Notices

BIG TURBO COMPRESSOR FILTER QUESTION? (knowledge and opinions are welcomed but need proof)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG TURBO COMPRESSOR FILTER QUESTION? (knowledge and opinions are welcomed but need proof)

Okay, so here goes. And yes, I have searches but have not found any relative topics.
So my friend and I got in a big argument about the turbo air filter. He says it is better to have piping that leads outside the engine bay to a filter so that cold air gets sucked in creating better performance or drivability towards your engine.
I feel that the ideal way of having your turbo filter set up is having just a filter on your compressor, that way you have more air getting sucked in and long piping is more restrictive.

HIM---Colder air causes less detonation when driving in hot weather and more oxygen gets sucked in when air is colder because cold air is more dense.

ME---Long piping on compressor is like sucking on a 2 liter pepsi bottle with a straw. And cold air to turbo will become hot no matter what heating up in compressor or hot pipe. It contradicts the reason of having an intercooler.

Any ways, let the flaming begin but I deserve a little info at least. OH YEAH AND THIS IS ABOUT ANY CAR THAT IS DAILY DRIVEN NOT FOR JUST DRAGGING OR RACING.