.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EFvtec Yo!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EFvtec Yo! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought that if a car was externally wastegated that it wouldnt blow off at idle and that if they were internally gated they could.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That may be, stock Scoobies and SRT4's arent externally gated I believe. Anyone else chime in on this?
Old 11-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow............read some more guys please.

Our motors mostly cannot do it cause we put large turbo's on our motors.

Cars like subies, evo's have small, ball bearing turbo's that are easier/quicker to spool up. You put a little t25 turbo on a 2 liter GSR motor and it will blow off at idle if you rev it up.

It also has to do with exhaust flow.

Think about semi trucks, they flow so much exhaust, they spool the turbo instantly, less than 100rpms.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow............read some more guys please.

Our motors mostly cannot do it cause we put large turbo's on our motors.

Cars like subies, evo's have small, ball bearing turbo's that are easier/quicker to spool up. You put a little t25 turbo on a 2 liter GSR motor and it will blow off at idle if you rev it up.

It also has to do with exhaust flow.

Think about semi trucks, they flow so much exhaust, they spool the turbo instantly, less than 100rpms.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah that makes sense. When i rev it up my turbo almost wants to spool it seems. Thanks for the info.