Notices

Black Smoke, White Smoke, Water everywhere, white watery oil, clean plugs....headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Smoke, White Smoke, Water everywhere, white watery oil, clean plugs....headgasket?

UPDATE: GIANT hole in sleeve #1, cracked sleeve, you guys were right.

last night during tuning, everything was looking sweet as hell... the graph was looking ridiculously smooth, a/f was perfect, numbers looking good for such low boost
then i noticed black smoked poofing out of the tailpipe right around 6300+ rpms.
then at 8psi, while still on the dyno... right around 6k, POOF white smoke everywhere, water squirted out of the wastegate, black smoke poofed out of the exhaust... if you look at the dyno chart, it doesn't do a crazy straight drop it just gradually drops down
duuuuuude.
take out the plugs, they look perfect, pistons appear to be in one piece...
so they crank it with the plugs out.... water EVERYWHERE. it diarhea'd 20ft in the air, actually hitting the shops roof. it was nuts.

i'll find out for sure what it is on monday/tuesday... but they think it's just the headgasket...
luckily it was on the dyno, and not on the side of the road...

i hope it is, but that's what it seems like, right?
cause if it's something internal, or a valve dropped: i'm out. i can't afford to do this anymore.

here's a picture of her, just so i get more views

[Modified by Ruckus138, 1:35 PM 1/20/2003]
Old 01-18-2003, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Black Smoke, White Smoke, Water everywhere, white watery oil, clean plugs....headgasket? (Ruckus

damn...that sucks.

best of luck erik.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Black Smoke, White Smoke, Water everywhere, white watery oil, clean plugs....headgasket? (Ruckus

did you do a compression and leakdown test? Im sure that wull help diagnose everything

diarhea...dont remind me of that

<<<<streak marks
Old 01-18-2003, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol
Old 01-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn Erik, keep us posted man...

hopefully it's nothign serious...

I miss cali
Old 01-18-2003, 04:13 PM

diarhea'd 20ft in the air! I can't even imagine your expression.
Best of luck. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:23 PM

car looks like it got some chin action
Old 01-18-2003, 04:28 PM

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but i'm betting you cracked a sleeve. Thought it was just the headgasket and when i spun the motor over without the plugs, it was like old faithful. Got the head off and there it was, cracked #1 sleeve.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:44 PM

thanks for the luck guys. heh. i can only cross my fingers.

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but i'm betting you cracked a sleeve. Thought it was just the headgasket and when i spun the motor over without the plugs, it was like old faithful. Got the head off and there it was, cracked #1 sleeve.
yep... that's exactly what i thought the second i saw it shoot up. but i just don't understand how it would do that, with such conservative tuning and 8 psi jeff and jerry assured me that it's probably the headgasket, but we'll know for sure on Monday when Jerry yanks the head off. If it's just the gasket, the head will be resurfaced, and a new OEM Headgasket will take over. i left it at the shop because I just don't have the time for this right now.
classes are already suffering, and i've been slacking off with work. bah!

but yeah, if it's the sleeves......... damn.
i mean it'd be such a shame to back out so soon, i never even got to let that thing loose...
i guess i'll have to tough it out..... whatever, i shouldn't worry till i find out what exactly it is.

and yes, it looked exactly like diarhea, and it shot all the way to the ceiling. and if you've ever seen inside Import Builders, thats pretty high.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:57 PM

Did it come out of all the holes? For that much to shoot out of one hole, gotta be the sleeves. A bad head gasket would allow a little water but a blast to the ceiling woah!
Old 01-18-2003, 08:06 PM

i'm curious tho? how do you go about cracking a sleeve, at only 8 psi, with proper tuning? just shitty luck? cause he showed me the fuel map and it looked perfect.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:09 PM

yeah actually it just came out of one hole
Old 01-19-2003, 12:24 AM

How many pulls did you do before it shot smoke out? The night my sleeve went out i was at the track doing numerous runs back to back and then several high speed runs on the way back. Guess it just took a beating that night and decided to let go. **** happens. Good luck man.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:29 AM

the fourth pull was when it went poof

but even during the 1-3rd runs i was noticing black smoke.

and up until then i was literally babying it... in fact those were the first runs that motor has actually seen boost
Old 01-20-2003, 12:34 PM

you guys were right... crack sleeve, #1 sleeve seriously has a hole in it. well and the headgasket exploded too...

Old 01-20-2003, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to hear that..get out the baby wipes, clean up the poop, and take a picture
Old 01-20-2003, 01:01 PM

Time to sleeve it.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stock or aftermarket sleeves?
Old 01-20-2003, 01:38 PM

welp... the honda-tech kids were right... sleeve #1 was totaly destroyed. and the headgasket ate itself up too.. apparently the motor i bought from jdmhondaparts had a bit(haha) more miles than we thought. he says he's never ever seen a sleeve crack like that. he showed me the a/f, 11.9 all across the board, everything was so smooth and perfect(as far as fuel goes).... so i'm confident Jeff was not to blame for this whatsoever.
I even remember when we first did the swap that there was a tiny bit of watter in cylinder#1, but figured it was from shipping.

this was with stock sleeves.

Old 01-20-2003, 01:58 PM

It probably already had a hairline crack. You doing a dyno run put it over the top.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:10 PM

How was your timing? Time to sleeve and make more power!
Old 01-20-2003, 04:18 PM

timing was 2 degrees retarded....

now it's time to decide whether i part it out, or somehow scrounge together the $ to build the crap out of it....
Old 01-20-2003, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUILD IT AGAIN! Don't let this set you back man! You can work through it.