Notices

Black stuff in my end tank in my intercooler....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black stuff in my end tank in my intercooler....

hey whats up guys, im in the middle of a build for more power. I plan on using the intercooler from ym old set up until i came across something today... i stuck my hand into the end tank on the side where the charge pipe goes into the IM. and i stuck my finger in and got some black residue stuff... it didn't feel like oil.... but it was almost crusty.... the turbo i had before i think was leaking oil or something... but im a little worried there might be some stuff in the intercooler... the side where the turbo pipe bolts to the other end tank is clean very minimal black stuff. its almost looks like the stuff that comes outta my exhaust but maybe a little wetter. So now the question is.. what is the best way to clean out my IC?? also my car was running a bit rich... that maybe the reason for the excesss black stuff?

any thoughts?

thanks in advance...
Old 06-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Black stuff in my end tank in my intercooler.... (sirguy01)

its probably oil baked in it

brake cleaner , water hose and air hose
Old 06-24-2006, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Black stuff in my end tank in my intercooler.... (komat)

is this normal for all other intercoolers though? i thought end tanks were supposed to be spotless.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Black stuff in my end tank in my intercooler.... (sirguy01)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sirguy01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also my car was running a bit rich... that maybe the reason for the excesss black stuff?

any thoughts?

thanks in advance...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nothing that occurs in the combustion chamber should leave its mark in the intercooler...meaning the only way for "rich" gases to get into the intercooler would be to go backwards through the intake manifold....you would know if that happens.

If you have a PCV or any other type of ventilation hose from the then into the intake piping, its probably just normal oil vapor getting sucked. If its dry, it won't hurt anything, and if its wet it still wouldn't really hurt anything.

Brake cleaner, or that "foaming" engine bay cleaner stuff work great. Just spray in both ends and turn the intercooler around a couple times so the liqud gets everywhere. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and then do the same thing with the garden hose to clean it out. Or if your real concerned about the contents of your cities water, go to Wal-Mart and buy 5 of the $0.70 gallon deionized water jugs.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Black stuff in my end tank in my intercooler.... (Westrock2000)

i think im gonna hit up wal mart tommorow.

thanks