Notices

Best Turbo Kits

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Turbo Kits

What, in your all opinions, is the best turbo kit available for a SOHC and why? No flames please on the SOHC..im looking for edjucation here. Thanks
Old 02-14-2004, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Turbo Kits (DsCivicEx)

from what i hear and what i'm going to be doing in the future is an IHI RHB5 turbo. starts spooling at 2.8k-3k and keeps building boost till redline
Old 02-14-2004, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Best Turbo Kits (Donkey85)

looks like a nice turbo but Im looking for a whole kit...basically a beginners turbo lol
Old 02-14-2004, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the greddy kit seems to be a popular and affordable choice pretty basic though. the new edelbrock kit for the d16 is pretty complete, looks nice.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Best Turbo Kits (tominos)

you could probably piece together a better kit for less than what most complete kits go for. if you just want something cheap and easy, then get the greddy kit.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:39 PM

can anyone give me a list of what I would need if I was to piece one together
Old 02-14-2004, 03:52 PM

the greddy kit
Old 02-14-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Re: (DsCivicEx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DsCivicEx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can anyone give me a list of what I would need if I was to piece one together</TD></TR></TABLE>
why don't you search, or just look at the list of what comes in the kit ... you need ALL of it
Old 02-14-2004, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best Turbo Kits (koldfirez)

If you are looking for a complete kit then I would suggest the Drag 3 Turbo kit. You can find it one dragturbokits.com or inlinefour.com. But if you can piece together your own kit it will be much more cost effective. Good Luck
Old 02-14-2004, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18bEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18bEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
why don't you search, or just look at the list of what comes in the kit ... you need ALL of it </TD></TR></TABLE>

For real, do some research, decide on your own what would be the best choice for YOU and YOUR setup
Old 02-14-2004, 05:01 PM

Default Re: (sickSOLvtec)

REVHARD all the way. there kits are awesome!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2004, 05:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DsCivicEx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can anyone give me a list of what I would need if I was to piece one together</TD></TR></TABLE>

a basic pieced together kit would consist of a turbo, intercooler, manifold, downpipe, wastegate (depends on if the turbo you choose has an internal wastegate or requires an external wastegate), and a blow off valve, and a source of tuning (VAFC, SAFC, FMU, Hondata etc...). those are the parts you'll need if you're planning on having it installed by a good performance shop, they'll usually provide the oil lines, fittings, charge pipes, etc...

if youre planning on doing all the work yourself, you're going to need to get some charge pipes made. usually any good muffler shop can do that for you. its easier to get the measurements yourself and just give them to the shop and theyll make the pipes, but some shops will do the measuring for you. youll have to tap into your oil pan and weld a fitting in there for the oil line. youll also need to source all the lines and fittings yourself.

thats all just off the top of my head, so its probably missing a lot of info.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:24 PM

Default Re: (Can'tCatchMe)

REV HARD kits suck!!! Greddy

why REV HARD sucks? I watched the intallation!

pipes dont fit right you have to cut them. blow off vavle was missing the little screws that go into it for the boost controller the nipple or somthing.

Manifold comes to close to the A/C lines. oil flange that is to be welded had to be cut wayyyy to long. The down pipe was half way, needed a flange. No dump! and for all that money everything should have been perfect! At least in my opinion the kit sucks and all the above is why. but at least it comes with a T3 and its chrome and nice intercooler.

Greddy why?

my friend and i installed one! for a SOHC pretty simple! he did most of it! but it was so easy to put it on no cutting! everthing bolted right up! all screws were included. downpipe was complete. needed no dump! internal wastegate. the only thing i dont like is it does not come with a intercooler a small turbo and no blow off valve! have to order one.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CantCatchMe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">REVHARD all the way. there kits are awesome!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-14-2004, 05:47 PM

Default Re: (civicHBphtride)

Yes rev hard is not just a bolt on kit. But once you get it on it is the sickist kit you will ever have.If you never and i mean never want to run more than 6psi buy a GReddy turbo. The only thing GREddy has going for them is there kits are easy to install&gt;
Old 02-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Turbo Kits (Mar_EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mar_EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you could probably piece together a better kit for less than what most complete kits go for. if you just want something cheap and easy, then get the greddy kit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's tough to piece one together for less. I'm in the process of doing, the only advantage of building your own kit, is that you get the parts that you want. You don't have to use a deltagate or log style manifold.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best Turbo Kits (ptran13)

****, buy my kit. Complete kit to get you up and running.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Best Turbo Kits (Ricey McRicerton)

so if I get a greddy kit i cant run any more that 6psi? I plan on doing some other work and would like the option of upgrading. Another few questions. Anything I should look out for when buying a greddy kit "brand new" off ebay? Not usually the ebay shopper but if they are new then why not I guess. And what I would like to do is run a small boost like 6-10 ,at MOST, psi and spray like a 50-75 shot of nitrous. I whole fuel system is complete and redone and capable of producing lots of fuel. I also have a VAFC so I can manage it too. Whats involved with nitrous on top of a turbo?
Old 02-14-2004, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's all about going custom
Old 02-14-2004, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Best Turbo Kits (5thgencivic)

i've read alot of good things about the SOHC A'pexi kit, although it is discontinued now, you can find them for sale used. Awesome kit from what i've read in regards to build quality, oem-like fit, ball bearing turbo, no fuel mgmt (so you can get hondata and not be supplied w/ some ghetto fuel mgmt). It doesn't come w/ bov or intercooler, however, they can be purchased seperately.

hope that helps. gluck
Old 02-15-2004, 02:31 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DsCivicEx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so if I get a greddy kit i cant run any more that 6psi? I plan on doing some other work and would like the option of upgrading. Another few questions. Anything I should look out for when buying a greddy kit "brand new" off ebay? Not usually the ebay shopper but if they are new then why not I guess. And what I would like to do is run a small boost like 6-10 ,at MOST, psi and spray like a 50-75 shot of nitrous. I whole fuel system is complete and redone and capable of producing lots of fuel. I also have a VAFC so I can manage it too. Whats involved with nitrous on top of a turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can run more than 6psi. its just the fact that that it doesn't come with an intercooler that you wouldn't want to run any more. a lot of people dont like the GReddy kit because its uses such a small turbo and doesnt have a BOV or intercooler, but it's definitly a great start for someone who's new to the whole turbo thing, and it definitly leaves a lot of room for upgrades. a guy i know made about 198whp on a D16Y8 using the standard GReddy kit w/DSM side mount intercooler and 1stgen DSM BOV. i dont know how much boost he was running, but it was a lot more than 6psi. i think it was tuned with a hondata.

i dont know ish about nitrous.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DsCivicEx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">..im looking for edjucation here. Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is just ******* classic.

Rob
Old 02-15-2004, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

drag and revhard both arent easy installs. Nothing lines up and brackets arent bent right in my experiences.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:38 AM

You all mentioned that the Greddy kit doesnt come with a BOV which is kinda better cuase I have one in mind I want. But does it have a spot for one to be welded or bolted on?
Old 02-15-2004, 07:40 AM

the greddy doesn't have a flange for one since its a carb legal kit. however, get a shop to weld the flange on.

I still say go A'pexi
Old 02-15-2004, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VinceVTEC)

Apex'i or Eelbrock

Quick Reply: Best Turbo Kits