Notices

BlaastPerformance Ebay Turbo Upgrade/Rebuild

Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BlaastPerformance Ebay Turbo Upgrade/Rebuild

I came across a company called BlaastPerformance based out of Canada and they seem to sell alot of OEM rebuilt turbos and are a place to send turbos to be rebuilt / upgraded and they seem to have a hand in higher HP builds aswell.

I noticed they offer a service to remanufacture your ebay turbo into a piece with genuine garrett internals and bearings and seals and such. For $270 with you sending in your core....

http://blaastperformance.com/index.php

Its under remanufacturing services.

I have a T3/T4 T04E .50/.63 that I bought off ebay years ago, it seems in fine shape just a little rusty on the exhaust side and some side to side shaft play.

Would this service be a good option for me? Would I get a reliable turbo I could use for a higher boost application? I am not sure if my turbo has a 360 degree bearing or not, but they offer that as an upgrade to other turbos for $140. But dont mention any upgrades available in the chinacharger service they offer.

I send them an email, but would love to hear some things I should consider / expect when going through something like this, or if anyone else has used there chinacharger upgrade service Id love to hear about your experience
Old 02-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BlaastPerformance Ebay Turbo Upgrade/Rebuild

I had them rebuild a turbo for me about 5 years ago; still running strong today. Mine was a genuine Garrett but I did upgrade to the 360 thrust bearing. Turn around was reasonable and I would use them again in the future.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They are known for rebuilding/upgrading turbos.. I've never heard anything bad

But by the time you buy a new eBay turbo, have it shipped to you, then ship it to them, do the upgrade and have it shipped back you could have bought a name brand turbo.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

And 140 for a 360* thrust bearing is retarded... it requires no modifications to the turbo. It bolts right up and the parts themselves are dirt cheap.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:38 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by wantboost
And 140 for a 360* thrust bearing is retarded... it requires no modifications to the turbo. It bolts right up and the parts themselves are dirt cheap.
Actually, those bearings have gone up in price new.. So that's about right for an upgrade on the trust bearing.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I can get a complete rebuild kit with a 360 bearing for less than half that.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:56 PM

I can get a complete rebuild kit with a 360 bearing for less than half that.
You keep forgetting.. Not everyone is you with your connections. That $140 is standard rate for those bearing upgrades now..

You keep trying to put yourself as though everyone has that elaborate network you have. So try not to give others that feeling that they're being taken when they are just Joe shmoe trying to get things done.

Don't you remember the golden rule?? SHHHHHH on your hook ups.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Oh yea lol
I guess I just forget what things cost for normal people.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had blasst rebuild my garrett many many years ago and the turbo is still in the car with many daily driven miles on it...good price and service IMO.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As mentioned above it is going to cost you about what a name brand turbo cost. Precision entry turbos start at under 6 bills?

Always plan a turbo rebuild to cost a little more if things are worse then it looks at first glance... bent blades etc...

I sent off a Precision turbo had purchased used to Precision... looked good and it was worse off then I thought. Rebuild had cost me close to $600...

By the time your done your going to be within a hundred or two of a new turbo...
Old 02-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yea lol
I guess I just forget what things cost for normal people.
Well if you know the right people, and I kinda know you, can I get some stuff through you with your commission added? Lol
Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Anyone with experience of blaast turning a chinacharger into a genuine garrett piece though??

I already have the ebay turbo is the only reason Im thinking of doing this.

And no presicion turbo will be in my car anytime soon with there reliability

Just curious if I should pull the trigger on them upgrading it to a garrett piece, and I would definitely do the 360 thrust bearing and probably get it jetcoated aswell
Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

This is what they emailed me:

Yes the chinese t3/t4 hot side will support 350 WHP and the compressor needs a little upsize to flow it easily.

Rebuild with 360 thrust and larger compressor impeller on the chinese t3t4 is 350$

I dont know the exact specifics of the impellor upgrade they are talking about
Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Find out first, all the details about the wheel, I would also ask exactly what the eBay turbo rebuild consists of... parts exchanged, are they new, used, who supplied them, etc. And if they say your turbo has an issue ask for pictures of said issue/damage and ask for those parts back. I doubt with their long standing history you have nothing to worry about, its just become routine practice for me

I can say this, since I started with Hondas 10+ some years ago, I've seen them as a standout company the whole time. They've been in business forever, have an amazing reputation and from what I understand the customer service is great.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I just sent them an email asking that. Going to be close to $500 for this rebuild with the ceramic coating.

I know you can get a new garrett piece for $650 or so, but it wouldnt have the 360 degree thrust bearing right?? Which I believe is necessary for higher boost applications

Just trying to figure out which route is the best for me
Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a turbo rebuilt by blaast a few years ago. It came back and was still smoking, so they took it back and fixed it again. Its still running today in a friends car no issues
Old 02-05-2013, 09:14 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

This is all they replied about the compressor wheel upgrade

we would keep your same comp cover and bore it out for the next larger compressor wheel size so it can easily flow 350 WHP.
Even if the comp A/R would change, this makes little to no difference on the behavior of the turbo.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Vagitarian
I just sent them an email asking that. Going to be close to $500 for this rebuild with the ceramic coating.

I know you can get a new garrett piece for $650 or so, but it wouldnt have the 360 degree thrust bearing right?? Which I believe is necessary for higher boost applications

Just trying to figure out which route is the best for me
Depends upon which one you get. The lower the cost, $650-$700 range, the more likely you'll have 270 degree bearing system. But for most people it really won't make a difference. When you start getting into the higher level and more custom setups, 360 degree bolted thrust bearings will be standard.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

So you think this is a good route since I have the chinese unit already shodan? Only $350 for a complete rebuild and upgrade to 360 degree thrust and upgrade to a larger compressor impellor and them machining my compressor housing to fit the new wheel

And the extra hundred for the ceramic coating just seems like a good thing to do to keep it in good shape
Old 02-05-2013, 11:42 AM

So you think this is a good route since I have the chinese unit already shodan? Only $350 for a complete rebuild and upgrade to 360 degree thrust and upgrade to a larger compressor impellor and them machining my compressor housing to fit the new wheel

And the extra hundred for the ceramic coating just seems like a good thing to do to keep it in good shape
I guess. I've never been a fan of trying to upgrade the chinese units. The manufacturers themselves are getting better at making their replicas, I'll give them that, but that still doesn't give me enough comfort to say without apprehension that I'd put faith in these "rebuilds" that blaast is performing utilizing Garrett parts. I'm only going from my past experiences, so if they've improved on their work, more power to them.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And no presicion turbo will be in my car anytime soon with there reliability
So you'd never run a name brand Precision turbo but you run a knock off ebay turbo?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by MalcolmV8
So you'd never run a name brand Precision turbo but you run a knock off ebay turbo?
This is where it gets dicey. Vagitarian believes that inherent value and security from failure will increase with an Ebay turbo that has been refitted with Garrett parts. Honestly, its tough to say, as that course of action still doesn't address the compressor/exhaust wheels, housings for cracking or burst containment, etc.

Me, I wouldn't do it, I have 4 of these things sitting as doorstops to my lab. But, Vagitarian may feel the risk is valid. Its up to him at this point.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I would never run either... I know how precisions customer service works when a bad turbo comes in... and I already know a Chinese unit is destined to fail.

For the majority of applications, 270 degree thrust bearings are fine, you'll never run a high enough pressure level/shaft speed to warrant a 360.

I would say a 360 is required on smaller units (gt28xx and gt30xx) as these units by definition have higher shaft speeds and attain higher pressure levels than an okd er technology unit.

It's also needed on large turbos as they will have higher thrust loads to begin with, due to the very large wheels and amount of side loading they have at any decent pressure level.

The older Garrett t04b/e turbos have worked perfectly fine with a 270* thrust assembly since they were introduced.

I wouldn't worry about it honestly, unless you plan on running the unit up to 25+ psi or some high number, effectively using the turbo to its limit
Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the cost of rebuilding a used chinese turbo with shaft play, I would rather buy a used Garrett...in fact, I did.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

It would be the safest route.., as Mac stated, while you're putting quality bearings and seals on the turbo, as well as a proper balancing... it still doesn't address the quality of the housings (I've seen them split like firewood) or the compressor wheel and turbine shaft.

The compressor wheel could still fail and send frag grenade type shrapnel through everything, including your hood and maybe even you.., turbine wheel could separate from the shaft or again, grenade into a million pieces damaging everything in its path.

As for upgrading the compressor wheel... have they told you who made the wheel? Swapping the compressor wheel for a known quality item still leaves one big issue... the turbine wheel.

I've never seen people run high pressure (20+ psi) on an eBay turbo... and when I see the few that did, they failed... wheels broke, housings cracked, etc. So if you put all of these name brand parts in a **** CHRA with a **** turbine wheel and **** housings and then crank the boost up thinking "oh it's got new internals, etc" the whole thing could be a lost cause because the turbine wheel failed..

Then you're out all of that money for a unit that cannot be replaced or repaired... so you make no money (unless you sell it for scrap, but expect beer money for that little bit of metal) when you could've spent 100 more dollars and gotten a decent Garrett unit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BlaastPerformance Ebay Turbo Upgrade/Rebuild