Notices

blew up my ls turbo,time for ls vtec turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blew up my ls turbo,time for ls vtec turbo

I blew up my ls turbo motor friday night and now I need you help to build my ls vtec turbo monster. Any help would be great. I cracked the #2 piston in my ls motor and cracked all the rings in the others. the block is good. I want the block built, and good fuel setup with a stand alone(AEM). any ideas would be great to help me out get this thing started. Any thing else you guys think of I need.

bryan
Old 10-10-2004, 09:49 AM

go big! 84.5mm sleeved!
Old 10-10-2004, 09:55 AM

Default Re: (lanojp1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lanojp1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go big! 84.5mm sleeved!</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, so that incase he ever makes a mistake tuning or gets a bad tank of gas, he can crack those 84.5MM sleeves and have the motor be unuseable for boost, instead of sacrificing a whopping 70CC's of displacement and running an 83MM bore.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah, so that incase he ever makes a mistake tuning or gets a bad tank of gas, he can crack those 84.5MM sleeves and have the motor be unuseable for boost, instead of sacrificing a whopping 70CC's of displacement and running an 83MM bore. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol... sorry that gave me a good laugh cause it's true.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: blew up my ls turbo,time for ls vtec turbo (grey16)

so why did the motor give up on ya?

Khoi
Old 10-10-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Re: blew up my ls turbo,time for ls vtec turbo (Sohc Driver)

the motor was stock, all stock. it was about time for it to go I had the turbo on it for about year and half. So I was just waiting for the day for it to go. Not the smartest thing to do but it was fun and I enjoyed it time to upgrade and do it right and hope it will last for a while.

I plan going with 2.0l(??mm bore) stroker kit and use the Darton sleeves. but I have heard of people haveing cooling problems with these sleeves in thier daily driver, is this true.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by grey16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the motor was stock, all stock. it was about time for it to go I had the turbo on it for about year and half. So I was just waiting for the day for it to go. Not the smartest thing to do but it was fun and I enjoyed it time to upgrade and do it right and hope it will last for a while.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't buy that as a legitmate reason as to why it gave up on you. There are plenty of guys with boosted motors that last a long time. What kind of engine management were you running? How routine were your oil/spark plug changes? How often did you beat on the motor? How many miles were on the motor exactly?

Khoi
Old 10-10-2004, 05:41 PM

Like I said the motor was stock internals fuel injectors computer(not a smart choice), the only fuel up grades I did was 255 intank and b&M FPR. There were about 80k+ miles on it I'm guessing. oil and spark plugs were check and changed. So is 20 questions over and you got anything to help me out.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not sure on what you are wanting to know. Your question is very vague. From what I can see is that you want a built LsVtec running AEM EMS.......but if its feedback your wanting...I guess I'll tell you what I would do if I were to shoot for an LsVtec setup. I would:

1. sleeve and o-ring the block w/stock bore
2. run 9.2:1 cp pistons
3. pauter rods
4. micropolished and balanced gsr crank
5. new p72 oil pump,water pump,timing belt
6. send a b16 head to Portflow
7. run gsr cams w/Portflow valvetrain

Then I'd say you have a reliable boosted LsVtec setup.

Back to the other subject I addressed, I am trying to figure out specifically why your motor gave up, that way people would know not to follow the same foot steps. Were you running a vortech FMU?

Old 10-10-2004, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much boost were you puttin to it?
Old 10-10-2004, 08:49 PM

vortech fmu yes. it should have lasted longer I would of thought but I did run it about 25+ times at the track so it has been beat on a few times. about 2 weeks ago I installed a catch can notice very little blow by didn't think much of it which was a mistake. I just ran it to hard day after day. Not having the proper fuel. 7-8psi was what I was running. I'm realy not sure way it blew I wish I knew what mistake I made so I don't make it again. But cool that starts me in the right direction with internals and oil/water pumps, ect. I only drove the car for about year total it sat for 4 months why I was out of country.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:58 PM

let me guess, no timing control under boost? If so, that's why you're in the process of rebuilding...
Old 10-11-2004, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blew up my ls turbo,time for ls vtec turbo (PureTeg420)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PureTeg420 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">let me guess, no timing control under boost? If so, that's why you're in the process of rebuilding...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah..thats another I wanted to know...where was the timing set at on your distributor?

Khoi
Old 10-11-2004, 08:50 AM

I can't even remeber were we set it at I think it was around stock
Old 10-12-2004, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I plan going with 2.0l(??mm bore) stroker kit and use the Darton sleeves. but I have heard of people haveing cooling problems with these sleeves in thier daily driver, is this true.

We use Darton sleeve blanks and CNC machine them in house and CNC machine the block cavity and plate to close the deck. This works great on street/strip applications and no cooling issues. The closed deck adds support for the added thrust loads that comes with increased HP. Open deck designs essientially hinge at the bottom of the sleeve and shift under added thrust loads.The 84mm bore with the LS crank works great to make 2L. We have many of them out as daily drivers.
Darton sleeves