Notices

Biting the bullet for an install. How bad will it hurt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biting the bullet for an install. How bad will it hurt?

For the past several years I've managed to build up quite an expensive backporch. I think I've finally managed to collect all the necessary parts. The motor is fully built and the turbo is...well its in pieces, but its there. For the longest time I've been looking forward to putting it in.

However, thats just not going to happen. Nursing school kicks my *** full time and then some. Im sleep deprived, behind on projects, and have tests every week. I just don't have the time to do the install

So, to make a long story short, how much should I expect to pay for an install? Comprises: Pulling out my B18B and putting in the LS/VTEC motor, turbo, and electronics (hondata and gauges). Sounds easy, but I know its going to be a chore.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Biting the bullet for an install. How bad will it hurt? (rondigs)

in mississippi........$1500...in ny/nj area...$3500...
Old 10-14-2003, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Biting the bullet for an install. How bad will it hurt? (bigwig)

if you have the knowledge and the confidence, i would HIGHLY suggest re-considering and doing it yourself. not only will you learn a lot, but you'll know exactly where everything is and how it works, and if something breaks you can fix it twice as fast. also, you'll save a lot of money and you'll have a lot more pride when its all said and done. really, it wont take as long as you think. is this your only car? if it is, then i can maybe see your point. but if you can borrow a car from someone else or if you have a second one, why not just build your honda slowly, when you have time?

just my suggestion
Old 10-14-2003, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigwig &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in mississippi........$1500...in ny/nj area...$3500...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you serious? The average rate should be around $600-$1000 depending on the setup. We charge $600.00 for basic kit install.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Biting the bullet for an install. How bad will it hurt? (keebler65)

I guess I've just grown impatient...its only been like two or three years.
Yeah, its my only car.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:57 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get some friends to do it. i'd do it for
Old 10-14-2003, 07:58 PM

Ben, didn't I buy my turbo from you? (60-1 hifi w/ stage 5 exhaust side)

"We charge $600.00 for basic kit install" That doesn't include pulling one motor and putting another back in, does it? I think mine install will prove to be anti-basic.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Biting the bullet for an install. How bad will it hurt? (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get some friends to do it. i'd do it for </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good idea...see if you can talk any HT members into helping you out. Im sure for a 6 pack a peice they would be happy to help.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rondigs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ben, didn't I buy my turbo from you? (60-1 hifi w/ stage 5 exhaust side)

"We charge $600.00 for basic kit install" That doesn't include pulling one motor and putting another back in, does it? I think mine install will prove to be anti-basic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whoa I didn't realize it was that extensive. Yea that job would cost "slightly" more.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Biting the bullet for an install. How bad will it hurt? (ben@importparts.com)

I wish there were some HT members down here. Their all in florida, texas, cali, NJ, etc. The honda FI scene in mississppi is farrrrrrrr behind.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rondigs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wish there were some HT members down here. Their all in florida, texas, cali, NJ, etc. The honda FI scene in mississppi is farrrrrrrr behind. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I feel your pain man...same way here in NC. Very few people know their heads from a hole in the ground as far as boosted Hondas are considered.

EDIT: If you wanna make a trip to NC...me and a couple friends will help you out!!
Old 10-14-2003, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Biting the bullet for an install. How bad will it hurt? (Ricey McRicerton)

Thanks for the offer. However, Im under heavy time constraints. Im looking up information for my patient tomorrow as we speak.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:37 PM

i got mine installed with complete hard piping and everything for 400 bucks
Old 10-14-2003, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Biting the bullet for an install. How bad will it hurt? (ben@importparts.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ben@importparts.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you serious? The average rate should be around $600-$1000 depending on the setup. We charge $600.00 for basic kit install.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not going to mention any places names...but i asked how much it would cost for a greddy kit to get installed and a company in NYC that does tuning as well said $1500+ for the install(included turbo kit, hondata install, and clutch install) if i remember correctly. and a place in NJ that is supposed to be good threw out numbers in the same ball park. w/ the engine swap and it not being a kit but pieces...i picked about $3500...it could be off...but it was a guess...
Old 10-15-2003, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Biting the bullet for an install. How bad will it hurt? (Muckman)

Muckman,

If you install my kit, I'll have a Keg waiting with your name on it.

and anyone who does not believe Bigwig and NJ pricing, I've been quoted the same thing. Unfortantly in NJ only the "hackers" charge reasonable prices, and in that case you might as well do it yourself, cause you'll be fixing everything afterwards.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Biting the bullet for an install. How bad will it hurt? (COOKIEPUSS)

I let Jotech install my first turbo kit(revhard 2c), I was still a turbo noob and didnt have time to do it. They charged me $500(this was last april)

My current turbo kit, we installed at the house, It took 2 nights (because we had to stop due to lack of a part on first night) but it was well worth it
Old 10-15-2003, 07:06 AM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigwig &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Im not going to mention any places names...but i asked how much it would cost for a greddy kit to get installed and a company in NYC that does tuning as well said $1500+ for the install(included turbo kit, hondata install, and clutch install) if i remember correctly. and a place in NJ that is supposed to be good threw out numbers in the same ball park. w/ the engine swap and it not being a kit but pieces...i picked about $3500...it could be off...but it was a guess...</TD></TR></TABLE>

TUNING? Plug and play tuning? shoot me an IM and i'll hepl you install that **** much cheaper than that

Jeff-
Old 10-15-2003, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Biting the bullet for an install. How bad will it hurt? (quikB18B)

Just thought of something

Okay i think Jotech charges $1k for a R&R(swap removing existing motor and dropping in new motor), and like i said $500 for turbo install. Now lets just have an average of $1,500-2,000 for turbo, and motor install.

Why dont you find a beater/daily driver for like 1k, and then work on the weekends, take your time, remember school comes first, and do it at your own pace. You'll actually save $ depending on how much you spend on a beater, but you will also have one when your boosted in case you need some more downtime(trust me you will). Don't know if you've already considered this, but I think overall it's a great idea
Old 10-15-2003, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Biting the bullet for an install. How bad will it hurt? (quikB18B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikB18B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just thought of something

Okay i think Jotech charges $1k for a R&R(swap removing existing motor and dropping in new motor), and like i said $500 for turbo install. Now lets just have an average of $1,500-2,000 for turbo, and motor install.

Why dont you find a beater/daily driver for like 1k, and then work on the weekends, take your time, remember school comes first, and do it at your own pace. Youll actually save $ depending on how much you spend on a beater, but you will aslo have one when your boosted in case you ever have or need some more downtime. Don't know if you've already considered this, but I think overall it's a great idea </TD></TR></TABLE>

that's a damn good idea. ...
Old 10-15-2003, 09:38 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigwig &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Im not going to mention any places names...but i asked how much it would cost for a greddy kit to get installed and a company in NYC that does tuning as well said $1500+ for the install(included turbo kit, hondata install, and clutch install) if i remember correctly. and a place in NJ that is supposed to be good threw out numbers in the same ball park. w/ the engine swap and it not being a kit but pieces...i picked about $3500...it could be off...but it was a guess...</TD></TR></TABLE>

$1,500 for turbo kit install & clutch install & hondata install + tuning sounds about right.

Normally it cost about $350-400 for clutch install
$500 for turbo kit install
and 400-600 for hondata install AND tuning.
For those that think hondata is "plug and play" tuning should do some more reading.
There are other things invovled with hondata.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Biting the bullet for an install. How bad will it hurt? (ekb18c)

DIY, saves $ and you'll learn a ton about your car and be able to diagnose whats wrong with it when something does go wrong.

Blaze
Old 10-15-2003, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Biting the bullet for an install. How bad will it hurt? (Blaze45)

Thanks for the replies. Not sure what I'm gonna do.....
Old 10-15-2003, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Biting the bullet for an install. How bad will it hurt? (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

EDIT: If you wanna make a trip to NC...me and a couple friends will help you out!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am in NC as well, the Northeastern part (Elizabeth City) and I would love to learn by getting in and helping out on someone's turbo install. I am in the process of a budget turbo install right now, well, for now I am just piecing together the parts, but it will soon be install time. I am going to try to get some help, I am mechanically inclined, but I haven't ever messed with turbos before.

If you are considering taking Ricey up on his offer, count me in as well!