Notices

big milling on my new engine.what cam gear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 05:13 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default big milling on my new engine.what cam gear?

i'm in the process of building a d16a6 with eagle rods and YCP vitara pistons.

on the a6, stock head/block, this piston would put the compression levels in the mid/high 7's i believe, which is too low for me. i'm planning on haveing 15 thousandths milled off BOTH the head and block, which would make 30 thousandths total. this would 1) up the compression to acceptable levels, and 2) give me perfect headgasket seal surfaces (stupid a6 has remnants from the stupid fiber gasket...and scratches from removing it.)

my question is, is there a factory cam gear that would advance my timing a few degrees to compensate for the head sitting lower? i know 12 thousandths or so warrants a 1 degree advancement, so i'd need about 2.5 degrees..

doesnt the dual point engine's gear advance timing versus a stock a6? i have LOTS Of those gears sitting around.

or should i just forget about it and plop the head on? (head will be stock/rebuilt, maybe moderate DIY port/polish if i have time)

or should i break down and buy a adj. cam gear? (running out of budget though, looking to save some cash if the dual point gear advances a bit)

i tried searching and couldnt figure out what the dual point gear does, but i've read its different.

this engine will be in my 90 hatch with my current turbo setup. shooting for 250 whp reliably. thanks-adam

this is cut and pasted from d-series.org.