Notices

Best way to determine where oil is coming from

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best way to determine where oil is coming from

So recently my car has been blowing some smoke. I am pretty sure it is oil just because it has a little bit of a blueish tint and isn't as billowy as antifreeze. and it smells pretty bad.

It is really noticeable when at idle, ie sitting at a stop light. It only occurs after the car has warmed up. It might be blowing some when driving but not enough that i can see.

I am running a D16z6 eagle/vitara build with a garret T3/T04E 57 trim at 15 psi. tuned by me on crome pro. The most recent things I did were new ported oil pump, water pump, timing belt, head gasket, exhaust gasket, turbo gasket and radiator. just yesterday i put in a cheap catch can, instead of the little breather I had on my valve cover. i belive it might have stated before the catch can, but after the oil pump etc. I use Mobile 1 full synthetic 10w-40. To feed the turbo oil i use the steathmode performance kit.

Could the catch can cause this? and if not what is the easy est way of checking where the oil is coming from. I know i can check my charge piping for oil, but does that nessicaryly rule out that the turbo is leaking?

Any help is appreciated
Old 03-29-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Best way to determine where oil is coming from

Unbolt your downpipe. If you see oil around the turbine fins your turbo could have a leaking seal. Are you running an oil restrictor?
Old 03-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, its a sleeve bearing, so i shouldn't really need one right?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having this same problem right now with a turbonetics T3/T4 57 trim. everything has been fine for years and just had it rebuilt twice because the first time it leaked like crazy out of the exhaust. this time around, I used a restrictor, but with the same results. so down for try number 3. hopefully this is the last. he rebuilt it for me the second time for free. it makes no sense to me why I'm using a restrictor now when for 5 years I have never. goodluck with your mission. hopefully you get your answers. I would remove the downpipe and start there first.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I actually figured it out, I check my oil and AF this morning, and both looked OK, so i disconnected the hose that went from the valve cover to the catch can and drove to work. Car completely warmed up, I sat in traffic and at stop lights, and no smoke. so one more lesson, done buy cheap ebay catch cans. the hoses were too small, and the fittings on the top of the can were very poorly designed and so did not flow very well at all, so it was just creating crank case pressure, and pushing the oil through the rings or valve seals. I figured how could they **** up a catch can, but i guess they did, but i guess for 10 bux what can you expect, you get what you pay for.